- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 379081, 7 pages
Immunohistochemical Evaluation of Cell Cycle Regulators: Impact on Predicting Prognosis in Stage T1 Urinary Bladder Cancer
1Molecular and Immunological Pathology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linköping University, Department of Clinical Pathology and Clinical Genetics, County Council of Östergötland, 581 85 Linköping, Sweden
2Regional Cancer Centre, County Council of Östergötland, Linköping, Sweden
3Division of Urology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linköping University, Department of Urology, County Council of Östergötland, Linköping, Sweden
Received 3 September 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editors: J. I. Izawa, T. Nelius, and V. Serretta
Copyright © 2012 Hans Olsson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. A. L. M. Kiemeney, J. A. Witjes, R. P. Heijbroek, A. L. M. Verbeek, and F. M. J. Debruyne, “Predictability of recurrent and progressive disease in individual patients with primary superficial bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 60–64, 1993.
- P. Allard, P. Bernard, Y. Fradet, and B. Têtu, “The early clinical course of primary Ta and T1 bladder cancer: a proposed prognostic index,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 692–698, 1998.
- F. Millan-Rodriguez, G. Chechile-Toniolo, J. Salvador-Bayarri, J. Palou, and J. Vicente-Rodriguez, “Multivariate analysis of the prognostic factors of primary superficial bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2000.
- D. K. Chopin, Z. Popov, V. Ravery et al., “Prognostic factors in superficial bladder cancer,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 148–152, 1993.
- M. K. B. Parmar, L. S. Freedman, T. B. Hargreave, and D. A. Tolley, “Prognostic factors for recurrence and follow-up policies in the treatment of superficial bladder cancer: report from the British Medical Research Council subgroup on superficial bladder cancer (urological cancer working party),” Journal of Urology, vol. 142, no. 2, Part 1, pp. 284–288, 1989.
- K. H. Kurth, L. Denis, C. Bouffioux et al., “Factors affecting recurrence and progression in superficial bladder tumours,” European Journal of Cancer A, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1840–1846, 1995.
- K. S. Cho, H. K. Seo, J. Y. Joung et al., “Lymphovascular invasion in transurethral resection specimens as predictor of progression and metastasis in patients with newly diagnosed T1 bladder urothelial cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 2625–2631, 2009.
- B. W. van Rhijn, L. Liu, A. N. Vis, P. J. Bostrom, et al., “Prognostic value of molecular markers, sub-stage and European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer risk scores in primary T1 bladder cancer,” BJU International, vol. 110, no. 8, pp. 1169–1176, 2012.
- K. Matsushita, E. K. Cha, K. Matsumoto, et al., “Immunohistochemical biomarkers for bladder cancer prognosis,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 616–629, 2011.
- R. Rosenblatt, S. Jonmarker, R. Lewensohn et al., “Current status of prognostic immunohistochemical markers for urothelial bladder cancer,” Tumor Biology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 311–322, 2008.
- S. F. Shariat, C. Bolenz, G. Godoy et al., “Predictive value of combined immunohistochemical markers in patients with pT1 urothelial carcinoma at radical cystectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 2009.
- A. W. Hitchings, M. Kumar, S. Jordan, V. Nargund, J. Martin, and D. M. Berney, “Prediction of progression in pTa and pTl bladder carcinomas with p53, p16 and pRb,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 552–557, 2004.
- R. J. Cote, M. D. Dunn, S. J. Chatterjee et al., “Elevated and absent pRb expression is associated with bladder cancer progression and has cooperative effects with p53,” Cancer Research, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1090–1094, 1998.
- H. Olsson, P. Hultman, J. Rosell, and S. Jahnson, “A population-based study on prognostic factors for recurrence and progression in primary stage T1 bladder tumours,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. In press.
- H. Olsson, I.-M. Fyhr, P. Hultman, and S. Jahnson, “HER2 status in primary stage T1 urothelial cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 102–107, 2012.
- S. Gudjonsson, P. O. Bendahl, G. Chebil, et al., “Can tissue microarray-based analysis of protein expression predict recurrence of stage Ta bladder cancer?” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 270–277, 2011.
- D. I. Kim, S. J. Lee, S. B. Lee, K. Park, W. J. Kim, and S. K. Moon, “Requirement for Ras/Raf/ERK pathway in naringin-induced G1 -cell-cycle arrest via p21WAF1 expression,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1701–1709, 2008.
- K. Gohji, H. Hirano, M. Okamoto, et al., “Expression of three extracellular matrix degradative enzymes in bladder cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 295–301, 2001.
- R. Fridman, M. Toth, I. Chvyrkova, S. O. Meroueh, and S. Mobashery, “Cell surface association of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (gelatinase B),” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 22, no. 2-3, pp. 153–166, 2003.
- K. Lee, E. S. Jung, Y. J. Choi, K. Y. Lee, and A. Lee, “Expression of pRb, p53, p16 and cyclin D1 and their clinical implications in urothelial carcinoma,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1449–1455, 2010.
- H. B. Grossman, M. Liebert, M. Antelo et al., “p53 and RB expression predict progression in T1 bladder cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 829–834, 1998.
- W. F. Benedict, S. P. Lerner, J. Zhou, X. Shen, H. Tokunaga, and B. Czerniak, “Level of retinoblastoma protein expression correlates with p16 (MTS-1/INK4A/CDKN2) status in bladder cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1197–1203, 1999.
- S. F. Shariat, H. Tokunaga, J. Zhou et al., “p53, p21, pRB, and p16 expression predict clinical outcome in cystectomy with bladder cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1014–1024, 2004.
- K. Vasala, P. Paakko, and T. Turpeenniemi-Hujanen, “Matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) immunoreactive protein in urinary bladder cancer: a marker of favorable prognosis,” Anticancer Research B, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1757–1762, 2008.
- C. Bolenz and Y. Lotan, “Translational research in bladder cancer: from molecular pathogenesis to useful tissue biomarkers,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 407–415, 2010.
- M. Peyromaure, S. Weibing, P. Sebe et al., “Prognostic value of p53 overexpression in T1G3 bladder tumors treated with bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 409–413, 2002.
- D. Kandioler, R. Zwrtek, C. Ludwig et al., “TP53 genotype but not p53 immunohistochemical result predicts response to preoperative short-term radiotherapy in rectal cancer,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 235, no. 4, pp. 493–498, 2002.
- J. P. Gao, T. Uchida, C. Wang et al., “Relationship between p53 gene mutation and protein expression: clinical significance in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder.,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 469–475, 2000.
- V. M. Tut, K. L. Braithwaite, B. Angus, D. E. Neal, J. Lunec, and J. K. Mellon, “Cyclin D1 expression in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: correlation with p53, waf1, pRb and Ki67,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 270–275, 2001.
- O. Demirhan, D. Taştemir, S. Hastürk, S. Kuleci, and I. Hanta, “Alterations in p16 and p53 genes and chromosomal findings in patients with lung cancer: fluorescence in situ hybridization and cytogenetic studies,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 472–477, 2010.
- S. Krüger, A. Mahnken, I. Kausch, and A. C. Feller, “P16 immunoreactivity is an independent predictor of tumor progression in minimally invasive urothelial bladder carcinoma,” European Urology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 463–467, 2005.
- S. Jahnson and M. G. Karlsson, “Tumor mapping of regional immunostaining for p21, p53, and mdm2 in locally advanced bladder carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 619–629, 2000.