- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 581539, 9 pages
Matrix Metalloproteinases and Bladder Cancer: What is New?
1Department of Urology, Universitat Autonòma de Barcelona, Barcelona, 08025 Fundació Puigvert, Spain
2Department of Urology, Universidad de Oviedo, 33003 Oviedo, Spain
3Department of Pathology, Universitat Autonòma de Barcelona, Barcelona, 08025 Fundació Puigvert, Spain
4Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital de Jove, 33290 Gijón, Spain
Received 15 May 2012; Accepted 3 June 2012
Academic Editors: J. I. Izawa and J. H. Ku
Copyright © 2012 O. Rodriguez Faba et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Parkin, F. Bray, J. Ferlay, and P. Pisani, “Global cancer statistics, 2002,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 74–108, 2005.
- C. M. Samanic, M. Kogevinas, D. T. Silverman et al., “Occupation and bladder cancer in a hospital-based case-control study in Spain,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 347–353, 2008.
- X. R. Wu, “Urothelial tumorigenesis: a tale of divergent pathways,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 713–725, 2005.
- K. Gohji, N. Fujimoto, T. Komiyama et al., “Elevation of serum levels of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -3 as new predictors of recurrence in patients with urothelial carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 2379–2387, 1996.
- G. D. Steinberg, D. L. Trump, and K. B. Cummings, “Metastatic bladder cancer: natural history, clinical course, and consideration for treatment,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 735–746, 1992.
- N. Buyru, H. Tigli, F. Ozcan, and N. Dalay, “Ras oncogene mutations in urine sediments of patients with bladder cancer,” Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 399–402, 2003.
- Z. Feng, W. Hu, W. N. Rom, F. A. Beland, and M. S. Tang, “4-Aminobiphenyl is a major etiological agent of human bladder cancer: evidence from its DNA binding spectrum in human p53 gene,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1721–1727, 2002.
- A. Hartmann, G. Schlake, D. Zaak et al., “Occurrence of chromosome 9 and p53 alterations in multifocal dysplasia and carcinoma in situ of human urinary bladder,” Cancer Research, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 809–818, 2002.
- C. M. Overall and C. López-Otín, “Strategies for MMP inhibition in cancer: innovations for the post-trial era,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 657–672, 2002.
- K. Vasala, P. Kuvaja, and T. Turpeenniemi-Hujanen, “Low circulating levels of ProMMP-2 are associated with adverse prognosis in bladder cancer,” Tumor Biology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 279–286, 2008.
- W. Bode, “Structural basis of matrix metalloproteinase function,” Biochemical Society Symposium, no. 70, pp. 1–14, 2003.
- W. Bode, C. Fernandez-Catalan, H. Tschesche, F. Grams, H. Nagase, and K. Maskos, “Structural properties of matrix metalloproteinases,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 639–652, 1999.
- V. Knäuper and G. Murphy, “Methods for studying activation of matrix metalloproteinases,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 622, pp. 233–243, 2010.
- H. Nagase, J. J. Enghild, K. Suzuki, and G. Salvesen, “Stepwise activation mechanisms of the precursor of the matrix metalloproteinase 3 (stromelysin) by proteinases and (4-aminophenyl)mercuric acetate,” Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 24, pp. 5783–5789, 1990.
- E. Hadler-Olsen, B. Fadnes, I. Sylte, L. Uhlin-Hansen, and J. O. Winberg, “Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase activity in health and disease,” FEBS Journal, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. 28–45, 2011.
- D. K. Strickland, J. D. Ashcom, S. Williams, W. H. Burgess, M. Migliorini, and W. S. Argraves, “Sequence identity between the α2-macroglobulin receptor and low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein suggests that this molecule is a multifunctional receptor,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 265, no. 29, pp. 17401–17404, 1990.
- F. X. Gomis-Rüth, K. Maskos, M. Betz et al., “Mechanism of inhibition of the human matrix metalloproteinase stromelysin-1 by TIMP-1,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6646, pp. 77–81, 1997.
- C. Fernandez-Catalan, W. Bode, R. Huber et al., “Crystal structure of the complex formed by the membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase with the tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2, the soluble progelatinase A receptor,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 17, no. 17, pp. 5238–5248, 1998.
