- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 868964, 7 pages
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Recent Concepts in Genomics, Pathogenetic Mechanisms, and Therapies
Department of Pediatrics, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry 605006, India
Received 20 July 2011; Accepted 17 August 2011
Academic Editors: A. Bondanza, A. Rebollo, and B. Stijlemans
Copyright © 2011 Sriram Krishnamurthy and Subramanian Mahadevan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. P. D'Cruz, M. A. Khamashta, and G. R. Hughes, “Systemic lupus erythematosus,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9561, pp. 587–596, 2007.
- R. A. Mageed and G. J. Prud'homme, “Immunopathology and the gene therapy of lupus,” Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 861–874, 2003.
- H. S. Lee and S. C. Bae, “What can we learn from genetic studies of systemic lupus erythematosus? Implications of genetic heterogeneity among populations in SLE,” Lupus, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1452–1459, 2010.
- K. L. Hardgrave, B. R. Neas, R. H. Scofield, and J. B. Harley, “Antibodies to vesicular stomatitis virus proteins in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and in normal subjects,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 962–970, 1993.
- D. Deapen, A. Escalante, L. Weinrib et al., “A revised estimate of twin concordance in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 311–318, 1992.
- M. L. Snaith and D. A. Isenberg, “Systemic lupus erythematosus,” in Oxford Textbook of Medicine, D. J. Weatherall, J. G. G. Ledingham, and D. A. Warrell, Eds., pp. 3017–3026, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1996.
- M. Goto, K. Tanimoto, and Y. Horiuchi, “Natural cell mediated cytotoxicity in systemic lupus erythematosus. Suppression by antilymphocyte antibody,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1274–1281, 1980.
- M. Linker-Israeli, F. P. Quismorio Jr., and D. A. Horwitz, “CD8+ lymphocytes from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus sustain, rather than suppress, spontaneous polyclonal IgG production and synergize with CD4+ cells to support autoantibody synthesis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1216–1225, 1990.
- K. Ohtsuka, J. D. Gray, M. M. Stimmler, B. Toro, and D. A. Horwitz, “Decreased production of TGF- by lymphocytes from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 160, no. 5, pp. 2539–2545, 1998.
- J. D. Gray, M. Hirokawa, K. Ohtsuka, and D. A. Horwitz, “Generation of an inhibitory circuit involving CD8+ T cells, IL-2, and NK cell-derived TGF-: contrasting effects of anti-CD2 and anti-CD3,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 160, no. 5, pp. 2248–2254, 1998.
- L. J. Mason and D. A. Isenberg, “Immunopathogenesis of SLE,” Bailliere's Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 385–403, 1998.
- A. E. Traynor, J. Schroeder, R. M. Rosa et al., “Treatment of severe systemic lupus erythematosus with high-dose chemotherapy haemopoietic stem-cell transplantation: a phase I study,” The Lancet, vol. 356, no. 9231, pp. 701–707, 2000.
- M. Pavlovic, A. Kats, M. Cavallo, R. Chen, J. X. Hartmann, and Y. Shoenfeld, “Pathogenic and epiphenomenal anti-DNA antibodies in SLE,” Autoimmune Diseases, vol. 2010, Article ID 462841, pp. 1–19, 2010.
- S. Patra, S. Krishnamurthy, A. Seth, S. Beri, and S. Aneja, “Bilateral optic neuritis in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 234–236, 2011.
- G. J. Prud'Homme, D. H. Kono, and A. N. Theofilopoulos, “Quantitative polymerase chain reaction analysis reveals marked overexpression of interleukin-1 interleukin-10 and interferon- mRNA in the lymph nodes of lupus-prone mice,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 495–503, 1995.
- T. B. Niewold, J. Hua, T. J. A. Lehman, J. B. Harley, and M. K. Crow, “High serum IFN-α activity is a heritable risk factor for systemic lupus erythematosus,” Genes and Immunity, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 492–502, 2007.
- L. Rönnblom, G. V. Alm, and M. L. Eloranta, “Type I interferon and lupus,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 471–477, 2009.
- W. B. Graninger, W. Hassfeld, B. B. Pesau, K. P. Machold, C. C. Zielinski, and J. S. Smolen, “Induction of systemic lupus erythematosus by interferon- in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1621–1622, 1991.
- M. J. Walport, “Complement and systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis Research, vol. 4, supplement 3, pp. S279–S293, 2002.
- X. Wu, N. Jiang, C. Deppong et al., “A role for the Cr2 gene in modifying autoantibody production in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 1587–1592, 2002.
- J. E. Salmon, S. Millard, L. A. Schachter et al., “Fc RIIA alleles are heritable risk factors for lupus nephritis in African Americans,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 1348–1354, 1996.
- P. Kraft and D. J. Hunter, “Genetic risk prediction—are we there yet?” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 17, pp. 1701–1703, 2009.
- R. M. Plenge, “Recent progress in rheumatoid arthritis genetics: one step towards improved patient care,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 262–271, 2009.
- Y. J. Yuan, X. B. Luo, and N. Shen, “Current advances in lupus genetic and genomic studies in Asia,” Lupus, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1374–1383, 2010.
- L. S. Teh, D. G. Doherty, and R. D. Williams, “HLA-DRB genes and antiribosomal P antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1125–1126, 1994.
- K. L. Moser, J. A. Kelly, C. J. Lessard, and J. B. Harley, “Recent insights into the genetic basis of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Genes and Immunity, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 373–379, 2009.
- L. Morel, “Genetics of human lupus nephritis,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2007.
- D. R. Patel and B. C. Richardson, “Epigenetic mechanisms in lupus,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 478–482, 2010.
- K. Tullus, “New developments in the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Pediatric Nephrology. In press.
- J. T. Merrill, C. M. Neuwelt, D. J. Wallace et al., “Efficacy and safety of rituximab in moderately-to-severely active systemic lupus erythematosus: the randomized, double-blind, phase II/III systemic lupus erythematosus evaluation of rituximab trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 222–233, 2010.
- G. Chetan, S. Mahadevan, K. Sulanthung, and P. Narayanan, “Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy of lupus pneumonitis,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 74, no. 11, pp. 1032–1033, 2007.
- Y. Sherer, S. Kuechler, J. J. Scali et al., “Low dose intravenous immunoglobulin in systemic lupus erythematosus: analysis of 62 cases,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 55–57, 2008.