- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 241953, 11 pages
Pilot Study of 15 Patients Receiving a New Treatment Regimen for Androgenic Alopecia: The Effects of Atopy on AGA
Hair Cynr-G Inc., 11500 West Olympic Boulevard, No. 630, Los Angeles, CA 90064, USA
Received 8 February 2011; Accepted 16 March 2011
Academic Editor: A. R. Ercocen
Copyright © 2011 A. W. Rafi and R. M. Katz. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Mella, M. C. Perret, M. Manzotti, H. N. Catalano, and G. Guyatt, “Efficacy and safety of finasteride therapy for androgenetic alopecia: a systematic review,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 146, no. 10, pp. 1141–1150, 2010.
- J. A. Ellis, R. Sinclair, and S. B. Harrap, “Androgenetic alopecia: pathogenesis and potential for therapy,” Expert Reviews in Molecular Medicine, vol. 4, pp. 1–11, 2002.
- O. T. Norwood, Hair Transplant Surgery, Charles C Thomas Publishers, Springfield, Ill, USA, 1973.
- R. J. Rajput, “Controversy: is there a role for adjuvants in the management of male pattern hair loss?” Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 82–86, 2010.
- E. A. Olsen, M. Hordinsky, D. Whiting et al., “The importance of dual 5α-reductase inhibition in the treatment of male pattern hair loss: results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasteride,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1014–1023, 2006.
- E. Olsen, “Pattern hair loss,” in Disorders of Hair Growth. Diagnosis and Treatment, pp. 321–362, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- R. Sinclair, “Fortnightly review. Male pattern androgenetic alopecia,” British Medical Journal, vol. 317, no. 7162, pp. 865–869, 1998.
- D. A. Whiting, “Male pattern hair loss: current understanding,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 561–566, 1998.
- J. D. Wilson, J. E. Griffin, and D. W. Russell, “Steroid 5α-reductase 2 deficiency,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 577–593, 1993.
- C. Piérard-Franchimont, P. De Doncker, G. Cauwenbergh, and G. E. Piérard, “Ketoconazole shampoo: effect of long-term use in androgenic alopecia,” Dermatology, vol. 196, no. 4, pp. 474–477, 1998.
- M. Downs, “Nizoral shampoo for hair loss,” DERMAdoctor, http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Nizoral-Shampoo-for-Hair-Loss_198.html.
- J. Jiang, R. Tsuboi, Y. Kojima, and H. Ogawa, “Topical application of ketoconazole stimulates hair growth in C3H/HeN mice,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 243–247, 2005.
- M. Hiruma, D. J. Maeng, M. Kobayashi, H. Suto, and H. Ogawa, “Fungi and atopic dermatitis,” Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 79–83, 1999.
- H. C. Eun, O. S. Kwon, J. H. Yeon et al., “Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of dutasteride 0.5 mg once daily in male patients with male pattern hair loss: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III study,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 252–258, 2010.
- T. Sato, T. Sonoda, S. Itami, and S. Takayasu, “Predominance of type I 5α-reductase in apocrine sweat glands of patients with excessive or abnormal odour derived from apocrine sweat (osmidrosis),” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 806–810, 1998.
- D. Thiboutot, G. Harris, V. Iles, G. Cimis, K. Gilliland, and S. Hagari, “Activity of the type 1 5α-reductase exhibits regional differences in isolated sebaceous glands and whole skin,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 209–214, 1995.
- E. P. Jenkins, S. Andersson, J. Imperato-McGinley, J. D. Wilson, and D. W. Russell, “Genetic and pharmacological evidence for more than one human steroid 5α-reductase,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 293–300, 1992.
- D. W. Russell and J. D. Wilson, “Steroid 5α-reductase: two genes/two enzymes,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 63, pp. 25–61, 1994.
- A. E. Thigpen, R. I. Silver, J. M. Guileyardo, M. L. Casey, J. D. McConnell, and D. W. Russell, “Tissue distribution and ontogeny of steroid 5α-reductase isozyme expression,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 903–910, 1993.
- R. V. Clark, D. J. Hermann, G. R. Cunningham, T. H. Wilson, B. B. Morrill, and S. Hobbs, “Marked suppression of dihydrotestosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia by dutasteride, a dual 5α-reductase inhibitor,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 2179–2184, 2004.
- R. M. Trüeb, “Association between smoking and hair loss: another opportunity for health education against smoking?” Dermatology, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 189–191, 2003.
- J. G. Mosley and A. C. C. Gibbs, “Premature grey hair and hair loss among smokers: a new opportunity for health education?” British Medical Journal, vol. 313, no. 7072, p. 1616, 1996.
- M. Musquera, N. E. Fleshner, A. Finelli, and A. R. Zlotta, “The REDUCE trial: chemoprevention in prostate cancer using a dual 5α-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1073–1079, 2008.
- B. J. Schmitz-Dräger, C. Fischer, E. Bismarck, H. J. Dörsam, and G. Lümmen, “The prostate cancer prevention trial (PCPT): relevance for clinical practice,” Der Urologe A, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1364–1370, 2007.