- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 609701, 15 pages
Thermodynamics/Dynamics Coupling in Weakly Compressible Turbulent Stratified Fluids
Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, Earley Gate, P.O. Box 243, Reading RG6 6BB, UK
Received 6 December 2011; Accepted 22 January 2012
Academic Editors: E. Curotto and N. Marmier
Copyright © 2012 Rémi Tailleux. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Tailleux, “On the energetics of stratified turbulent mixing, irreversible thermodynamics, Boussinesq models and the ocean heat engine controversy,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 638, pp. 339–382, 2009.
- R. Tailleux, “Entropy versus APE production: on the buoyancy power input in the oceans energy cycle,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 37, no. 22, Article ID L22603, 2010.
- G. O. Hughes and R. W. Griffiths, “Horizontal convection,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 40, pp. 185–208, 2008.
- J. Boussinesq, Théorie Analytique de la Chaleur, vol. 2, Gauthiers-Villars, Paris, France, 1903.
- Y. Ogura and N. A. Phillips, “Scale analysis and shallow convection in the atmopshere,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 19, pp. 173–179, 1962.
- O. Pauluis, “Thermodynamic consistency of the anelastic approximation for a moist atmosphere,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 2719–2729, 2008.
- A. P. Ingersoll, “Boussinesq and anelastic approximations revisited: Potential energy release during thermobaric instability,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1359–1369, 2005.
- W. R. Young, “Dynamic enthalpy, conservative temperature, and the seawater Boussinesq approximation,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 394–400, 2010.
- J. Nycander, “Horizontal convection with a non-linear equation of state: generalization of a theorem of Paparella and Young,” Tellus, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 134–137, 2010.
- R. Tailleux, “Thermodynamics/dynamics coupling and thermodynamic consistency of Boussinesq and anelastic binary fluids with an arbitrary nonlinear equation of state,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.5071.
- H. B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics, Wiley, 1985.
- R. A. Alberty, “Use of legendre transforms in chemical thermodynamics,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1349–1380, 2001.
- R. Feistel, “A new extended Gibbs thermodynamic potential of seawater,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 43–114, 2003.
- K. B. Winters, P. N. Lombard, J. J. Riley, and E. A. D'Asaro, “Available potential energy and mixing in density-stratified fluids,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 289, pp. 115–128, 1995.
- E. N. Lorenz, “Available potential energy and the maintenance of the general circulation,” Tellus, vol. 7, pp. 157–167, 1955.
- O. Pauluis, “Sources and sinks of available potential energy in a moist atmosphere,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 2627–2641, 2007.
- F. Paparella and W. R. Young, “Horizontal convection is non-turbulent,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 466, pp. 205–214, 2002.
- W. Wang and R. X. Huang, “An experimental study on thermal circulation driven by horizontal differential heating,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 540, pp. 49–73, 2005.
- M. E. McIntyre, “On spontaneous imbalance and ocean turbulence: generalisations of the Paparella-Young epsilon theorem,” in Proceedings of the International IUTAM/Newton Institution Workshop, D. G. Dritschel, Ed., Turbulence of the Atmosphere and Oceans, Springer, 2010.
- S. R. de Groot and P. Mazur, Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, North Holland, 1962.
- T. J. McDougall, “Potential enthalpy: a conservative oceanic variable for evaluating heat content and heat fluxes,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 945–963, 2003.
- R. Tailleux, “Identifying and quantifying nonconservative energy production/destruction terms in hydrostatic Boussinesq primitive equation models,” Ocean Modelling, vol. 34, no. 3-4, pp. 125–136, 2010.