- S. Zucker, D. Pei, J. Cao, and C. Lopez-Otin, “Membrane type-matrix metalloproteinases (MT-MMP),” Current Topics in Developmental Biology, vol. 54, pp. 1–74, 2003.
- C. M. Overall and O. Kleifeld, “Towards third generation matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors for cancer therapy,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 941–946, 2006.
- A. Krüger, M. J. Arlt, M. Gerg et al., “Antimetastatic activity of a novel mechanism-based gelatinase inhibitor,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 3523–3526, 2005.
- R. Morales, S. Perrier, J. M. Florent et al., “Crystal structures of novel non-peptidic, non-zinc chelating inhibitors bound to MMP-12,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 341, no. 4, pp. 1063–1076, 2004.
- M. D. Sternlicht and Z. Werb, “How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 17, pp. 463–516, 2001.
- B. Lovejoy, A. R. Welch, S. Carr et al., “Crystal structures of MMP-1 and -13 reveal the structural basis for selectivity of collagenase inhibitors,” Nature Structural Biology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 217–221, 1999.
- A. H. Baker, D. R. Edwards, and G. Murphy, “Metalloproteinase inhibitors: biological actions and therapeutic opportunities,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 115, part 19, pp. 3719–3727, 2002.
- P. Velasco and B. Lange-Asschenfeldt, “Dermatological aspects of angiogenesis,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 147, no. 5, pp. 841–852, 2002.
- R. Heljasvaara, P. Nyberg, J. Luostarinen et al., “Generation of biologically active endostatin fragments from human collagen XVIII by distinct matrix metalloproteases,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 307, no. 2, pp. 292–304, 2005.
- F. Mannello, F. Luchetti, E. Falcieri, and S. Papa, “Multiple roles of matrix metalloproteinases during apoptosis,” Apoptosis, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2005.
- M. Egeblad and Z. Werb, “New functions for the matrix metalloproteinases in cancer progression,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 161–174, 2002.
- C. C. Lynch and L. M. Matrisian, “Matrix metalloproteinases in tumor-host cell communication,” Differentiation, vol. 70, no. 9-10, pp. 561–573, 2002.
- C. E. Brinckerhoff and L. M. Matrisian, “Matrix metalloproteinases: a tail of a frog that became a prince,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 207–214, 2002.
- S. Strand, P. Vollmer, L. van den Abeelen et al., “Cleavage of CD95 by matrix metalloproteinase-7 induces apoptosis resistance in tumour cells,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 20, pp. 3732–3736, 2004.
- N. Mitsiades, W. H. Yu, V. Poulaki, M. Tsokos, and I. Stamenkovic, “Matrix metalloproteinase-7-mediated cleavage of Fas ligand protects tumor cells from chemotherapeutic drug cytotoxicity,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 577–581, 2001.
- W. H. Yu, F. Woessner Jr., J. D. McNeish, and I. Stamenkovic, “CD44 anchors the assembly of matrilysin/MMP-7 with heparin-binding epidermal growth factor precursor and ErbB4 and regulates female reproductive organ remodeling,” Genes and Development, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 307–323, 2002.
- A. Boulay, R. Masson, M. P. Chenard et al., “High cancer cell death in syngeneic tumors developed in host mice deficient for the stromelysin-3 matrix metalloproteinase,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 2189–2193, 2001.
- R. Baserga, “The contradictions of the insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor,” Oncogene, vol. 19, no. 49, pp. 5574–5581, 2000.
- A. Ishizuya-Oka, Q. Li, T. Amano, S. Damjanovski, S. Ueda, and Y. B. Shi, “Requirement for matrix metalloproteinase stromelysin-3 in cell migration and apoptosis during tissue remodeling in Xenopus laevis,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 150, no. 5, pp. 1177–1188, 2000.
- C. J. Sympson, R. S. Talhouk, C. M. Alexander et al., “Targeted expression of stromelysin-1 in mammary gland provides evidence for a role of proteinases in branching morphogenesis and the requirement for an intact basement membrane for tissue-specific gene expression,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 681–693, 1994.
