- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Vascular Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 876864, 8 pages
Heart Rate Variability in HIV Patients, Diabetics, and Controls: The AGATAA Study
1School of Medicine, University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Hospital Universitario, University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Instituto de Infectologia Emílio Ribas, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
4Federal University of Espírito Santo, Vitória, ES, Brazil
Received 31 March 2011; Accepted 21 May 2011
Academic Editors: B. Hambly and P. Schoenhagen
Copyright © 2011 Isabela M. Benseñor et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. F. Currie, A. J. Jacob, A. R. Foreman, R. A. Elton, R. P. Brettle, and N. A. Boon, “Heart muscle disease related to HIV infection: prognostic implications,” British Medical Journal, vol. 309, no. 6969, pp. 1605–1607, 1994.
- G. Barbaro, “HIV-Associated Myocarditis,” Heart Failure Clinics, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 439–448, 2005.
- B. M. Mayosi, C. S. Wiysonge, M. Ntsekhe et al., “Clinical characteristics and initial management of patients with tuberculous pericarditis in the HIV era: the Investigation of the Management of Pericarditis in Africa (IMPI Africa) registry,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 6, article 2, 2006.
- G. Barbaro and S. E. Lipshultz, “Pathogenesis of HIV-associated cardiomyopathy,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 946, pp. 57–81, 2001.
- K. A. Gebo, M. D. Burkey, G. M. Lucas, R. D. Moore, and L. E. Wilson, “Incidence of, risk factors for, clinical presentation, and 1-year outcomes of infective endocarditis in an urban HIV cohort,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 426–432, 2006.
- N. Reinsch, C. Buhr, P. Krings et al., “Prevalence and risk factors of prolonged QTc interval in HIV-infected patients: results of the HIV-HEART study,” HIV Clinical Trials, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 261–268, 2009.
- M. U. Sani and B. N. Okeahialam, “QTc interval prolongation in patients with HIV and AIDS,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 1657–1661, 2005.
- N. J. Mehta, I. A. Khan, R. N. Mehta, and R. M. Gowda, “Acute coronary syndrome in patients with human immunodeficiency virus disease,” Angiology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 545–549, 2002.
- L. A. Kingsley, J. Cuervo-Rojas, A. Muñoz et al., “Subclinical coronary atherosclerosis, HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy: multicenter AIDS Cohort Study,” AIDS, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1589–1599, 2008.
- R. G. Micheletti, G. A. Fishbein, M. C. Fishbein et al., “Coronary atherosclerotic lesions in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: a histopathologic study,” Cardiovascular Pathology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2009.
- J. A. Cohen and M. Laudenslager, “Autonomic nervous system in involvement in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Neurology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1111–1112, 1989.
- R. Freeman, M. S. Roberts, L. S. Friedman, and C. Broadbridge, “Autonomic function and human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Neurology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 575–580, 1990.
- S. Ruttimann, P. Hilti, G. A. Spinas, and U. C. Dubach, “High frequency of human immunodeficiency virus-associated autonomic neuropathy and more severe involvement in advanced stages of human immunodeficiency virus disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 12, pp. 2441–2443, 1991.
- S. B. Welby, S. J. Rogerson, and N. J. Beeching, “Autonomic neuropathy is common in human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Journal of Infection, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 123–128, 1991.
- A. Villa, V. Foresti, and F. Confalonieri, “Autonomic neuropathy and prolongation of QT interval in human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Clinical Autonomic Research, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 48–52, 1995.
- G. Scott, A. Piaggesi, and D. J. Ewing, “Sequential autonomic function tests in HIV infection,” AIDS, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1279–1281, 1990.
- K. Becker, I. Görlach, T. Frieling, and D. Häussinger, “Characterization and natural course of cardiac autonomic nervous dysfunction in HIV-infected patients,” AIDS, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 751–757, 1997.
- K. E. Rogstad, R. Shah, G. Tesfaladet, M. Abdullah, and I. Ahmed-Jushuf, “Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in HIV infected patients,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 264–267, 1999.
