- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 183412, 6 pages
Single Layer Centrifugation Can Be Scaled-Up Further to Process up to 150 mL Semen
1Division of Reproduction, Department of Clinical Sciences, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), P.O. Box 7054, 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
2Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, 3584 CL Utrecht, The Netherlands
3Quality Genetics, 24292 Hörby, Sweden
Received 6 October 2011; Accepted 20 November 2011
Academic Editor: K.-P. Brüssow
Copyright © 2011 J. M. Morrell et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Morrell and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Practical applications of sperm selection techniques as a tool for improving reproductive efficiency,” Veterinary Medicine International, vol. 2011, Article ID 894767, 9 pages, 2011.
- A-S. Bergqvist, A. Johannisson, L. Bäckgren, A. -M. Dalin, H. Rodriguez-Martinez, and J. M. Morrell, “Single Layer Centrifugation of Stallion Spermatozoa through Androcoll™-E does not Adversely Affect their Capacitation-Like Status, as Measured by CTC Staining,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. e74–e78, 2011.
- R. Kruse, P. C. Dutta, and J. M. Morrell, “Colloid centrifugation removes seminal plasma and cholesterol from boar spermatozoa,” Reproduction, Fertility and Development, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 858–865, 2011.
- J. M. Morrell, A. Johannisson, A. M. Dalin, L. Hammar, T. Sandebert, and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Sperm morphology and chromatin integrity in Swedish warmblood stallions and their relationship to pregnancy rates,” Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, vol. 50, no. 1, article no. 2, 2008.
- J. M. Morrell, A.-M. Dalin, and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Prolongation of stallion sperm survival by centrifugation through coated silica colloids: a preliminary study,” Animal Reproduction, vol. 5, pp. 121–126, 2008.
- J. M. Morrell, F. Saravia, M. van Wienen, M. Wallgren, and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Selection of boar spermatozoa using centrifugation on a glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane-coated silica colloid,” Journal of Reproduction and Development, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 547–552, 2009.
- M. Thys, L. Vandaele, J. Morrell et al., “In vitro fertilizing capacity of frozen-thawed bull spermatozoa selected by single-layer (Glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane) silane-coated silica colloidal centrifugation,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 390–394, 2009.
- J. M. Morrell, H. Rodriguez-Martinez, and C. Linde Forsberg, “Single layer centrifugation on a colloid selects motile and morphologically normal spermatozoa from dog semen: preliminary results,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 43, p. 61, abstract P29, 2008.
- K. Chatdarong, P. Thuwanut, and J. M. Morrell, “Single-layer centrifugation through colloid selects improved quality of epididymal cat sperm,” Theriogenology, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1284–1292, 2010.
- J. M. Morrell, “Update on semen technologies for animal breeding,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 2006.
- J. M. Morrell, A. Johannisson, A. M. Dalin, and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Single-layer centrifugation with Androcoll-E can be scaled up to allow large volumes of stallion ejaculate to be processed easily,” Theriogenology, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 879–884, 2009.
- J. M. Morrell and M. Wallgren, “Androcoll™-P-Large selects boar spermatozoa with good membrane integrity from the sperm-rich fraction of the ejaculate,” Animal Reproduction, vol. 7, pp. 16–20, 2010.
- M. van Wienen, A. Johannisson, M. Wallgren, J. Parlevliet, and J. M. Morrell, “Single Layer Centrifugation with Androcoll™-P can be scaled-up to process larger volumes of boar semen,” ISRN Veterinary Science, vol. 2011, Article ID 548385, 8 pages, 2011.
- A. J. Edmond, S. R. Teague, S. P. Brinsko, et al., “Effect of density gradient centrifugation on quality and recovery rate of equine spermatozoa,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 107, p. 318, 2009.
- J. M. Morrell, H. Rodriguez-Martinez, and A. Johannisson, “Single layer centrifugation of stallion spermatozoa consistently selects the most robust spermatozoa from the rest of the ejaculate in a large sample size,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 579–585, 2010.
- J. Morrell, A. Johannisson, A. M. Dalin, and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Morphology and chromatin integrity of stallion spermatozoa prepared by density gradient and single layer centrifugation through silica colloids,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 512–517, 2009.
- A. Johannisson, J. M. Morrell, J. Thorén, M. Jönsson, A. M. Dalin, and H. Rodriguez-Martinez, “Colloidal centrifugation with Androcoll-E™ prolongs stallion sperm motility, viability and chromatin integrity,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 116, no. 1-2, pp. 119–128, 2009.
- A. Simonsson, Nutritional Recommendations and Feedstuffs for Swine, vol. 71, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden, 1994.
- V. G. Pursel and L. A. Johnson, “Freezing of boar spermatozoa: fertilizing capacity with concentrated semen and a new thawing procedure,” Journal of animal science, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 99–102, 1975.
- C. Hansen, T. Vermeiden, J. P. W. Vermeiden, C. Simmet, B. C. Day, and H. Feitsma, “Comparison of FACSCount AF system, Improved Neubauer hemocytometer, Corning 254 photometer, SpermVision, UltiMate and NucleoCounter SP-100 for determination of sperm concentration of boar semen,” Theriogenology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 2188–2194, 2006.
- J. M. Morrell and M. Wallgren, “Removal of bacteria from boar ejaculates by Single Layer Centrifugation can reduce the use of antibiotics in semen extenders,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 123, no. 1-2, pp. 64–69, 2011.