- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 256934, 7 pages
Antitussive Efficacy and Safety Profile of Ethyl Acetate Fraction of Terminalia chebula
1Department of Pharmacy, Hazara University, Havelian Campus, Havelian, Abbottabad 22500, Pakistan
2Section of Pharmacology, H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
3Comsats Institute of Information Technology, Abbottabad 22000, Pakistan
4Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
5Section of Neurosciences and Ethics, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 19945-587, Iran
Received 25 May 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editors: K.-A. Chuang and R. Couture
Copyright © 2013 Rizwan ul Haq et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. H. Abelson, “Medicine from plants,” Science, vol. 247, article 513, no. 4942, 1990.
- H. G. Vogel, “Similarities between various systems of traditional medicine. Considerations for the future of ethnopharmacology,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 179–190, 1991.
- N. R. Farnsworth, O. Akerele, and A. S. Bingel, “Medicinal plants in therapy,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 965–981, 1985.
- J. Gruenwald, T. Brendler, and C. Jaenicke, Eds., PDR for Herbal Medicine, Medical Economics Company, Montvale, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- M. Miyagoshi, S. Amagaya, and Y. Ogihara, “Antitussive effects of L-ephedrine, amygdalin, and Makyokansekito (Chinese traditional medicine) using a cough model induced by sulfur dioxide gas in mice,” Planta Medica, vol. 4, pp. 275–278, 1986.
- R.-U. Haq, A.-U. A. Shah, A.-U. Khan et al., “Antitussive and toxicological evaluation of Vitex negundo,” Natural Product Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 484–488, 2012.
- R. U. Haq, U. Farooq, A. Wahab, M. Raza, V. U. Ahmad, and R. A. Khan, “Investigation of antitussive and toxicological activity of Ballota limbata in mice,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 627–632, 2011.
- R. W. März and H. Matthys, “Phytomedicines in the treatment of diseases of the lower respiratory tract. What is proven?” in Phytopharmaka III, D. Loew and N. Reitbrock, Eds., pp. 161–178, Steinkopff, Darmstadt, Germany, 1997.
- S. R. Baquar, Medicinal and Poisonous Plants of Pakistan, Printas, Karachi, Pakistan, 1989.
- K. R. Kirtikar and B. M. Basu, Indian Medicinal Plants, Apura Krishna Bose Indian Press, Allahabad, India, 1918.
- H. M. Said, Hamdard Pharmacopoeia of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard National Foundation; Times Press; Sadar, Karachi, Pakistan, 1970.
- P. C. Braga, “Experimental models for the study of cough,” in Cough, P. C. Braga and L. Allegra, Eds., pp. 55–70, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- A. J. May and J. G. Widdicombe, “Depression of the cough reflex by pentobarbitone and some opium derivatives,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 9, pp. 335–340, 1954.
- J. C. Weidemier, “A screening method for antitussive compounds,” Acta Physiologica et Pharmacologica Neerlandica, vol. 9, pp. 501–508, 1960.
- M. G. Belvisi and D. J. Hele, “Animal models of cough,” in Cough: Causes, Mechanisms and Therapy, H. Boushey, K. F. Chung, and J. G. Widdicombe, Eds., pp. 217–222, Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK, 2003.
- D. Lorke, “A new approach to practical acute toxicity testing,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 275–287, 1983.
- L. L. Coughenour, J. R. McLean, and R. B. Parker, “A new device for the rapid measurement of impaired motor function in mice,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 351–353, 1977.
- J. Kamei, Y. Iwamoto, M. Misawa, and Y. Kasuya, “Effects of rimcazole, a specific antagonist of σ sites, on the antitussive effects of non-narcotic antitussive drugs,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 242, no. 2, pp. 209–211, 1993.
- C. J. Kotzer, D. W. P. Hay, G. Dondio, G. Giardina, P. Petrillo, and D. C. Underwood, “The antitussive activity of δ-opioid receptor stimulation in guinea pigs,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 292, no. 2, pp. 803–809, 2000.
