- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 461265, 7 pages
Effectiveness of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Modified for Inpatients with Depression
1The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
2Perth Clinic, West Perth, WA 6005, Australia
Received 1 September 2011; Accepted 17 October 2011
Academic Editor: A. Mihaljevic-Peles
Copyright © 2012 Andrew C. Page and Geoff R. Hooke. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. E. Beutler and J. Clarkin, Systematic Treatment Selection: Toward Targeted Therapeutic Interventions, Brunner/Mazel Integrative Psychotherapy Series, Brunner/Mazel, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- L. E. Beutler, “Empirically based decision making in clinical practice,” Prevention & Treatment, vol. 3, article 27, 2000, http://journals.apa.org/prevention/volume3/pre0030027a.html.
- E. A. Newnham and A. C. Page, “Bridging the gap between best evidence and best practice in mental health,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 127–142, 2010.
- P. E. Nathan and J. M. Gorman, A Guide to Treatments That Work, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2007.
- J. J. Manning, G. R. Hooke, D. A. Tannenbaum, T. H. Blythe, and T. M. Clarke, “Intensive cognitive-behaviour group therapy for diagnostically heterogeneous groups of patients with psychiatric disorder,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 667–674, 1994.
- A. L. Peterson and T. S. Halstead, “Group cognitive behavior therapy for depression in a community setting: a clinical replication series,” Behavior Therapy, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 3–18, 1998.
- A. T. Beck, Cognitive Therapy for Emotional Disorders, New American Library, New York, NY, USA, 1976.
- W. McDermut, I. W. Miller, and R. A. Brown, “The efficacy of group psychotherapy for depression: a meta-analysis and review of empirical research,” Clinical Psychology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 98–116, 2001.
- P. M. McEvoy and P. Nathan, “Effectiveness of Cognitive Behavior Therapy for diagnostically heterogenous groups: a benchmarking study,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 344–350, 2007.
- A. C. Page, G. R. Hooke, and E. M. Rutherford, “Measuring mental health outcomes in a private psychiatric clinic: Health of the Nation Outcome Scales and Medical Outcomes Short Form SF-36,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 377–381, 2001.
- A. Ellis and R. A. Harper, A New Guide to Rational Living, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1975.
- A. C. Page and G. R. Hooke, “Outcomes for depressed and anxious inpatients discharged before or after group cognitive behavior therapy: a naturalistic comparison,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 191, no. 10, pp. 653–659, 2003.
- A. T. Beck and R. A. Steer, Beck Depression Inventory Manual, The Psychological Corporation, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 1987.
- A. R. Craig, J. A. Franklin, and G. Andrews, “A scale to measure locus of control behaviour,” British Journal of Medical Psychology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 173–180, 1984.
- M. Rosenberg, Conceiving of the Self, Basic Books, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- J. K. Wing, A. S. Beevor, R. H. Curtis, S. B. G. Park, S. Hadden, and A. Burns, “Health of the nation outcome scales (HoNOS): research and development,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 172, pp. 11–18, 1998.
- E. A. Newnham, K. E. Harwood, and A. C. Page, “The subscale structure and clinical utility of the Health of the Nation Outcome Scale,” Journal of Mental Health, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 326–334, 2009.
- American Psychiatric Association., Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1994.
- N. S. Jacobson and P. Truax, “Clinical significance: a statistical approach to defining meaningful change in psychotherapy research,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 12–19, 1991.
- L. A. Robinson, J. S. Berman, and R. A. Neimeyer, “Psychotherapy for the treatment of depression: a comprehensive review of controlled outcome research,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 30–49, 1990.
- A. C. Page and G. R. Hooke, “Increased attendance in inpatient group psychotherapy improves patient outcomes,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 426–428, 2009.