- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 391641, 5 pages
Camel Milk Is a Safer Choice than Goat Milk for Feeding Children with Cow Milk Allergy
1Section of Pediatric Allergy-Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, Hamad Medical Corporation, P.O. Box 3050, Doha, Qatar
2Weill Cornell Medical College, Doha, Qatar
3Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, Qatar
4Department of Public Health, Weill Cornell Medical College, Doha, Qatar
5Deptartment Evidence for Population Health Unit, School of Epidemiology and Health Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
6Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Department of Pediatrics, Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, Qatar
7Department of Pediatrics, Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, Qatar
Received 13 April 2011; Accepted 20 May 2011
Academic Editors: A. Fukushima, R. Paganelli, and B. Vonakis
Copyright © 2011 Mohammad Ehlayel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Rona, T. Keil, C. Summers et al., “The prevalence of food allergy: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 638–646, 2007.
- C. M. Kneepkens and Y. Meijer, “Clinical practice. Diagnosis and treatment of cow's milk allergy,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 168, no. 8, pp. 891–896, 2009.
- A. Fiocchi, J. Brozek, H. Schünemann et al., “World allergy organization (WAO) diagnosis and rationale for action against cow's milk allergy (DRACMA) guidelines,” World Allergy Organization Journal, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 57–161, 2010.
- E. I. El-Agamy, “The challenge of cow milk protein allergy,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 68, no. 1-2, pp. 64–72, 2007.
- M. A. Muraro, P. G. Giampietro, and E. Galli, “Soy formulas and nonbovine milk,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 97–101, 2002.
- B. Bellioni-Businco, R. Paganelli, P. Lucenti, P. G. Giampietro, H. Perborn, and L. Businco, “Allergenicity of goat's milk in children with cow's milk allergy,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1191–1194, 1999.
- P. Restani, B. Beretta, A. Fiocchi, C. Ballabio, and C. L. Galli, “Cross-reactivity between mammalian proteins,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 89, no. 6, supplement 1, pp. 11–15, 2002.
- R. Tesse, C. Paglialunga, S. Braccio, and L. Armenio, “Adequacy and tolerance to ass's milk in an Italian cohort of children with cow's milk allergy,” Italian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 35, no. 19, article no. 35, 2009.
- W. J. Sheehan, A. Gardynski, and W. Phipatanakul, “Skin testing with water buffalo's milk in children with cow's milk allergy,” Pediatric Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 121–125, 2009.
- P. Restani, C. Ballabio, C. Di Lorenzo, S. Tripodi, and A. Fiocchi, “Molecular aspects of milk allergens and their role in clinical events,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 395, no. 1, pp. 47–56, 2009.
- T. Keil, D. McBride, K. Grimshaw et al., “The multinational birth cohort of EuroPrevall: background, aims and methods,” Allergy, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 482–490, 2010.
- B. Niggemann and K. Beyer, “Diagnosis of food allergy in children: toward a standardization of food challenge,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 399–404, 2007.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), United Nations, “9.Milk and milk products,” http://www.fao.org/WAIRdocs/x5434e/x5434e0d.htm.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), United Nations, “Methods of processing camel milk into cheese,” http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0755e/t0755e04.htm.
- Joint Council of Allergy & Immunology, “Allergy diagnostic testing: an updated practice parameters,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, vol. 100, no. 3, supplement 3, pp. S1–S148, 2008.
- Y. Katz, M. R. Goldberg, G. Zadik-Mnuhin, M. Leshno, and E. Heyman, “Cross-sensitization between milk proteins: reactivity to a “Kosher” epitope?” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 85–88, 2008.
- D. Infante Pina, R. Tormo Carnice, and M. Conde Zandueta, “Use of goat's milk in patients with cow's milk allergy,” Anales de Pediatria, vol. 60, pp. 385–386, 2004.
- F. Pessler and M. Nejat, “Anaphylactic reaction to goat's milk in a cow's milk-allergic infant,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 183–185, 2004.
- T. Muñoz Martín, B. De La Hoz Caballer, F. Marañón Lizana, R. González Mendiola, P. Prieto Montaño, and M. Sánchez Cano, “Selective allergy to sheep's and goat's milk proteins,” Allergologia et Immunopathologia, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 2004.
- S. Ah-Leung, H. Bernard, E. Bidat, et al., “Allergy to goat and sheep milk without allergy to cow's milk with cow milk proteins, but also with that of other mammalian milks such as sheep,” Allergy, vol. 61, pp. 1385–1365, 2006.
- M. Calvani and C. Alessandri, “Anaphylaxis to sheep's milk cheese in a child unaffected by cow's milk protein allergy,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2010.
- N. Youcef, D. Saidi, F. Mezemaze et al., “Cross reactivity between dromedary whey proteins and IgG anti bovine α-lactalbumin and anti bovine β-lactoglobulin,” American Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1448–1452, 2009.
- E. I. El-Agamy, M. Nawar, S. M. Shamsia, S. Awad, and G. F. W. Haenlein, “Are camel milk proteins convenient to the nutrition of cow milk allergic children?” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2009.
- Y. Shabo, R. Barzel, M. Margoulis, and R. Yagil, “Camel milk for food allergies in children,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 796–798, 2005.