- P. J. Neild, A. Amadi, P. Ponikowski, A. J. Coats, and B. G. Gazzard, “Cardiac autonomic dysfunction in AIDS is not secondary to heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 74, no. 2-3, pp. 133–137, 2000.
- K. A. Brownley, J. R. Milanovich, S. J. Motivala et al., “Autonomic and cardiovascular function in HIV spectrum disease: early indications of cardiac pathophysiology,” Clinical Autonomic Research, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 319–326, 2001.
- D. Nzuobontane, B. K. Ngu, and K. Christopher, “Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in Africans infected with human immunodeficiency virus,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 445–447, 2002.
- C. M. Mittal, N. Wig, S. Mishra, and K. K. Deepak, “Heart rate variability in human immunodeficiency virus-positive individuals,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2004.
- D. C. Chow, R. Wood, A. Grandinetti, C. Shikuma, I. Schatz, and P. Low, “Cardiovagal autonomic dysfunction in relation to HIV-associated lipodystrophy,” HIV Clinical Trials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 16–23, 2006.
- A. Sakhuja, A. Goyal, A. K. Jaryal et al., “Heart rate variability and autonomic function tests in HIV positive individuals in India,” Clinical Autonomic Research, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 193–196, 2007.
- C. Compostella, L. Compostella, and R. D'Elia, “Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in HIV-positive African patients,” Minerva Cardioangiologica, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 417–428, 2008.
- D. Correia, L. A. P. Rodrigues De Resende, R. J. Molina et al., “Power spectral analysis of heart rate variability in HIV-infected and AIDS patients,” PACE—Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2006.
- WHO Expert Committee, “Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry,” Technical Report Serie 1995.
- J. C. Seidell, H. S. Kahn, D. F. Williamson, L. Lissner, and R. Valdez, “Report from a centers for disease control and prevention workshop on use of adult anthropometry for public health and primary health care,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 123–126, 2001.
- M. Malik, A. J. Camm, J. T. Bigger Jr. et al., “Heart rate variability. Standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use,” European Heart Journal, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 354–381, 1996.
- A. Boardman, F. S. Schlinwein, A. P. Rocha, and A. Leite, “A study on the optimum order of autoregressive models for heart rate variability. Matlab-customized software developed in our laboratory was used in the temporal and spectral analysis,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 23, pp. 325–326, 2002.
- “Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 7),” http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/.
- American Diabetes Association, “Standards of medical care in diabetes—2007,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, supplement 1, pp. S4–S41, 2007.
- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III), “Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report,” Circulation, vol. 106, pp. 3143–3421, 2002.
- R. E. Maser and M. J. Lenhard, “REVIEW: cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy due to diabetes mellitus: clinical manifestations, consequences, and treatment,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 5896–5903, 2005.
- M. D. Rollins, J. G. Jenkins, D. J. Carson, B. G. McClure, R. H. Mitchell, and S. Z. Imam, “Power spectral analysis of the electrocardiogram in diabetic children,” Diabetologia, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 452–455, 1992.
- K. Javorka, J. Javorková, M. Petrášková, I. Tonhajzerová, J. Buchanec, and O. Chromá, “Heart rate variability and cardiovascular tests in young patients with diabetes mellitus type 1,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 423–431, 1999.
- M. Javorka, I. Žila, T. Balhárek, and K. Javorka, “Heart rate recovery after exercise: relations to heart rate variability and coplexity,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 991–1000, 2002.
- J. Gerritsen, J. M. Dekker, B. J. TenVoorde et al., “Glucose tolerance and other determinants of cardiovascular autonomic function: the Hoorn Study,” Diabetologia, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 561–570, 2000.
- D. Liao, J. Cai, F. L. Brancati et al., “Association of vagal tone with serum insulin, glucose, and diabetes mellitus—the ARIC study,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 211–221, 1995.
- J. P. Singh, M. G. Larson, C. J. O'Donnell et al., “Association of hyperglycemia with reduced heart rate variability (The Framingham Heart Study),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 309–312, 2000.
- R. Lampert, J. D. Bremner, S. Su et al., “Decreased heart rate variability is associated with higher levels of inflammation in middle-aged men,” American Heart Journal, vol. 156, no. 4, pp. 759.e1–759.e7, 2008.