- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 365276, 11 pages
Effect of Red Mud on the Corrosion of Reinforced Concrete Studied by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy
1Department of Materials Science and Technology, Federal University of Bahia, Rua Aristides Novis 02, Federação, 40210-630 Salvador, BA, Brazil
2Department of Materials Engineering, Federal University of São Carlos, Rodovia Washington Luis, Km 235, 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
3Ceramics and Glass Engineering Department, CICECO, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitário de Santiago, 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
4UIDM, ESTG, Polytechnic Institute of Viana do Castelo, Avenida do Atlântico, 4900-348 Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Received 15 June 2011; Accepted 27 July 2011
Academic Editor: B. Luan
Copyright © 2011 D. V. Ribeiro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IBRAM—Brazilian Mining Association, “Bauxita,” 2009, http://www.ibram.org.br/sites/1300/1382/00000033.pdf.
- Roskill Reports, “The economics of bauxite & alumina,” 2010, http://www.roskill.com/reports/industrial-minerals/bauxite/leaflet.
- S. S. Amritphale, A. Anshul, N. Chandra, and N. Ramakrishnan, “A novel process for making radiopaque materials using bauxite-Red mud,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1945–1951, 2007.
- E. Kalkan, “Utilization of red mud as a stabilization material for the preparation of clay liners,” Engineering Geology, vol. 87, no. 3-4, pp. 220–229, 2006.
- P. Asokan, M. Saxena, and S. R. Asolekar, “Coal combustion residues—environmental implications and recycling potentials,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 239–262, 2005.
- S. S. Amritphale and M. Patel, “Utilisation of red mud, fly ash for manufacturing bricks with pyrophyllite,” Silicates Industriels, vol. 2, pp. 31–35, 1987.
- V. M. Sglavo, S. Maurina, A. Conci, A. Salviati, G. Carturan, and G. Cocco, “Bauxite ‘red mud’ in the ceramic industry. Part 2: production of clay-based ceramics,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 245–252, 2000.
- N. Yalçin and V. Sevinç, “Utilization of bauxite waste in ceramic glazes,” Ceramics International, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 485–493, 2000.
- P. E. Tsakiridis, S. Agatzini-Leonardou, and P. Oustadakis, “Red mud addition in the raw meal for the production of Portland cement clinker,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 116, no. 1-2, pp. 103–110, 2004.
- M. Singh, S. N. Upadhayay, and P. M. Prasad, “Preparation of iron rich cements using red mud,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1037–1046, 1997.
- M. F. Montemor, A. M. P. Simões, and M. G. S. Ferreira, “Chloride-induced corrosion on reinforcing steel: from the fundamentals to the monitoring techniques,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 25, no. 4-5, pp. 491–502, 2003.
- K. R. R. Freire, Avaliação do desempenho de inibidores de corrosão em armaduras de concreto, Ph.D. thesis, Federal University of Paraná (UFPR), Paraná, Brazil, 2005.
- S. Wolynec, Técnicas Eletroquímicas em Corrosão, EDUSP, São Paulo, Brazil, 1st edition, 2003.
- M. A. G. T. C. Machado, Inibidores de corrosão em concreto armado contra o ataque de agentes da chuva ácida, Ph.D. thesis, Federal University of São Carlos (UFSCar), São Carlos, Brazil, 2004.
- B. J. Christensen, R. T. Coverdale, R. A. Olson et al., “Impedance spectroscopy of hydrating cement-based materials: measurement, interpretation, and application,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 2789–2804, 1994.
- B. J. Christensen, T. O. Mason, and H. M. Jennings, “Influence of silica fume on the early hydration of Portland cements using impedance spectroscopy,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 75, pp. 939–945, 1992.
- J. J. Vermoyal, A. Frichet, L. Dessemond, and A. Hammou, “AC impedance study of corrosion films formed on zirconium based alloys,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1039–1048, 1999.
- L. F. Maia and A. C. M. Rodrigues, “Electrical conductivity and relaxation frequency of lithium borosilicate glasses,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 87–92, 2004.
- R. T. Coverdale, R. A. Olson, B. J. Christensen et al., “Interpretation of the impedance spectroscopy of cement paste via computer modelling—part III: microstructural analysis of frozen cement paste,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 30, no. 20, pp. 5078–5086, 1995.
- D. V. Ribeiro, Influência da adição da lama vermelha nas propriedades e na corrosibilidade do concreto armado, Ph.D. thesis, Federal University of São Carlos (UFSCar), São Carlos, Brazil, 2010.
- F. G. Silva, Estudo de concretos de alto desempenho frente à ação de cloretos, Ph.D. thesis, University of São Paulo (USP), São Carlos, Brazil, 2006.