- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 390379, 11 pages
Synergistic Radioprotection by Gamma-Tocotrienol and Pentoxifylline: Role of cAMP Signaling
1Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Scientific Research Department, 8901 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
2University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 30 May 2013
Academic Editors: M. G. Andreassi and B. Puri
Copyright © 2013 Shilpa Kulkarni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. N. Coleman, H. B. Stone, J. E. Moulder, and T. C. Pellmar, “Modulation of radiation injury,” Science, vol. 304, no. 5671, pp. 693–694, 2004.
- F. Dumont, A. L. Roux, and P. Bischoff, “Radiation countermeasure agents: an update,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 73–101, 2010.
- M. Mac Manus, K. Lamborn, W. Khan, A. Varghese, L. Graef, and S. Knox, “Radiotherapy-associated neutropenia and thrombocytopenia: analysis of risk factors and development of a predictive model,” Blood, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 2303–2310, 1997.
- J. E. Arrand and B. D. Michael, “Recent advances in the study of ionizing radiation damage and repair,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 717–720, 1992.
- G. Multhoff and J. Radons, “Radiation, inflammation, and immune responses in cancer,” Frontiers in Oncology, vol. 2, p. 58, 2012.
- W. P. Roos and B. Kaina, “DNA damage-induced cell death by apoptosis,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 440–450, 2006.
- B. M. Y. Cheung and C. Li, “Diabetes and hypertension: is there a common metabolic pathway?” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 160–166, 2012.
- B. Garcia-Bailo, A. El-Sohemy, P. S. Haddad et al., “Vitamins D, C, and E in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus: modulation of inflammation and oxidative stress,” Biologics, vol. 5, pp. 7–19, 2011.
- S. Kulkarni, S. P. Ghosh, M. Hauer-Jensen, and K. S. Kumar, “Hematological targets of radiation damage,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1375–1385, 2010.
- A. M. Farese, F. Herodin, J. P. McKearn, C. Baum, E. Burton, and T. J. MacVittie, “Acceleration of hematopoietic reconstitution with a synthetic cytokine (SC-55494) after radiation-induced bone marrow aplasia,” Blood, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 581–591, 1996.
- J. P. Williams, S. L. Brown, G. E. Georges et al., “Animal models for medical countermeasures to radiation exposure,” Radiation Research, vol. 173, no. 4, pp. 557–578, 2010.
- S. P. Ghosh, S. Kulkarni, K. Hieber et al., “Gamma-tocotrienol, a tocol antioxidant as a potent radioprotector,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 598–606, 2009.
- S. Kulkarni, S. P. Ghosh, M. Satyamitra et al., “Gamma-tocotrienol protects hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in mice after total-body irradiation,” Radiation Research, vol. 173, no. 6, pp. 738–747, 2010.
- M. Berbe, Q. Fu, M. Boerma, J. Wang, K. S. Kumar, and M. Hauer-Jensen, “γ-Tocotrienol ameliorates intestinal radiation injury and reduces vascular oxidative stress after total-body irradiation by an HMG-CoA Reductase-dependent mechanism,” Radiation Research, vol. 171, no. 5, pp. 596–605, 2009.
- S. S. Kulkarni, L. H. Cary, K. Gambles, M. Hauer-Jensen, K. S. Kumar, and S. P. Ghosh, “Gamma-tocotrienol, a radiation prophylaxis agent, induces high levels of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 495–503, 2012.
- E. Ernst, “Pentoxifylline for intermittent claudication. A critical review,” Angiology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 339–345, 1994.
- H. R. Dettelbach and D. M. Aviado, “Clinical pharmacology of pentoxifylline with special reference to its hemorrheologic effect for the treatment of intermittent claudication,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 8–26, 1985.
- P. Haddad, B. Kalaghchi, and F. Amouzegar-Hashemi, “Pentoxifylline and vitamin E combination for superficial radiation-induced fibrosis: a phase II clinical trial,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 324–326, 2005.
- M. Amano, H. Monzen, M. Suzuki et al., “Increase in tumor oxygenation and potentiation of radiation effects using pentoxifylline, vinpocetine and ticlopidine hydrochloride,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 373–378, 2005.
- M. W. Dion, D. H. Hussey, and J. W. Osborne, “The effect of pentoxifylline on early and late radiation injury following fractionated irradiation in C3H mice,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 101–107, 1989.
- C. E. Rübe, F. Wilfert, D. Uthe et al., “Modulation of radiation-induced tumour necrosis factor α (TNF-α) expression in the lung tissue by pentoxifylline,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 177–187, 2002.
- M. Berbée, Q. Fu, S. Garg, S. Kulkarni, K. S. Kumar, and M. Hauer-Jensen, “Pentoxifylline enhances the radioprotective properties of γ-Tocotrienol: differential effects on the hematopoietic, gastrointestinal and vascular systems,” Radiation Research, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 297–306, 2011.
