- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 359034, 9 pages
Electrical Behaviors of Flame Retardant Huntite and Hydromagnesite Reinforced Polymer Composites
1Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Dokuz Eylül University, Tınaztepe Campus, 35160 Izmir, Turkey
2Center for Fabrication and Applications of Electronic Materials (EMUM), Dokuz Eylül University, Tınaztepe Campus, 35160 Izmir, Turkey
Received 2 August 2012; Accepted 28 August 2012
Academic Editors: A. F. Halasa and A. Mousa
Copyright © 2012 Hüsnügül Yılmaz Atay and Erdal Çelik. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. G. McCrum, C. P. Buckley, and C. B. Bucknall, Principles of Polymer Engineering, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1997.
- P. C. Painter and M. M. Coleman, Essentials of Polymer Science and Engineering, 2008.
- “Introduction to polymers,” Copolymers, 2010, http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=397829§ion=2.3.6.
- M. O’Driscoll, “Plastic compounding, Where mineral meets polymer,” Industrial Minerals, December 1994.
- F. Laoutid, L. Bonnaud, M. Alexandre, J. M. Lopez-Cuesta, and P. Dubois, “New prospects in flame retardant polymer materials: from fundamentals to nanocomposites,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 100–125, 2009.
- A. F. Grand and C. A. Wilkie, Fire Retardancy of Polymeric Materials, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- A. A. Basfar and H. J. Bae, “Influence of magnesium hydroxide and huntite hydromagnesite on mechanical properties of ethylene vinyl acetate compounds crosslinked by dicumyl peroxide and ionizing radiation,” Journal of Fire Sciences, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 161–180, 2010.
- L. Haurie, A. I. Fernández, J. I. Velasco, J. M. Chimenos, J. M. L. Cuesta, and F. Espiell, “Synthetic hydromagnesite as flame retardant. Evaluation of the flame behaviour in a polyethylene matrix,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 989–994, 2006.
- M. L. Bras, S. Bourbigot, S. Duquesne, C. Jama, and C. Wilkie, Fire Retardancy of Polymers New Applications of Mineral Fillers, 2005.
- A. B. Morgan, J. M. Cogen, R. S. Opperman, and J. D. Harris, “The effectiveness of magnesium carbonate-based flame retardants for poly (ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) and poly (ethylene-co-ethyl acrylate),” Fire and Materials, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 387–410, 2007.
- R. Scidt, “In the line of fire, flame retardants overview,” Industrial Minerals, pp. 37–41, February 1999.
- M. Weber, “Mineral flame retardants, overview & future trends,” in Proceedings of the European Minerals & Markets (Euromin ’99), pp. 8–10, Nice, France, June 1999.
- R. J. Mureinik, “Flame retardants, minerals’ growth in plastics,” in Proceedings of the Industrial Minerals Information Ltd., IMIL Conference (Euromin ’97), pp. 8–10, Barcelona, Spain, June 1997.
- M. Xanthos, Functional Fillers for Plastic, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- A. I. Fernández, L. Haurie, J. Formosa, J. M. Chimenos, M. Antunes, and J. I. Velasco, “Characterization of poly(ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) (EVA) filled with low grade magnesium hydroxide,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 57–60, 2009.
- J. H. Schut, “Nanocomposites Do More with Less,” Plastics Technology-http://www.PTOOnline.com, 2009.
- H. Y. Atay and E. Çelik, “Use of Turkish huntite/hydromagnesite mineral in plastic materials as a flame retardant,” Polymer Composites, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1692–1700, 2010.
- R. N. Rothon, “General principles guiding selection and use of particulate materials,” in Particulate-Filled Polymer Composites, Rapra, Shropshire-UK, 2nd edition, 2003.
- W. D. Callister, Materials Science and Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 2003.
- A. R. Blythe, Electrical Properties of Polymers, Cambridge Solid State Science Series, 1979.
- P. Horowitz and W. Hill, The Art of Electronics, Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- A. Kennelly, “Impedance,” American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE), 1893.
- S. Musikant, What Every Engineer Should Know about Ceramics, CRC Press, 1991.
- S. Ramo, J. R. Whinnery, and T. V. Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1994.
- M. Z. Camur and H. Mutlu, “Major-ion geochemistry and mineralogy of the Salt Lake (Tuz Gölü) basin, Turkey,” Chemical Geology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 313–329, 1996.
- W. M. Last, “Petrology of modern carbonate hardgrounds from East Basin lake, a saline maar lake, Southern Australia,” Sedimentary Geology, vol. 81, no. 3-4, pp. 215–229, 1992.
- L. Haurie, A. I. Fernandez, J. I. Velasco, J. M. Chimenos, J. M. Lopez-Cuesta, and F. Espiell, “Effects of milling on the thermal stability of synthetic hydromagnesite,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1010–1018, 2007.
- N. J. S. Sohi, M. Rahaman, and D. Khastgir, “Dielectric property and electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness of ethylene vinyl acetate-based conductive composites: effect of different type of carbon fillers,” Polymer Composites, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1148–1154, 2011.
- N. K. Shrivastava and B. B. Khatua, “Development of electrical conductivity with minimum possible percolation threshold in multi-wall carbon nanotube/polystyrene composites,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 13, pp. 4571–4579, 2011.
- B. K. Singh, P. Kar, Nilesh K. Shrivastava, and B. B. Khatua, “Electrical and mechanical properties of ABS/MWCNT nanocomposites prepared by melt-blending,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 3165–3174, 2012.
- S. Thomas, P. Abdullateef, A. A. Al-Harthi, et al., “Electrical properties of natural rubber nanocomposites: effect of 1-octadecanol functionalization of carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 3344–3349, 2012.
- G. Chen, J. Lu, and D. Wu, “The electrical properties of graphite nanosheet filled immiscible polymer blends,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 104, no. 2-3, pp. 240–243, 2007.
- Z. Wen, T. Itoh, T. Uno, M. Kubo, and O. Yamamoto, “Thermal, electrical, and mechanical properties of composite polymer electrolytes based on cross-linked poly(ethylene oxide-co-propylene oxide) and ceramic filler,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 160, no. 1-2, pp. 141–148, 2003.