- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 421505, 10 pages
The Loss of Resistance Nerve Blocks
1Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Liverpool University Hospitals, 11th Floor Prescot street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
2Mersey Deanery, Summers Road, Liverpool L3 4BL, UK
Received 10 August 2011; Accepted 15 September 2011
Academic Editor: A. Mizutani
Copyright © 2011 Shiv Kumar Singh and S. M. Gulyam Kuruba. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Marhofer, M. Greher, and S. Kapral, “Ultrasound guidance in regional anaesthesia,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 7–17, 2005.
- M. K. Peterson, F. A. Millar, and D. G. Sheppard, “Ultrasound-guided nerve blocks,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 621–624, 2002.
- R. G. Craig and S. K. Singh, “A new technique for ilio-inguinal and iliohypogastric nerve block,” Anaesthesia, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 96–97, 2007.
- J. A. Gosling, P. F. Harris, I. Whitmore, and P. L.T. Willan, “Anterior abdominal wall,” in Human Anatomy: Color Atlas and Text, pp. 127–135, Elsevier Science, 4th edition, 2002.
- W. M. Rozen, T. M. N. Tran, M. W. Ashton, M. J. Barrington, J. J. Ivanusic, and G. I. Taylor, “Refining the course of the thoracolumbar nerves: a new understanding of the innervation of the anterior abdominal wall,” Clinical Anatomy, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 325–333, 2008.
- G. J. Romanes, “The abdomen,” in Cunningham’s Manual of Practical Anatomy, pp. 93–184, Oxford University Press, 15th edition, 1994.
- J. A. Gosling, P. F. Harris, I. Whitmore, and P. L. T. Willan, “Anterior compartment of thigh,” in Human Anatomy: Color Atlas and Text, p. 234, Elsevier Science, 4th edition, 2002.
- O. Finnerty, J. Carney, and J. G. McDonnell, “Trunk blocks for abdominal surgery,” Anaesthesia, vol. 65, pp. 76–83, 2010.
- J. G. McDonnell, B. O'Donnell, G. Curley, A. Heffernan, C. Power, and J. G. Laffey, “The analgesic efficacy of transversus abdominis plane block after abdominal surgery: a prospective randomized controlled trial,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 193–197, 2007.
- M. Singh, K. J. Chin, and V. Chan, “Ultrasound-guided transversus abdominis plane (TAP) block: a useful adjunct in the management of postoperative respiratory failure,” Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 303–306, 2011.
- F. Bonnet, J. Berger, and C. Aveline, “Transversus abdominis plane block: what is its role in postoperative analgesia?” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 468–470, 2009.
- P. L. Petersen, O. Mathiesen, H. Torup, and J. B. Dahl, “The transversus abdominis plane block: a valuable option for postoperative analgesia? A topical review,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 529–535, 2010.
- J. Carney, J. G. McDonnell, A. Ochana, R. Bhinder, and J. G. Laffey, “The transversus abdominis plane block provides effective postoperative analgesia in patients undergoing total abdominal hysterectomy,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 2056–2060, 2008.
- J. G. McDonnell, G. Curley, J. Carney et al., “The analgesic efficacy of transversus abdominis plane block after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 186–191, 2008.
- B. E. Smith, M. Suchak, D. Siggins, and J. Challands, “Rectus sheath block for diagnostic laparoscopy,” Anaesthesia, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 947–948, 1988.
- J. Muir and S. Ferguson, “The rectus sheath block—well worth remembering,” Anaesthesia, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 893–894, 1996.
- S. M. Yentis, P. Hills-Wright, and O. Potparic, “Development and evaluation of combined rectus sheath and ilioinguinal blocks for abdominal gynaecological surgery,” Anaesthesia, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 475–479, 1999.
- R. S. Hannallah, L. M. Broadman, and A. B. Belman, “Comparison of caudal and ilioinguinal/iliohypogastric nerve blocks for control of post-orchiopexy pain in pediatric ambulatory surgery,” Anesthesiology, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 832–834, 1987.
- A. Yilmazlar, H. Bilgel, C. Donmez, A. Guney, T. Yilmazlar, and O. Tokat, “Comparison of ilioinguinal-iliohypogastric nerve block versus spinal anesthesia for inguinal herniorrhaphy,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 48–51, 2006.
- D. Nehra, L. Gemmell, and J. K. Pye, “Pain relief after inguinal hernia repair: a randomized double-blind study,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 1245–1247, 1995.
- E. A. Bell, B. P. Jones, A. J. Olufolabi et al., “Iliohypogastric-ilioinguinal peripheral nerve block for post-Cesarean delivery analgesia decreases morphine use but not opioid-related side effects,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 694–700, 2002.
- M. C. Kelly, H. T. Beers, B. K. Huss, and H. M. E. Gilliland, “Bilateral ilioinguinal nerve blocks for analgesia after total abdominal hysterectomy,” Anaesthesia, vol. 51, no. 4, p. 406, 1996.
- U. Eichenberger, M. Greher, L. Kirchmair, M. Curatolo, and B. Moriggl, “Ultrasound-guided blocks of the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastric nerve: accuracy of a selective new technique confirmed by anatomical dissection,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 238–243, 2006.
- H. Willschke, P. Marhofer, A. Bösenberg et al., “Ultrasonography for ilioinguinal/iliohypogastric nerve blocks in children,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 226–230, 2005.
- H. Willschke, A. Bösenberg, P. Marhofer et al., “Ultrasonographic-guided ilioinguinal/iliohypogastric nerve block in rediatric anesthesia: what is the optimal volume?” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 1680–1684, 2006.
- N. B. Foss, B. B. Kristensen, M. Bundgaard et al., “Fascia iliaca compartment blockade for acute pain control in hip fracture patients: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial,” Anesthesiology, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 773–778, 2007.
- D. G. Monzon, K. V. Iserson, and J. A. Vazquez, “Single fascia iliaca block for post-hip fracture pain relief,” Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 257–262, 2007.