- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 281018, 14 pages
The Story of Equine Atypical Myopathy: A Review from the Beginning to a Possible End
Equine Clinic, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, Boulevard de Colonster 20 B41, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Received 16 August 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editors: Z. Grabarevic and K. E. Panter
Copyright © 2012 Dominique-Marie Votion. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Anonymous, “Atypical myoglobinuria: a new disease in horses?” Veterinary Record, vol. 116, pp. 86–87, 1985.
- G. van Galen, C. Marcillaud Pitel, C. Saegerman et al., “European outbreaks of atypical myopathy in grazing equids (2006–2009): spatiotemporal distribution, history and clinical features,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 614–620, 2012.
- D. M. Votion, A. Linden, C. Saegerman et al., “History and clinical features of atypical myopathy in horses in Belgium (2000–2005),” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1380–1391, 2007.
- J. N. Bowen and J. F. Craig, “Myoglobinuria in horses,” Veterinary Record, vol. 35, article 354, 1942.
- D. Carthé, M. Ansay, F. Lomba, V. Bienfet, and G. Chauvaux, “Myoglobinurie chez des poulains de demi-sang de sept mois,” Annales de Médecine Vétérinaire, vol. 120, pp. 325–331, 1976.
- D. C. Pope and C. H. Heslop, “An outbreak of myoglobinuria in light horses,” The Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 171–174, 1960.
- L. G. Tritschler and D. Miles, “An outbreak of myoglobinuria,” Veterinary Medicine, Small Animal Clinician, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 649–651, 1966.
- P. Harris and K. Whitwell, “Atypical myoglobinuria alert,” Veterinary Record, vol. 127, no. 24, article 603, 1990.
- R. A. Hillam, “Atypical myoglobinuria,” Veterinary Record, vol. 128, no. 7, article 166, 1991.
- B. D. Hosie, P. W. Gould, A. R. Hunter, J. C. Low, R. Munro, and H. C. Wilson, “Acute myopathy in horses at grass in East and South East Scotland,” Veterinary Record, vol. 119, no. 18, pp. 444–449, 1986.
- H. C. Robinson, “Atypical myoglobinuria,” Veterinary Record, vol. 128, no. 2, article 44, 1991.
- K. E. Whitwell, P. Harris, and P. G. Farrington, “Atypical myoglobinuria: an acute myopathy in grazing horses,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 357–363, 1988.
- C. Delguste, D. Cassart, E. Baise et al., “Myopathies atypiques chez les chevaux au pré: une série de cas en Belgique,” Annales de Médecine Vétérinaire, vol. 146, pp. 231–243, 2002.
- D. M. Votion, H. Amory, V. Demoulin et al., et al., “Atypical myopathy (atypical myoglobinuria) in horses,” in IVIS Reviews in Veterinary Medicine, pp. 1–21, International Veterinary Information Service, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- D. M. Votion, C. Delguste, E. Baise et al., “Presumption of atypical myopathy: identification of critical clues for diagnosis from clinical cases referred to the Veterinary Faculty of the University of Liège during spring 2003,” Annales de Médecine Vétérinaire, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 183–193, 2003.
- K. Brandt, U. Hinrichs, F. Glitz et al., “Atypical myoglobinuria in grazing horses,” Pferdeheilkunde, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 1997.
- P. Palencia and J. L. L. Rivero, “Atypical myopathy in two grazing horses in Northern Spain,” Veterinary Record, vol. 161, no. 10, pp. 346–348, 2007.
- H. van der Kolk, “Equine atypical myopathy,” Tijdschrift voor Diergeneeskunde, vol. 131, no. 24, article 934, 2006.
- G. van Galen, H. Amory, E. Busschers et al., “European outbreak of atypical myopathy in the autumn 2009,” Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 528–532, 2010.
- D. M. Votion and D. Serteyn, “Equine atypical myopathy: a review,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 185–190, 2008.
- C. Westermann, “Information for practitioners: atypical myopathy,” Tijdschrift voor Diergeneeskunde, vol. 134, no. 23, pp. 996–997, 2009.
- C. J. Finno, S. J. Valberg, A. Wünschmann, and M. J. Murphy, “Seasonal pasture myopathy in horses in the midwestern United States: 14 cases (1998–2005),” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 229, no. 7, pp. 1134–1141, 2006.
