- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Preventive Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 319701, 8 pages
Media and Cultural Influences in African-American Girls’ Eating Disorder Risk
Department of Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology, Graduate School of Education, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14620, USA
Received 21 November 2012; Accepted 3 January 2013
Academic Editors: U. Abdel-Motal and V. Usonis
Copyright © 2013 Lakaii A. Jones and Catherine Cook-Cottone. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Lawrie, E. A. Sullivan, P. S. W. Davies, and R. J. Hill, “Media influence on the body image of children and adolescents,” Eating Disorders, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 355–364, 2006.
- J. Utter, D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Wall, and M. Story, “Reading magazine articles about dieting and associated weight control behaviors among adolescents,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 78–82, 2003.
- R. Lester and T. A. Petrie, “Physical, psychological, and societal correlates of bulimic symptomatology among African American college women,” Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 315–321, 1998.
- A. M. Mulhollanda and L. B. Mintz, “Prevalence of eating disorders among African American women,” Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 111–116, 2001.
- T. J. Silber, “Anorexia nervosa in blacks and hispanics,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 121–128, 1986.
- A. E. Becker, “Television, disordered eating, and young women in Fiji: negotiating body image and identity during rapid social change,” Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 533–559, 2004.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- T. M. Anthony and J. Yager, “Cultural considerations in eating disorders,” in Clinical Manual of Eating Disorders, J. Yager and P. S. Powers, Eds., pp. 387–405, American Psychiatric Publishing, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- M. Crago and C. M. Shisslak, “Ethnic differences in dieting, binge eating, and purging behaviors among American females: a review,” Eating Disorders, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 289–304, 2003.
- J. Y. Taylor, C. H. Caldwell, R. E. Baser, N. Faison, and J. S. Jackson, “Prevalence of eating disorders among blacks in the National Survey of American Life,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 40, pp. S10–S14, 2007.
- R. L. Spitzer, M. Devlin, B. T. Walsh et al., “Binge eating disorder: a multisite field trial of the diagnostic criteria,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 191–203, 1992.
- M. L. Kempa and A. J. Thomas, “Culturally sensitive assessment and treatment of eating disorders,” Eating Disorders, vol. 8, pp. 17–30, 2000.
- R. A. Botta, “The mirror of television: a comparison of Black and White adolescents' body image,” Journal of Communication, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 144–159, 2000.
- K. Gentile, C. Raghavan, V. Rajah, and K. Gates, “It doesn't happen here: eating disorders in an ethnically Diverse sample of economically disadvantaged, urban college students,” Eating Disorders, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 405–425, 2007.
- J. J. Arnett, Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media, SAGE, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2007.
- M. Crago, C. M. Shisslak, and L. S. Estes, “Eating disturbances among American minority groups: a review,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 239–248, 1996.
- K. A. James, L. Phelps, and A. L. Bross, “Body dissatisfaction, drive for thinness, and self-esteem in african american college females,” Psychology in the Schools, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 491–496, 2001.
- J. Demarest and R. Allen, “Body image: Gender, ethnic and age differences,” Journal of Social Psychology, vol. 140, pp. 465–472, 2000.
- A. E. Becker, R. A. Burwell, S. E. Gilman, D. B. Herzog, and P. Hamburg, “Eating behaviours and attitudes following prolonged exposure to television among ethnic Fijian adolescent girls,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 180, pp. 509–514, 2002.
- J. L. Austin and J. E. Smith, “Thin ideal internalization in mexican girls: a test of the sociocultural model of eating disorders,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 448–457, 2008.
- C. S. Warren, D. H. Gleaves, A. Cepeda-Benito, M. D. C. Fernandez, and S. Rodriguez-Ruiz, “Ethnicity as a protective factor against internalization of a thin ideal and body dissatisfaction,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 241–249, 2005.
- L. Phelps, L. S. Johnston, and K. Augustyniak, “Prevention of eating disorders: identification of predictor variables,” Eating Disorders, vol. 7, pp. 99–108, 1999.
- R. H. Striegel-Moore, G. B. Schreiber, K. M. Pike, D. E. Wilfley, and J. Rodin, “Drive for thinness in black and white preadolescent girls,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 1995.
