- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 984951, 5 pages
Evaluating PSA Density as a Predictor of Biochemical Failure after Radical Prostatectomy: Results of a Prospective Study after a Median Follow-Up of 36 Months
Urology Department, Patras University Hospital, Building A, 4th Floor, Rion, 26500 Patras, Greece
Received 18 April 2013; Accepted 4 May 2013
Academic Editors: C. D. Lallas and D. Minardi
Copyright © 2013 Stavros Sfoungaristos and Petros Perimenis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Bensalah, Y. Lotan, J. A. Karam, and S. F. Shariat, “New circulating biomarkers for prostate cancer,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 112–120, 2008.
- T. A. Stamey, I. M. Johnstone, J. E. McNeal, A. Y. Lu, and C. M. Yemoto, “Preoperative serum prostate specific antigen levels between 2 and 22 ng./ml. correlate poorly with post-radical prostatectomy cancer morphology: prostate specific antigen cure rates appear constant between 2 and 9 ng./ml.,” Journal of Urology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 103–111, 2002.
- M. W. Kattan, J. A. Eastham, A. M. F. Stapleton, T. M. Wheeler, and P. T. Scardino, “A preoperative nomogram for disease recurrence following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 766–771, 1998.
- D. V. Makarov, B. J. Trock, E. B. Humphreys et al., “Updated nomogram to predict pathologic stage of prostate cancer given prostate-specific antigen level, clinical stage, and biopsy gleason score (partin tables) based on cases from 2000 to 2005,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1095–1101, 2007.
- A. Paul, G. Ploussard, N. Nicolaiew et al., “Oncologic outcome after extraperitoneal laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: midterm follow-up of 1115 procedures,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 267–273, 2010.
- S. S. Connolly, P. J. Cathcart, P. Gilmore et al., “Robotic radical prostatectomy as the initial step in multimodal therapy for men with high-risk localised prostate cancer: initial experience of 160 men,” The British Journal of Urology International, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 752–759, 2012.
- M. C. Benson, I. S. Whang, A. Pantuck et al., “Prostate specific antigen density: a means of distinguishing benign prostatic hypertrophy and prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 815–816, 1992.
- P. C. Walsh and P. J. Donker, “Impotence following radical prostatectomy: insight into etiology and prevention,” Journal of Urology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 492–497, 1982.
- J. M. Wolff, W. Boeckmann, P. Mattelaer, S. Handt, G. Adam, and G. Jakse, “Determination of prostate gland volume by transrectal ultrasound: correlation with radical prostatectomy specimens,” European Urology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 10–12, 1995.
- M. H. Radwan, Y. Yan, J. R. Luly et al., “Prostate-specific antigen density predicts adverse pathology and increased risk of biochemical failure,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1121–1127, 2007.
- S. Sfoungaristos and P. Perimenis, “PSA density versus risk stratification for lymphadenectomy-making decision in patients with prostate cancer undergoing radical prostatectomy,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1073–1079, 2011.
- S. J. Freedland, J. A. Wieder, G. S. Jack, F. Dorey, J. B. Dekernion, and W. J. Aronson, “Improved risk stratification for biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy using a novel risk group system based on prostate specific antigen density and biopsy Gleason score,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 110–115, 2002.
- S. J. Freedland, C. J. Kane, J. C. Presti Jr. et al., “Comparison of preoperative prostate specific antigen density and prostate specific antigen for predicting recurrence after radical prostatectomy: results from the search data base,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 969–973, 2003.
- T. D. Jones, M. O. Koch, P. J. Bunde, and L. Cheng, “Is prostate-specific antigen (PSA) density better than the preoperative PSA level in predicting early biochemical recurrence of prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy?” The British Journal of Urology International, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 480–484, 2006.
- S. D. Kundu, K. A. Roehl, X. Yu, J. A. V. Antenor, B. K. Suarez, and W. J. Catalona, “Prostate specific antigen density correlates with features of prostate cancer aggressiveness,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 505–509, 2007.
- S. A. Brassell, T. C. Kao, L. Sun, and J. W. Moul, “Prostate-specific antigen versus prostate-specific antigen density as predictor of tumor volume, margin status, pathologic stage, and biochemical recurrence of prostate cancer,” Urology, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 1229–1233, 2005.
- A. Magheli, S. Rais-Bahrami, B. J. Trock et al., “Prostate specific antigen versus prostate specific antigen density as a prognosticator of pathological characteristics and biochemical recurrence following radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 5, pp. 1780–1784, 2008.