- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 515689, 5 pages
Bacteriological Quality of Abattoir Effluents Discharged into Water Bodies in Abuja, Nigeria
1Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja,
PMB 117, Abuja 901001, Nigeria
2Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja, PMB 117, Abuja 901001, Nigeria
3Department of Veterinary Parasitology and Entomology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja, PMB 117, Abuja 901001, Nigeria
4Department of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja, PMB 117, Abuja 901001, Nigeria
Received 28 March 2012; Accepted 3 June 2012
Academic Editors: A. Balkema-Buschmann, P. Butaye, and M. H. Kogut
Copyright © 2012 W. D. Nafarnda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Obgonnaya, “Analysis of groundwater pollution from abattoir waste in Minna, Nigeria,” Research Journal of Dairy Sciences, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 74–77, 2008.
- S. I. B. Cadmus, B. O. Olugasa, and G. A. T. Ogundipe, “The prevalence and zoonotic importance of bovine tuberculosis in Ibadan,” in Proceedings of the 37th Annual Congress of the Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association, pp. 65–70, 1999.
- J. R. Miner, R. I. Lipper, L. R. Fina, and J. W. Funk, “Cattle feedlot runoff and its nature and variation,” Water Pollution Control Federation, vol. 38, p. 1582, 1966.
- J. J. Janzen, A. B. Bodine, and L. I. Luszoz, “A survey of effects of animal wastes on streat pollution from selected dairy farms,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 260–263, 1974.
- J. W. Doran and D. M. Linn, “Bacteriological quality of runoff water from pastureland,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 985–991, 1979.
- J. R. Kunkel, W. M. Murphy, D. Rogers, and D. T. Dugdale, “Seasonal control of gastrointestinal parasites among dairy heifers,” Bovine Practitioner, vol. 18, article 54, 1983.
- J. Giddens and A. P. Barnett, “Soil loss and microbiological quality of runoff from land treated with poultry litter,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 518–520, 1980.
- T. A. McCaskey, G. H. Robins, and J. A. Little, “Water quality of runoff from grassland applied with liquid, semi liquid and dairy day waste,” in Livestock Waste Management and Pollution Abatement, pp. 239–243, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, St. Joseph, Mich, USA, 1971.
- E. P. Dunigan and R. P. Dick, “Nutrient and coliform losses in runoff from fertilized and sewage sludge-treated soil,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 243–250, 1980.
- O. Osibanjo and G. U. Adie, “Impact of effluent from Bodija abattoir on the physicochemical parameters of Oshunkaye stream in Ibadan City, Nigeria,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 6, no. 15, pp. 1806–1811, 2007.
- W. D. Nafarnda, A. Yaji, and H. I. Kubkomawa, “Impact of abattoir waste on aquatic life: a case study of Yola abattoir,” Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, vol. 12, pp. 31–33, 2006.
- A. O. Coker, B. O. Olugasa, and A. O. Adeyemi, “Abattoir and wastewater quality in South Western Nigeria,” in Proceedings of the 27th Water, Engineering and Development Centre Conference, Lusaka, Zambia, 2001.
- World Bank, “Poor Management of Processing Wastes. Environmental Assessment: Pressure State Response Indicators,” Pollution Prevention and Abatement Handbook, 1998.
- B. M. Sherer, R. J. Miner, J. A. Moore, and J. C. Buckhouse, “Indicator bacterial survival in stream sediments,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 591–595, 1992.
- M. D. Sobsey, L. A. Khatib, V. R. Hill, E. Alocilja, and S. Pillai, “Pathogens in Animal Wastes and the Impacts of Waste Management Practices on their Survival, Transport, and Fate,” White paper for The National Center for Manure & Agricultural Waste Management, 2002, http://www.mwpshq.org/.
- S. G. Jackson, R. B. Goodbrand, R. P. Johnson et al., “Escherichia coli O157:H7 diarrhoea associated with well water and infected cattle on an Ontario farm,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 17–20, 1998.
- L. Armand-Lefevre, R. Ruimy, and A. Andremont, “Clonal comparison of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from healthy pig farmers, human controls, and pigs,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 711–714, 2005.
- W. F. Schlech, P. M. Lavigne, R. A. Bortolussi et al., “Epidemic listeriosis-evidence for transmission by food,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 308, pp. 203–206, 2005.
- D. Byamukama, R. L. Mach, F. M. Kansiime, M. Manafi, and A. H. Farnleitner, “Discrimination efficacy of fecal pollution detection in different aquatic habitats of a high-altitude tropical country, using presumptive coliforms, Escherichia coli, and Clostridium perfringens spores,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2005.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), “Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Bacteria,” EPA 440/5-84-002, Washington, DC, USA, 1986.
- D. O. Alonge, Textbook of Meat Hygiene in The Tropics, Farmcoe Press, Ibadan, Nigeria, 2nd edition, 2001.
- O. Odeyemi, “Consequences of water pollution by solid wastes and feacal materials in Nigeria,” in Proceedings of the 3rd National Conference on Water Pollution, pp. 11–17, Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 1980.
- CIA Publications, The World Fact Book, 2011.
- A. D. Eaton, L. S. Clesceri, E. W. Rice, A. E. Greenberg, and M. A. H. Franson, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water & Wastewateredition, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 21st edition, 2005.
- Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA), Guidelines and Standards for Environmental Pollution Control in Nigeria, Ministry of Environment, Lagos, Nigeria, 1991.
- N. G. Fransen, A. M. G. Van den Elzen, B. A. P. Urlings, and P. G. H. Bijker, “Pathogenic micro-organisms in slaughterhouse sludge—a survey,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 2-3, pp. 245–256, 1996.
- M. O. Benka-Coker and O. O. Ojior, “Effect of slaughterhouse wastes on the water quality of Ikpoba River, Nigeria,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 5–12, 1995.
- H. Nelson, “The contamination of organic produce by human pathogens in animal manures,” Ecological Agriculture Projects, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Science, McGill University (Macdonald Campus), Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC, Canada, 1997, http://eap.mcgill.ca/SFMC_1.htm.
- P. S. Millard, K. F. Gensheimer, and D. G. Adoiss, “An outbreak of cryptosporidiosis from fresh-pressed apple cider,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, no. 20, pp. 1592–1596, 1994.
- P. R. Cieslak, T. J. Barrett, and P. M. Griffin, “Escherichia coli 0157:H7 infection from a manured garden,” The Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8867, p. 367, 1993.
- L. S. Barros, L. A. Amaral, C. S. Lorenzon, J. L. Junior, and J. G. Neto, “Potential microbiological contamination of effluents in poultry and swine abattoirs,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 505–518, 2007.
- R. Pepperell, J. Massanet-Nicolau, V. M. Allen, and S. Buncic, “Potential for spread of some bacterial and protozoan pathogens via abattoir wastes applied on agricultural land food protection,” Trends, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 351–325, 2003.