- J. P. Witty, T. Lempka, R. J. Coffey Jr., and L. M. Matrisian, “Decreased tumor formation in 7,12-dimethylbenzanthracene-treated stromelysin-1 transgenic mice is associated with alterations in mammary epithelial cell apoptosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 1401–1406, 1995.
- T. H. Vu, J. M. Shipley, G. Bergers et al., “MMP-9/gelatinase B is a key regulator of growth plate angiogenesis and apoptosis of hypetrophic chondrocytes,” Cell, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 411–422, 1998.
- P. Fernández-Resa, E. Mira, and A. R. Quesada, “Enhanced detection of casein zymography of matrix metalloproteinases,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 224, no. 1, pp. 434–435, 1995.
- J. F. Woessner Jr., “Quantification of matrix metalloproteinases in tissue samples,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 248, pp. 510–528, 1995.
- B. Fingleton, T. Vargo-Gogola, H. C. Crawford, and L. M. Matrisian, “Matrilysin [MMP-7] expression selects for cells with reduced sensitivity to apoptosis,” Neoplasia, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 459–468, 2001.
- W. G. Stetler-Stevenson, “Matrix metalloproteinases in angiogenesis: a moving target for therapeutic intervention,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 1237–1241, 1999.
- M. Ferreras, U. Felbor, T. Lenhard, B. R. Olsen, and J. M. Delaisse, “Generation and degradation of human endostatin proteins by various proteinases,” FEBS Letters, vol. 486, no. 3, pp. 247–251, 2000.
- C. F. Sier, G. Casetta, J. H. Verheijen et al., “Enhanced urinary gelatinase activities (matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9) are associated with early-stage bladder carcinoma: a comparison with clinically used tumor markers,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2333–2340, 2000.
- S. Gerhards, K. Jung, F. Koenig et al., “Excretion of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in urine is associated with a high stage and grade of bladder carcinoma,” Urology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 675–679, 2001.
- J. E. Nutt, J. K. Mellon, K. Qureshi, and J. Lunec, “Matrix metalloproteinase-1 is induced by epidermal growth factor in human bladder tumour cell lines and is detectable in urine of patients with bladder tumours,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 215–220, 1998.
- R. S. Svatek, J. B. Shah, J. Xing et al., “A multiplexed, particle-based flow cytometric assay identified plasma matrix metalloproteinase-7 to be associated with cancer-related death among patients with bladder cancer,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 19, pp. 4513–4519, 2010.
- T. Szarvas, M. Becker, F. vom Dorp et al., “Matrix metalloproteinase-7 as a marker of metastasis and predictor of poor survival in bladder cancer,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 1300–1308, 2010.
- H. Kanayama, K. Yokota, Y. Kurokawa, Y. Murakami, M. Nishitani, and S. Kagawa, “Prognostic values of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 expression in bladder cancer,” Cancer, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 1359–1366, 1998.
- O. Rodríguez Faba, J. M. Fernández Gómez, J. Palou Redorta, S. Escaf Barmadah, F. J. Vizoso, and H. Villavicencio, “Significance of collagenase 3 (matrix metalloproteinase 13) in invasive bladder cancer: correlation with pathological parameters,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 140–144, 2007.
- S. Naruo, H. Kanayama, H. Takigawa, S. Kagawa, K. Yamashita, and T. Hayakawa, “Serum levels of a tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 (TIMP-1) in bladder cancer patients,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 228–231, 1994.
- K. Vasala and T. Turpeenniemi-Hujanen, “Serum tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) and matrix metalloproteinase-2 in complex with the inhibitor (MMP-2:TIMP-2) as prognostic markers in bladder cancer,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 9-10, pp. 640–644, 2007.
- B. Davies, J. Waxman, H. Wasan et al., “Levels of matrix metalloproteases in bladder cancer correlate with tumor grade and invasion,” Cancer Research, vol. 53, no. 22, pp. 5365–5369, 1993.
- D. J. Grignon, W. Sakr, M. Toth et al., “High levels of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) expression are associated with poor outcome in invasive bladder cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1654–1659, 1996.