- K. F. Chung and A. B. Chang, “Therapy for cough: active agents,” Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 335–338, 2002.
- H. P. Rang, M. M. Dale, and J. M. Ritter, Pharmacology, Churchill Livingstone, 4th edition, 1999.
- J.-A. Karlsson, A.-S. Lanner, and C. G. A. Persson, “Airway opioid receptors mediate inhibition of cough and reflex bronchoconstriction in guinea pigs,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 252, no. 2, pp. 863–868, 1990.
- Z. R. Chen, R. J. Irvine, A. A. Somogyi, and F. Bochner, “Mu receptor binding of some commonly used opioids and their metabolites,” Life Sciences, vol. 48, no. 22, pp. 2165–2171, 1991.
- V. E. Tyler, “Phytomedicines: back to the future,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 1589–1592, 1999.
- P. V. Dicpinigaitis and J. B. Dobkin, “Antitussive effect of the GABA-agonist baclofen,” Chest, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 996–999, 1997.
- R. L. Mcleod, L. E. Parra, J. C. Mutter et al., “Nociceptin inhibits cough in the guinea-pig by activation of ORL1 receptors,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1175–1178, 2001.
- D. W. P. Hay, G. A. M. Giardina, D. E. Griswold et al., “Nonpeptide tachykinin receptor antagonists. III. SB 235375, a low central nervous system-penetrant, potent and selective neurokinin-3 receptor antagonist, inhibits citric acid-induced cough and airways hyper-reactivity in guinea pigs,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 300, no. 1, pp. 314–323, 2002.
- V. Schulz, R. Hänsel, and V. Tyler, Rational Phytotherapy, a Physicians’ Guide to Herbal Medicine, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 4th edition, 2001.
- I. Ziment, “Herbal antitussives,” Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 327–333, 2002.
- A. Amit, V. S. Saxena, N. Pratibha et al., “Mast cell stabilization, lipoxygenase inhibition, hyaluronidase inhibition, antihistaminic and antispasmodic activities of Aller-7, a novel botanical formulation for allergic rhinitis,” Drugs Under Experimental and Clinical Research, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 107–115, 2003.
- J. J. Adcock, “Peripheral opioid receptors and the cough reflex,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 85, pp. 43–46, 1991.
- C. A. Monteleone and A. R. Sherman, “Nutrition and asthma,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 1997.
- S. Eriksson, “Pulmonary emphysema and alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency,” Acta medica Scandinavica, vol. 175, pp. 197–205, 1964.
- L. Grievink, H. A. Smit, M. C. Ocké, P. Van 'T Veer, and D. Kromhout, “Dietary intake of antioxidant (pro)-vitamins, respiratory symptoms and pulmonary function the MORGEN study,” Thorax, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 166–171, 1998.
- E. Omenaas, Ø. Fluge, A. S. Buist, W. M. Vollmer, and A. Gulsvik, “Dietary vitamin C intake is inversely related to cough and wheeze in young smokers,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 134–142, 2003.
- H.-Y. Cheng, T.-C. Lin, K.-H. Yu, C.-M. Yang, and C.-C. Lin, “Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of Terminalia chebula,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1331–1335, 2003.
- M. K. Gautam, S. Goel, R. R. Ghatule, A. Singh, G. Nath, and R. K. Goel, “Curative effect of Terminalia chebula extract on acetic acid-induced experimental colitis: role of antioxidants, free radicals and acute inflammatory marker,” Inflammopharmacology. In press.
- G. H. Naik, K. I. Priyadarsini, D. B. Naik, R. Gangabhagirathi, and H. Mohan, “Studies on the aqueous extract of Terminalia chebula as a potent antioxidant and a probable radioprotector,” Phytomedicine, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 530–538, 2004.
- K. C. Huang, Pharmacology of Chinese Herbs, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- J. A. Duke, Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2002.