- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 251962, 5 pages
Wound Healing with Medications for Rheumatoid Arthritis in Hand Surgery
1Pulvertaft Hand Centre, Kings Treatment Centre, Royal Derby Hospital, Uttoxeter Road, Derby DE22 3NE, UK
2Department of Rheumatology, Royal Derby Hospital, Uttoxeter Road, Derby DE22 3NE, UK
3A. Alfred Taubman Health Care Center, University of Michigan Health System, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
4Curtis National Hand Center, Union Memorial Hospital, Johnston Professional Building, 2nd Floor, 3333 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 , USA
Received 30 September 2012; Accepted 4 November 2012
Academic Editors: A. Spreafico, P. Voulgari, and A. H. Wanivenhaus
Copyright © 2012 A. R. Barnard et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. L. Wilson, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the hand,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 17, pp. 313–343, 1986.
- K. Chakravarty, H. McDonald, T. Pullar et al., “BSR/BHPR guideline for disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD) therapy in consultation with the British Association of Dermatologists,” Rheumatology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 924–925, 2008.
- H. Pieringer, U. Stuby, and G. Biesenbach, “Patients with rheumatoid arthritis undergoing surgery: how should we deal with antirheumatic treatment?” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 278–286, 2007.
- C. R. Scanzello, M. P. Figgie, B. J. Nestor, and S. M. Goodman, “Perioperative management of medications used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” HSS Journal, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 141–147, 2006.
- S. R. K. Karukonda, T. C. Flynn, E. E. Boh, E. I. McBurney, G. G. Russo, and L. E. Millikan, “The effects of drugs on wound healing—part II. Specific classes of drugs and their effect on healing wounds,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 321–333, 2000.
- J. A. Singh, D. E. Furst, A. Bharat, J. R. Curtis, A. F. Kavanaugh, J. M. Kremer, et al., “Update of the 2008 American College of Rheumatology recommendations for the use of disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs and biologic agents in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 625–639, 2012.
- B. M. da Cunha, L. M. H. da Mota, and L. L. Dos Santos-Neto, “Risk of orthopaedic surgical site infections in patients with rheumatoid arthritis treated with antitumour necrosis factor alpha therapy,” International Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 2012, Article ID 369565, 5 pages, 2012.
- J. Calnan and A. Davies, “The effect of methotrexate (amethopterin) on wound healing: an experimental study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 505–512, 1965.
- C. Bibbo and J. W. Goldberg, “Infectious and healing complications after elective orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery during tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibition therapy,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 331–335, 2004.
- A. A. Den Broeder, M. C. W. Creemers, J. Fransen et al., “Risk factors for surgical site infections and other complications in elective surgery in patients with rheumatoid arthritis with special attention for anti-tumor necrosis factor: a large retrospective study,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 689–695, 2007.
- D. M. Grennan, J. Gray, J. Loudon, and S. Fear, “Methotrexate and early postoperative complications in patients with rheumatoid arthritis undergoing elective orthopaedic surgery,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 214–217, 2001.
- J. Ledingham and C. Deighton, “Update on the British Society for Rheumatology guidelines for prescribing TNFα blockers in adults with rheumatoid arthritis (update of previous guidelines of April 2001),” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 157–163, 2005.
- W. G. Dixon, K. Watson, M. Lunt, K. L. Hyrich, A. J. Silman, and D. P. M. Symmons, “Rates of serious infection, including site-specific and bacterial intracellular infection, in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2368–2376, 2006.
- T. Ding, J. Ledingham, R. Luqmani, S. Westlake, K. Hyrich, M. Lunt, et al., “BSR and BHPR rheumatoid arthritis guidelines on safety of anti-TNF therapies,” Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 2217–2219, 2010.