- N. Y. Kim, H. O. Pae, Y. C. Kim et al., “Pentoxifylline potentiates nitric oxide production in interleukin-1β-stimulated vascular smooth muscle cells through cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase A pathway,” General Pharmacology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 205–211, 2000.
- D. E. Cox and R. D. Edstrom, “Inhibition by calmodulin of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase activation of phosphorylase kinase,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 257, no. 21, pp. 12728–12733, 1982.
- S. Ishikawa, T. Saito, and T. Kuzuya, “Evidence for a role of calmodulin in cellular cAMP production in response to vasopressin, prostaglandin E2 and forskolin in cultured rat renal papillary collecting tubule cells,” Nippon Naibunpi Gakkai zasshi, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 823–834, 1985.
- D. J. Honess, I. F. Dennis, and N. M. Bleehen, “Pentoxifylline: its pharmacokinetics and ability to improve tumour perfusion and radiosensitivity in mice,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 208–218, 1993.
- S. I. Krivenko, S. I. Dryk, M. E. Komarovskaya, and L. V. Karkanitsa, “Ionizing radiation increases TNF/cachectin production by human peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro,” International Journal of Hematology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 127–130, 1992.
- J. S. Nandi, K. G. Nair, and S. Deo, “Inhibition cAMP-phosphodiesterase in the rat heart by pentoxifylline—a new xanthine derivative,” Advances in Myocardiology, vol. 1, pp. 359–365, 1980.
- W. Y. Cheung, T. J. Lynch, R. W. Wallace, and E. A. Tallant, “cAMP renders Ca2+-dependent phosphodiesterase refractory to inhibition by a calmodulin-binding protein (calcineurin),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 256, no. 9, pp. 4439–4443, 1981.
- C. Nieder, F. B. Zimmermann, M. Adam, and M. Molls, “The role of pentoxifylline as a modifier of radiation therapy,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 448–455, 2005.
- A. Ward and S. P. Clissold, “Pentoxifylline: a review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and its therapeutic efficacy,” Drugs, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 50–97, 1987.
- D. C. Dale, “Colony-stimulating factors for the management of neutropenia in cancer patients,” Drugs, vol. 62, supplement 1, pp. 1–15, 2002.
- T. J. MacVittie, A. M. Farese, W. G. Smith, C. M. Baum, E. Burton, and J. P. McKearn, “Myelopoietin, an engineered chimeric IL-3 and G-CSF receptor agonist, stimulates multilineage hematopoietic recovery in a nonhuman primate model of radiation-induced myelosuppression,” Blood, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 837–845, 2000.
- S. Kulkarni, P. K. Singh, S. P. Ghosh, A. Posarac, and V. K. Singh, “Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor antibody abrogates radioprotective efficacy of gamma-tocotrienol, a promising radiation countermeasure,” Cytokine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 278–285, 2013.
- R. Ansari, M. W. Gaber, B. Wang, C. B. Pattillo, C. Miyamoto, and M. F. Kiani, “Anti-TNFA (TNF-α) treatment abrogates radiation-induced changes in vascular density and tissue oxygenation,” Radiation Research, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 80–86, 2007.
- J. T. Chao, A. Gapor, and A. Theriault, “Inhibitory effect of δ-tocotrienol, a HMG CoA reductase inhibitor, on monocyte-endothelial cell adhesion,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 332–337, 2002.
- V. B. Wali, S. V. Bachawal, and P. W. Sylvester, “Suppression in mevalonate synthesis mediates antitumor effects of combined statin and γ-tocotrienol treatment,” Lipids, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 925–934, 2009.
- D. E. Cox, M. H. Meinke, and R. D. Edstrom, “Mechanism of calmodulin inhibition of cAMP-dependent protein kinase activation of phosphorylation kinase,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 259, no. 2, pp. 350–362, 1987.
- P. Mercié, M. Seigneur, and C. Conri, “Plasma thrombomodulin as a marker of vascular damage in systemic sclerosis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1440–1441, 1995.
- M. Seigneur, P. Dufourcq, F. Belloc, M. Lenoble, M. Renard, and M. R. Boisseau, “Influence of pentoxifylline on membrane thrombomodulin levels in endothelial cells submitted to hypoxic conditions,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 25, supplement 2, pp. S85–S87, 1995.
- C. C. Ross, S. L. MacLeod, J. R. Plaxco et al., “Inactivation of thrombomodulin by ionizing radiation in a cell-free system: possible implications for radiation responses in vascular endothelium,” Radiation Research, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 408–416, 2008.
- S. Ohdama, S. Takano, K. Ohashi, S. Miyake, and N. Aoki, “Pentoxifylline prevents tumor necrosis factor-induced suppression of endothelial cell surface thrombomodulin,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 745–755, 1991.