- A. S. Papathoma, C. Petraki, A. Grigorakis et al., “Prognostic significance of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in bladder cancer,” Anticancer Research B, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 2009–2013, 2000.
- E. Ozdemir, Y. Kakehi, H. Okuno, T. Habuchi, Y. Okada, and O. Yoshida, “Strong correlation of basement membrane degradation with P53 inactivation and/or MDM2 overexpression in superficial urothelial carcinomas,” Journal of Urology, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 206–211, 1997.
- Y. Kitagawa, K. Kunimi, H. Ito et al., “Expression and tissue localization of membrane-types 1, 2, and 3 matrix metalloproteinases in human urothelial carcinomas,” Journal of Urology, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 1540–1545, 1998.
- M. A. Mohammad, N. R. Ismael, S. M. Shaarawy, and M. M. El-Merzabani, “Prognostic value of membrane type 1 and 2 matrix metalloproteinase expression and gelatinase a activity in bladder cancer,” International Journal of Biological Markers, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 69–74, 2010.
- I. Hara, H. Miyake, S. Hara, S. Arakawa, and S. Kamidono, “Significance of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase expression in the recurrence of superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder,” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 5, pp. 1769–1772, 2001.
- K. Gohji, N. Fujimoto, J. Ohkawa, A. Fujii, and M. Nakajima, “Imbalance between serum matrix metalloproteinase-2 and its inhibitor as a predictor of recurrence of urothelial cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 650–655, 1998.
- K. Gohji, N. Fujimoto, I. Hara, A. Fujii, A. Gotoh, H. Okada, et al., “Serum matrix metalloproteinase-2 and its density in men with prostate cancer as a new predictor of disease extension,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 96–101, 1998.
- K. Gohji, N. Fujimoto, A. Fujii, T. Komiyama, J. Okawa, and M. Nakajima, “Prognostic significance of circulating matrix metalloproteinase-2 to tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 ratio in recurrence of urothelial cancer after complete resection,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 14, pp. 3196–3198, 1996.
- J. C. Angulo, A. Ferruelo, J. M. Rodriguez-Barbero, C. Nunez, F. R. de Fata, and J. Gonzalez, “Detection and molecular staging of bladder cancer using real-time RT-PCR for gelatinases (MMP-2, MMP-9) and TIMP-2 in peripheral blood,” Actas Urologicas Espanolas, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 127–136, 2011.
- T. Szarvas, T. Jager, M. Becker et al., “Validation of circulating MMP-7 level as an independent prognostic marker of poor survival in urinary bladder cancer,” Pathology and Oncology Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 325–332, 2011.
- A. I. Tasci, V. Tugcu, E. Ozbek, B. Ozbay, A. Simsek, and V. Koksal, “A single-nucleotide polymorphism in the matrix metalloproteinase-1 promoter enhances bladder cancer susceptibility,” BJU International, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 503–507, 2008.
- B. V. Offersen, M. M. Knap, M. R. Horsman, J. Verheijen, R. Hanemaaijer, and J. Overgaard, “Matrix metalloproteinase-9 measured in urine from bladder cancer patients is an independent prognostic marker of poor survival,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1283–1287, 2010.
- T. Szarvas, B. B. Singer, M. Becker et al., “Urinary matrix metalloproteinase-7 level is associated with the presence of metastasis in bladder cancer,” BJU International, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 1069–1073, 2011.
- M. O. Hoque, S. Begum, M. Brait et al., “Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-3 promoter methylation is an independent prognostic factor for bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 743–747, 2008.
- S. Eissa, R. Ali-Labib, M. Swellam, M. Bassiony, F. Tash, and T. M. El-Zayat, “Noninvasive diagnosis of bladder cancer by detection of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP-2 and MMP-9) and their inhibitor (TIMP-2) in urine,” European Urology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1388–1397, 2007.
- M. N. Holten-Andersen, N. Brunner, H. J. Nielsen et al., “Levels of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 1 in plasma and urine from patients with bladder cancer,” International Journal of Biological Markers, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 2006.
- A. Di Carlo, D. Terracciano, A. Mariano, and V. Macchia, “Urinary gelatinase activities (matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9) in human bladder tumors,” Oncology Reports, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1321–1326, 2006.