- B. T. Sponseller, S. J. Valberg, N. E. Schultz et al., “Equine multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD) associated with seasonal pasture myopathy in the Midwestern United States,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1012–1018, 2012.
- C. M. Westermann, L. Dorland, D. M. Votion et al., “Acquired multiple Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency in 10 horses with atypical myopathy,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 355–364, 2008.
- C. F. Irwin and M. F. Pulsford, “Enzootic myoglobinuria in a horse,” Australian Veterinary Journal, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 101–102, 1951.
- P. Harris, “Veterinary science and the Internet: tangible help for a better understanding of equine atypical myopathy,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2009.
- Atypical Myopathy Alert Group (AMAG), http://www.atypicalmyopathy.com/.
- G. van Galen, C. Saegerman, C. Marcillaud Pitel et al., “European outbreaks of atypical myopathy in grazing horses (2006–2009): determination of indicators for risk and prognostic factors,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 621–625, 2012.
- D. M. Votion, A. Linden, C. Delguste et al., “Atypical myopathy in grazing horses: a first exploratory data analysis,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 77–87, 2009.
- Seasonal Pasture Myopathy, http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/SPM/home.html.
- C. Puyalto-Moussu, A. Saison, and D. Leconte, “Myoglobinurie atypique: épidémiologie de cas français de myopathie aiguë,” Pratique Vétérinaire Équine, vol. 36, no. 142, pp. 29–35, 2004.
- J. H. van der Kolk, I. D. Wijnberg, C. M. Westermann et al., “Equine acquired multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD) in 14 horses associated with ingestion of Maple leaves (Acer pseudoplatanus) covered with European tar spot (Rhytisma acerinum),” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 101, no. 2-3, pp. 289–291, 2010.
- D. Cassart, E. Baise, Y. Cherel et al., “Morphological alterations in oxidative muscles and mitochondrial structure associated with equine atypical myopathy,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 2007.
- T. Verheyen, A. Decloedt, D. de Clercq, and G. van Loon, “Cardiac changes in horses with atypical myopathy,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1019–1026, 2012.
- Z. Q. Wang, X. J. Chen, S. X. Murong, N. Wang, and Z. Y. Wu, “Molecular analysis of 51 unrelated pedigrees with late-onset multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenation deficiency (MADD) in southern China confirmed the most common ETFDH mutation and high carrier frequency of c.250G>A,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 569–576, 2011.
- D. M. Votion, C. N. Hahn, and E. M. Milne, “Concurrent conditions in single cases: the need to differentiate equine dysautonomia (grass sickness) and atypical myopathy,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 390–392, 2007.
- P. S. Morley, A. E. Hill, and P. C. Duarte, “Epidemiology of equine infectious diseases,” in Equine Infectious Diseases, D. C. Sellon and M. T. Long, Eds., p. 653, Saunders Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2007.
- G. van Galen, S. Cerri, S. Porter et al., “Traditional and quantitative assessment of acid-base and shock variables in horses with atypical myopathy,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. In press.
- C. M. Westermann, M. G. M. de Sain-van der Velden, J. H. van der Kolk et al., “Equine biochemical multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD) as a cause of rhabdomyolysis,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 362–369, 2007.
- W. Onkenhout, V. Venizelos, P. F. H. van der Poel, M. P. M. van den Heuvel, and B. J. H. M. Poorthuis, “Identification and quantification of intermediates of unsaturated fatty acid metabolism in plasma of patients with fatty acid oxidation disorders,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1467–1474, 1995.
- C. G. Costa, L. Dorland, U. Holwerda et al., “Simultaneous analysis of plasma free fatty acids and their 3-hydroxy analogs in fatty acid β-oxidation disorders,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 463–471, 1998.
- H. H. Mollenhauer, L. D. Rowe, S. J. Cysewski, and D. A. Witzel, “Ultrastructural observations in ponies after treatment with monensin,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 1981.
- H. H. Mollenhauer, L. D. Rowe, and D. A. Witzel, “Effect of monensin on the morphology of mitochondria in rodent and equine striated muscle,” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 1984.
- B. T. Darras and N. R. Friedman, “Metabolic myopathies: a clinical approach; part II,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 171–181, 2000.
- D. M. Votion, R. Navet, V. A. Lacombe et al., “Muscle energetics in exercising horses,” Equine and Comparative Exercise Physiology, vol. 4, no. 3-4, pp. 105–118, 2007.
