- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 248280, 7 pages
In Vivo Effects of Antiviral Protein Kinase C Modulators on Zebrafish Development and Survival
1Department of Biology, Chestnut Hill College, Philadelphia, PA 19118, USA
2Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Received 20 October 2011; Accepted 13 November 2011
Academic Editors: R. Konig and S. T. Larsen
Copyright © 2011 Richard V. Davis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. W. Chun, D. Engel, S. B. Mizell et al., “Effect of interleukin-2 on the pool of latently infected, resting CD4+ T cells in HIV-1-infected patients receiving highly active anti-retroviral therapy,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 651–655, 1999.
- J. Kulkosky, D. M. Culnan, J. Roman et al., “Prostratin: activation of latent HIV-1 expression suggests a potential inductive adjuvant therapy for HAART,” Blood, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 3006–3015, 2001.
- J. Kulkosky and R. J. Pomerantz, “Approaching eradication of highly active antiretroviral therapy-persistent human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reservoirs with immune activation therapy,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1520–1526, 2002.
- S. Bray and J. Kulkosky, “HAART-persistent HIV-1 latent reservoirs: their origin, mechanisms of stability and potential strategies for eradication,” Current HIV Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 199–208, 2006.
- D. G. Brooks, D. H. Hamer, P. A. Arlen et al., “Molecular characterization, reactivation, and depletion of latent HIV,” Immunity, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 413–423, 2003.
- D. D. Richman, D. M. Margolis, M. Delaney, W. C. Greene, D. Hazuda, and R. J. Pomerantz, “The challenge of finding a cure for HIV infection,” Science, vol. 324, no. 5919, pp. 1264–1265, 2009.
- D. Finzi, J. Blankson, D. Siliciano et al., “Latent infection of CD4+ T cells provides a mechanism for lifelong persistence of HIV-1, even in patients on effective combination therapy,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 512–517, 1999.
- Y. D. Korin, D. G. Brooks, S. Brown, A. Korotzer, and J. A. Zack, “Effects of prostratin on T-cell activation and human immunodeficiency virus latency,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 16, pp. 8118–8123, 2002.
- J. Kulkosky, J. Sullivan, Y. Xu, E. Souder, D. H. Hamer, and R. J. Pomerantz, “Expression of latent HAART-persistent HIV type 1 induced by novel cellular activating agents,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 497–505, 2004.
- F. X. Wang, J. Sullivan, E. Souder et al., “IL-7 is a potent and proviral strain-specific inducer of latent HIV-1 cellular reservoirs of infected individuals on virally suppressive HAART,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 128–137, 2005.
- M. Perez, A. G. de Vinuesa, G. Sanchez-Duffhues, et al., “Bryostatin-1 synergizes with histone deacteylase inhibitors to reactivate HIV-1 from latency,” Current HIV Research, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 418–429, 2010.
- R. Mehla, S. Bivalkar-Mehla, R. Zhang et al., “Bryostatin modulates latent HIV-1 infection via PKC and AMPK signaling but inhibits acute infection in a receptor independent manner,” Plos One, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1–15, 2010.
- C. A. Slatter, H. Kanji, C. A. Coutts, and D. W. Ali, “Expression of PKC in the developing zebrafish, Danio rerio,” Journal of Neurobiology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 425–438, 2005.
- R. Etcheberrigaray, M. Tan, I. Dewachtert et al., “Therapeutic effects of PKC activators in Alzheimer's disease transgenic mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 30, pp. 11141–11146, 2004.
- E. M. Griner and M. G. Kazanietz, “Protein kinase C and other diacylglycerol effectors in cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 281–294, 2007.
- L. Xiao, M. C. Caino, V. A. von Burstin, J. L. Oliva, and M. G. Kazanietz, “Phorbol ester-induced apoptosis and senescence in cancer cell models,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 446, pp. 123–139, 2008.
- L. Chang and M. Karin, “Mammalian MAP kinase signalling cascades,” Nature, vol. 410, no. 6824, pp. 37–40, 2001.
- J. Raingeaud, S. Gupta, J. Rogers et al., “Pro-inflammatory cytokines and environmental stress cause p38 mitogen- activated protein kinase activation by dual phosphorylation on tyrosine and threonine,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 13, pp. 7420–7426, 1995.
- Y. Do, E. Mainali, P. S. Nagarkatti, and M. Nagarkatti, “Bryostatin-1 in combination with calcium ionophore promotes the maturation of human umbilical cord-blood monocyte-derived dendritic cells capable of activating neonatal alloreactive T cells,” Cellular Immunology, vol. 231, no. 1-2, pp. 8–13, 2004.
- M. D. Show, C. M. Hill, M. D. Anway, W. W. Wright, and B. R. Zirkin, “Phosphorylation of Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 8 (MAPK8) is associated with germ cell apoptosis and redistribution of the Bcl2-modifying factor (BMF),” Journal of Andrology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 338–344, 2008.
- P. M. Barr, H. M. Lazarus, B. W. Cooper et al., “Phase II study of bryostatin 1 and vincristine for aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma relapsing after an autologous stem cell transplant,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 484–487, 2009.
- A. P. Lam, J. A. Sparano, V. Vinciguerra et al., “Phase II study of paclitaxel plus the protein kinase C inhibitor bryostatin-1 in advanced pancreatic carcinoma,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 121–124, 2010.
- B. D. Smith, R. J. Jones, E. Cho et al., “Differentiation therapy in poor risk myeloid malignancies: results of a dose finding study of the combination bryostatin-1 and GM-CSF,” Leukemia Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 87–94, 2011.
- M.-K. Sun, J. Hongpaisan, and D. L. Alkon, “Postischemic PKC activation rescues retrograde and anterograde long-term memory,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 34, pp. 14676–14680, 2009.
- M.-K. Sun and D. L. Alkon, “Dual effects of bryostatin-1 on spatial memory and depression,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 512, no. 1, pp. 43–51, 2005.