- C. B. Anderson and C. M. Bulik, “Gender differences in compensatory behaviors, weight and shape salience, and drive for thinness,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2004.
- D. M. Garner, M. P. Olmstead, and J. Polivy, “Development and validation of a multidimensional eating disorder inventory for anorexia nervosa and bulimia,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 15–34, 1982.
- J. A. Atlas, “Review of the eating disorder inventory-3,” in Proceedings of the 17th Mental Measurements Yearbook, R. A. Spies, B. S. Plake, K. F. Geisinger, and J. F. Carlson, Eds., Buros Institute of Mental Measurements, Lincoln, Neb, USA, 2007.
- W. G. Johnson, F. G. Grieve, C. D. Adams, and J. Sandy, “Measuring binge eating in adolescents: adolescent and parent versions of the questionnaire of eating and weight patterns,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 301–314, 1999.
- L. J. Heinberg, J. K. Thompson, and S. Stormer, “Development and validation of the sociocultural attitudes towards appearance questionnaire,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 81–89, 1995.
- L. Smolak, M. P. Levine, and J. K. Thompson, “The use of the sociocultural attitudes towards appearance questionnaire with middle school boys and girls,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 216–223, 2001.
- J. Phinney, “The multigroup ethnic identity measure: a new scale for use with diverse groups,” Journal of Adolescent Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 156–176, 1992.
- F. C. Worrell, “A validity study of scores on the Multigroup Ethnic Identity Measure based on a sample of academically talented adolescents,” Educational and Psychological Measurement, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 439–447, 2000.
- P. O. Pegg and L. E. Plybon, “Toward the theoretical measurement of ethnic identity,” Journal of Early Adolescence, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 250–264, 2005.
- R. T. Hurlburt, Comprehending Behavioral Statistics, Thomson Wadsworth, Belmont, Calif, USA, 4th edition, 2006.
- D. Ary, L. C. Jacobs, A. Razavieh, and C. Sorensen, Introduction to Research in Education, Thomson Wadsworth, Belmont, Calif, USA, 7th edition, 2006.
- A. A. Caradas, E. V. Lambert, and K. E. Charlton, “An ethnic comparison of eating attitudes and associated body image concerns in adolescent South African schoolgirls,” Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 2001.
- C. Cook-Cottone, L. A. Jones, and S. Haugli, “Prevention of eating disorders among minority youth: a matched-sample repeated measures study,” Eating Disorders, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 361–376, 2010.
- D. T. Barry and C. M. Grilo, “Eating and body image disturbances in adolescent psychiatric inpatients: gender and ethnicity patterns,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 335–343, 2002.
- M. Scime and C. Cook-Cottone, “Primary prevention of eating disorders: a constructivist integration of mind and body strategies,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 134–142, 2008.
- D. A. Hargraves and M. Tiggemann, “Longer-term implications of responsiveness to 'thin-ideal' television: support for a cumulative hypothesis of body image disturbance?” European Eating Disorders Review, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 465–477, 2003.
- K. Harrison, “The body electric: thin-ideal media and eating disorders in adolescents,” Journal of Communication, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 119–143, 2000.
- A. Jordan, “The role of media in children's development: an ecological perspective,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 196–206, 2004.
- L. Shorter, S. L. Brown, S. J. Quinton, and L. Hinton, “Relationships between body-shape discrepancies with favored celebrities and disordered eating in young women,” Journal of Applied Social Psychology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1364–1377, 2008.
- S. E. French, E. Seidman, L. Allen, and J. L. Aber, “The development of ethnic identity during adolescence,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2006.
- D. Barnett, S. L. Kidwell, and K. H. Leung, “Parenting and preschooler attachment among low-income urban African American families,” Child Development, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1657–1671, 1998.
- T. M. Schwinn, S. P. Schinke, and D. N. Trent, “Substance use among late adolescent urban youths: mental health and gender influences,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 2010.
- N. Piran, “Prevention series. Teachers: on "being" (rather than "doing") prevention,” Eating Disorders, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- E. Stice, H. Shaw, and C. N. Marti, “A meta-analytic review of eating disorder prevention programs: encouraging findings,” Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, vol. 3, pp. 207–231, 2007.