- N. E. Schultz, S. J. Valberg, and M. Lucio, “Assesment of intramyofiber lipid content in horses,” in ACVIM Forum: 2010, pp. 780–781, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Anaheim, Calif, USA, 2010.
- R. van den Hoven, Some Histochemical and Biochemical Aspects of Equine Muscles, with Special Respect to Equine Exertional Myopathy, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1987.
- G. van Galen, Epidemiological and Pathophysiological Study of Atypical Myopathy in Grazing Horses, University of Liege, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Liege, Belgium, 2012.
- C. M. Westermann, L. Dorland, O. P. van Diggelen et al., “Decreased oxidative phosphorylation and PGAM deficiency in horses suffering from atypical myopathy associated with acquired MADD,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 273–278, 2011.
- D. K. Rooney, “Applied nutrition,” in Equine Internal Medicine, D. C. Sellon, S. M. Reed, and W. M. Bayly, Eds., pp. 235–272, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- C. J. Finno and S. J. Spier, “Prevention and treatment of equine atypical myopathy—an acute, highly fatal disease of unknown etiology,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 163–164, 2008.
- Z. Zolkipli, C. B. Pedersen, A. M. Lamhonwah, N. Gregersen, and I. Tein, “Vulnerability to oxidative stress in vitro in pathophysiology of mitochondrial short-chain Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: response to antioxidants,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 4, Article ID e17534, 2011.
- R. Mehta, K. Chan, O. Lee, S. Tafazoli, and P. J. O'Brien, “Drug-associated mitochondrial toxicity,” in Drug-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction, J. A. Dykens and Y. Will, Eds., pp. 71–127, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2008.
- G. van Galen and D. M. Votion, “Management of cases suffering from atypical myopathy: interpretations of descriptive, epidemiological and pathophysiological findings. Part 1: first aid, cardiovascular, nutritional and digestive care,” Equine Veterinary Education. In press.
- G. van Galen and D. M. Votion, “Management of cases suffering from atypical myopathy: interpretations of descriptive, epidemiological and pathophysiological findings. Part 2: muscular, urinary, respiratory and hepatic care, and inflammatory/infectious status,” Equine Veterinary Education. In press.
- R. A. Lehnhard, K. H. McKeever, C. F. Kearns, and M. D. Beekley, “Myosin heavy chain profiles and body composition are different in old versus young Standardbred mares,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2004.
- J. S. Kim, K. W. Hinchcliff, M. Yamaguchi, L. A. Beard, C. D. Markert, and S. T. Devor, “Exercise training increases oxidative capacity and attenuates exercise-induced ultrastructural damage in skeletal muscle of aged horses,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 334–342, 2005.
- N. J. Rietbroek, E. G. Dingboom, S. O. Schuurman, E. H. van der Wiel, K. Eizema, and M. E. Everts, “Effect of exercise on development of capillary supply and oxidative capacity in skeletal muscle of horses,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 1226–1231, 2007.
- L. K. Johnstone, I. G. Mayhew, and L. R. Fletcher, “Clinical expression of lolitrem B (perennial ryegrass) intoxication in horses,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 304–309, 2011.
- L. Unger-Torroledo, R. Straub, A. D. Lehmann et al., “Lethal toxin of Clostridium sordellii is associated with fatal equine atypical myopathy,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 144, no. 3-4, pp. 487–492, 2010.
- S. J. Valberg, B. T. Sponseller, A. D. Hegeman, et al., “Seasonal pasture myopathy/atypical myopathy in North America associated with ingestion of Hypoglycin A within seeds of the box elder tree,” Equine Veterinary Journal. In press.
- L. Fowden and H. M. Pratt, “Cyclopropylamino acids of the genus Acer: distribution and biosynthesis,” Phytochemistry, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1677–1681, 1973.
- A. Wenz, C. Thorpe, and S. Ghisla, “Inactivation of general acyl-CoA dehydrogenase from pig kidney by a metabolite of hypoglycin A,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 256, no. 19, pp. 9809–9812, 1981.
- H. Osmundsen and H. S. A. Sherratt, “A novel mechanism for inhibition of β oxidation by methylenecyclopropylacetyl CoA, a metabolite of hypoglycin,” FEBS Letters, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 38–41, 1975.
- K. Tanaka, E. M. Miller, and K. J. Isselbacher, “Hypoglycin A: a specific inhibitor of isovaleryl CoA dehydrogenase,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 1971.