- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 136740, 9 pages
Friction Performance Optimization of Chemically Deposited Ni-P-W Coating Using Taguchi Method
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 700032, India
Received 17 April 2012; Accepted 17 June 2012
Academic Editors: B. A. Akash, G. Nikas, and H. Zhu
Copyright © 2013 Supriyo Roy and Prasanta Sahoo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Brenner and G. E. Riddell, “Nickel coating on steel by chemical reduction,” Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 31–34, 1946.
- A. Brenner and G. E. Riddell, “Nickel plating on steel by chemical reduction,” Proceedings of the American Electroplater's Society, vol. 33, p. 16, 1946.
- G. O. Mallory and J. B. Hadju, Electroless Plating: Fundamentals and Applications, AESF, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1991.
- P. Sahoo and S. K. Das, “Tribology of electroless nickel coatings - A review,” Materials and Design, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 1760–1775, 2011.
- R. Parkinson, “Properties and applications of electroless nickel deposits,” Technical Series No. 10081, Nickel Development Institute, 1997.
- R. C. Agarwala and V. Agarwala, “Electroless alloy/composite coatings: A review,” Sadhana - Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 475–493, 2003.
- O. Berkh, S. Eskin, and J. Zahavi, “Properties of electrodeposited NiP-SiC composite coatings,” Metal Finishing, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 35–40, 1996.
- D. Barker, “Electroless deposition of metals,” Transactions of the Institute of Metal Finishing, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 121–124, 1993.
- D. Baudrand and J. Bengston, “Electroless plating processes. Developing technologies for electroless nickel, palladium, and gold,” Metal Finishing, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 55–57, 1995.
- E. Vafaei-Makhsoos, E. L. Thomas, and L. E. Toth, “Electron microscopy of crystalline and amorphous Ni-P electrodeposited films: In-situ crystallization of an amorphous solid,” Metallurgical Transactions A, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1449–1460, 1978.
- Y. Mori and S. Ohtsuka, Japanese Patent 50, 039, 638, 1975.
- I. Apachitei, J. Duszczyk, L. Katgerman, and P. J. B. Overkamp, “Electroless Ni-P composite coatings: The effect of heat treatment on the microhardness of substrate and coating,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1347–1353, 1998.
- Y. S. Huang, X. T. Zeng, I. Annergren, and F. M. Liu, “Development of electroless NiP-PTFE-SiC composite coating,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 167, no. 2-3, pp. 207–211, 2003.
- G. Straffelini, D. Colombo, and A. Molinari, “Surface durability of electroless Ni-P composite deposits,” Wear, vol. 236, no. 1-2, pp. 179–188, 1999.
- Q. Zhao, Y. Liu, H. Müller-Steinhagen, and G. Liu, “Graded Ni-P-PTFE coatings and their potential applications,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 155, no. 2-3, pp. 279–284, 2002.
- Y. Wu, H. Liu, B. Shen, L. Liu, and W. Hu, “The friction and wear of electroless Ni-P matrix with PTFE and/or SiC particles composite,” Tribology International, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 553–559, 2006.
- A. Abdel Aal and M. Shehata Aly, “Electroless Ni-Cu-P plating onto open cell stainless steel foam,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 255, no. 13-14, pp. 6652–6655, 2009.
- W. Chen, W. Gao, and Y. He, “A novel electroless plating of Ni-P-TiO2 nano-composite coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 204, no. 15, pp. 2493–2498, 2010.
- Y. J. Hu, T. X. Wang, J. L. Meng, and Q. Y. Rao, “Structure and phase transformation behaviour of electroless Ni-W-P on aluminium alloy,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 201, no. 3-4, pp. 988–992, 2006.
- F. B. Wu, S. K. Tien, J. G. Duh, and J. H. Wang, “Surface characteristics of electroless and sputtered Ni- P-W alloy coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 60–66, 2003.
- J. N. Balaraju and K. S. Rajam, “Electroless deposition of Ni-Cu-P, Ni-W-P and Ni-W-Cu-P alloys,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 195, no. 2-3, pp. 154–161, 2005.
- S. K. Tien, J. G. Duh, and Y. I. Chen, “Structure, thermal stability and mechanical properties of electroless Ni-P-W alloy coatings during cycle test,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 177-178, pp. 532–536, 2004.
- J. N. Balaraju, C. Anandan, and K. S. Rajam, “Influence of codeposition of copper on the structure and morphology of electroless Ni-W-P alloys from sulphate- and chloride-based baths,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 200, no. 12-13, pp. 3675–3681, 2006.
- F. Pearlstein, R. F. Weightman, and R. Wick, Metal Finishing, vol. 61, pp. 77–81, 1963.
- M. Palaniappa and S. K. Seshadri, “Friction and wear behavior of electroless Ni-P and Ni-W-P alloy coatings,” Wear, vol. 265, no. 5-6, pp. 735–740, 2008.
- R. K. Roy, A Primer on the Taguchi Method, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Dearborn, Mich, USA, 1990.
- P. Sahoo, “Wear behaviour of electroless Ni-P coatings and optimization of process parameters using Taguchi method,” Materials and Design, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1341–1349, 2009.
- Minitab User Manual Release 13.2, Making Data Analysis Easier, MINITAB: State College, 2001.