- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 702372, 6 pages
A Review of the Predictive Role of Plasma D-Lactate Level in Acute Appendicitis: A Myth or Truth?
1Department of Emergency Medicine, Ozel Ege Saglik Hospital, Universal Hospitals Group, Alsancak, 35220 Izmir, Turkey
2Department of Emergency Medicine, Acibadem University, 34140 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 10 June 2011; Accepted 8 August 2011
Academic Editors: M. Pacheco, P. Scheepers, and B. Yucesoy
Copyright © 2011 Pinar Unverir and Ozgur Karcioglu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Craig, “Appendicitis,” Emedicine Medical Reference Site, 2011, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/773895-overview.
- O. H. Wangensteen and C. Dennis, “Experimental proof of the obstructive origin of appendicitis in man,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 629–647, 1939.
- M. S. Itskowitz and S. M. Jones, “Appendicitis,” Emergency Medicine, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 10–15, 2004.
- S. G. Rothrock and J. Pagane, “Acute appendicitis in children: emergency department diagnosis and management,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 39–51, 2000.
- A. Kentsis, Y. Y. Lin, K. Kurek et al., “Discovery and validation of urine markers of acute pediatric appendicitis using high-accuracy mass spectrometry,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 62–70, 2010.
- J. F. Bealer and M. Colgin, “S100A8/A9: a potential new diagnostic aid for acute appendicitis,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 333–336, 2010.
- S. A. Käser, G. Fankhauser, N. Willi, and C. A. Maurer, “C-reactive protein is superior to bilirubin for anticipation of perforation in acute appendicitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 7-8, pp. 885–892, 2010.
- M. Groselj-Grenc, S. Repše, D. Vidmar, and M. Derganc, “Clinical and laboratory methods in diagnosis of acute appendicitis in children,” Croatian Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 353–361, 2007.
- H. Paajanen, A. Mansikka, M. Laato, R. Ristamäki, K. Pulkki, and S. Kostiainen, “Novel serum inflammatory markers in acute appendicitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 579–584, 2002.
- M. Sand, X. V. Trullen, F. G. Bechara et al., “A prospective bicenter study investigating the diagnostic value of procalcitonin in patients with acute appendicitis,” European Surgical Research, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 291–297, 2009.
- M. Demircan, S. Cetin, S. Uguralp, N. Sezgin, A. Karaman, and E. M. Gozukara, “Plasma D-lactic acid level: a useful marker to distinguish perforated from acute simple appendicitis,” Asian Journal of Surgery, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 303–305, 2004.
- A. C. Vahl, N. J. M. Out, B. A. E. Kapteijn, and A. R. Koomen, “Nothing gained the determinations of plasma lactate levels in the evaluation of a patient with acute abdomen,” Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde, vol. 142, no. 16, pp. 901–904, 1998.
- A. P. Duzgun, G. Bugdayci, B. Sayin, M. M. Ozmen, M. V. Ozer, and F. Coskun, “Serum D-lactate: a useful diagnostic marker for acute appendicitis,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 54, no. 77, pp. 1483–1486, 2007.
- Y. Albayrak, A. Albayrak, M. Celik, et al., “High mobility group box protein-1 (HMGB-1) as a new diagnostic marker in patients with acute appendicitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine, vol. 19, p. 27, 2011.
- D. C. English, W. Allen, E. D. Coppola, and A. Sher, “Excessive dependence on the leukocytosis cue in diagnosing appendicitis,” American Surgeon, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 399–402, 1977.
- A. Marchand, F. van Lente, and R. S. Galen, “The assessment of laboratory tests in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 369–374, 1983.
- B. Vermeulen, A. Morabia, and P. F. Unger, “Influence of white cell count on surgical decision making in patients with abdominal pain in the right lower quadrant,” European Journal of Surgery, vol. 161, no. 7, pp. 483–486, 1995.
- D. L. Jaye and K. B. Waites, “Clinical applications of C-reactive protein in pediatrics,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 735–747, 1997.
- K. Y. Kwan and A. L. Nager, “Diagnosing pediatric appendicitis: usefulness of laboratory markers,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1009–1015, 2010.
- J. B. Ewaschuk, J. M. Naylor, and G. A. Zello, “D-lactate in human and ruminant metabolism,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 7, pp. 1619–1625, 2005.
- S. M. Smith, “D-Lactic acid production as a monitor of the effectiveness of antimicrobial agents,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 237–241, 1991.
- S. M. Smith, R. H. K. Eng, J. M. Campos, and H. Chmel, “D-Lactic acid measurements in the diagnosis of bacterial infections,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 385–388, 1989.
- M. A. Marcos, J. Vila, J. Gratacós, M. A. Brancos, and M. T. J. de Anta, “Determination of D-lactate concentration for rapid diagnosis of bacterial infections of body fluids,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 966–969, 1991.
- Z. Qiao, Z. Li, J. Li, L. Lu, Y. Lv, and J. Li, “Bacterial translocation and change in intestinal permeability in patients after abdominal surgery,” Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology—Medical Science, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 486–491, 2009.
- B. Kamlage, B. Gruhl, and M. Blaut, “Isolation and characterization of two new homoacetogenic hydrogen-utilizing bacteria from the human intestinal tract that are closely related to Clostridium coccoides,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1732–1738, 1997.
- V. L. Jørgensen, N. Reiter, and A. Perner, “Luminal concentrations of L- and D-lactate in the rectum may relate to severity of disease and outcome in septic patients,” Critical Care, vol. 10, no. 6, p. R163, 2006.
- J. Y. Li, D. Sun, Y. Lu et al., “Change in intestinal function in sepsis in rat,” Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 352–354, 2004.
- M. Poeze, B. C. J. Solberg, J. W. M. Greve, and G. Ramsay, “Gastric PgCO2 and Pg-aCO2 gap are related to D-lactate and not to L-lactate levels in patients with septic shock,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 2081–2085, 2003.
- F. Caglayan, M. Cakmak, O. Caglayan, and T. Cavusoglu, “Plasma D-lactate levels in diagnosis of appendicitis,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 233–237, 2003.
- A. I. Filiz, H. Aladag, M. L. Akin et al., “The role of D-lactate in differential diagnosis of acute appendicitis,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 218–223, 2010.
- H. S. Kavakli, N. D. Altintas, Y. Cevik, S. Becel, and F. Tanriverdi, “Diagnostic value of lactate levels in acute appendicitis,” Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 913–915, 2010.