- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 901416, 8 pages
Recommendations for Diagnosis and Management of Osteoporosis in COPD Men
1Department of Internal Medicine, Naval Hospital of Crete, Chania, 73 200 Crete, Greece
2Department of Internal Medicine, Patras University Hospital, 26500 Rion-Patras, Greece
Received 28 April 2011; Accepted 21 June 2011
Academic Editor: L. Gennari
Copyright © 2011 Elias E. Mazokopakis and Ioannis K. Starakis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Langhammer, S. Forsmo, and U. Syversen, “Long-term therapy in COPD: any evidence of adverse effect on bone?” International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, vol. 4, pp. 365–380, 2009.
- A. A. Khan, A. B. Hodsman, A. Papaioannou, D. Kendler, J. P. Brown, and W. P. Olszynski, “Management of osteoporosis in men: an update and case example,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 345–348, 2007.
- L. Graat-Verboom, E. F. M. Wouters, F. W. J. M. Smeen, B. E. E. M. Van Den Borne, R. Lunde, and M. A. Spruit, “Current status of research on osteoporosis in COPD: a systematic review,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 209–218, 2009.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD), “Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” updated 2009, http://www.goldCOPD.com.
- J. D. Ringe, H. Faber, P. Farahmand, and A. Dorst, “Efficacy of risedronate in men with primary and secondary osteoporosis: results of a 1-year study,” Rheumatology International, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 427–431, 2006.
- P. R. Ebeling, “Osteoporosis in men,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 14, pp. 1474–1482, 2008.
- H. X. Jiang, S. R. Majumdar, D. A. Dick et al., “Development and initial validation of a risk score for predicting in-hospital and 1-year mortality in patients with hip fractures,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 494–500, 2005.
- T. T. Dam, S. Harrison, H. A. Fink, J. Ramsdell, and E. Barrett-Connor, “Bone mineral density and fractures in older men with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1341–1349, 2010.
- N. R. Jørgensen and P. Schwarz, “Osteoporosis in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients,” Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 122–127, 2008.
- A. Lehouck, S. Boonen, M. Decramer, and W. Janssens, “COPD, bone metabolism, and osteoporosis,” Chest, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 648–657, 2011.
- S. C. Manolagas and R. S. Weinstein, “New developments in the pathogenesis and treatment of steroid-induced osteoporosis,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1061–1066, 1999.
- K. F. Rabe, S. Hurd, A. Anzueto et al., “Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 176, no. 6, pp. 532–555, 2007.
- C. A. M. Kulak, V. C. Borba, V. Jorgetti et al., “Skeletal microstructural abnormalities in postmenopausal women with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1931–1940, 2010.
- C. de Luise, M. Brimacombe, L. Pedersen, and H. T. Sørensen, “Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and mortality following hip fracture: a population-based cohort study,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 2008.
- A. J. Shepherd, A. R. Cass, C. A. Carlson, and L. Ray, “Development and internal validation of the male osteoporosis risk estimation score,” Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 540–546, 2007.
- A. Qaseem, V. Snow, P. Shekelle, R. M. Hopkins Jr., A. Forciea, and D. K. Owens, “Screening for osteoporosis, screening for osteoporosis in men: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 9, pp. 680–684, 2008.
- L. Graat-Verboom, M. A. Spruit, B. E. E. M. van denBorne, F. W. J. M. Smeenk, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Whole-body versus local DXA-scan for the diagnosis of osteoporosis in COPD patients,” Journal of Osteoporosis, vol. 2010, Article ID 640878, 2010.
- L. Gennari and J. P. Bilezikian, “Osteoporosis in men,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 399–419, 2007.
- P. Gardsell, O. Johnell, and B. E. Nilsson, “The predictive value of forearm bone mineral content measurements in men,” Bone, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 229–232, 1990.
- S. R. Cummings, P. M. Cawthon, K. E. Ensrud, J. A. Cauley, H. A. Fink, and E. S. Orwoll, “BMD and risk of hip and nonvertebral fractures in older men: a prospective study and comparison with older women,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1550–1556, 2006.
- J. A. Kanis, E. V. McCloskey, H. Johansson, A. Oden, L. J. Melton III, and N. Khaltaev, “A reference standard for the description of osteoporosis,” Bone, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 467–475, 2008.
- “Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Report of a WHO Study Group, 1994, World Health Organization Technical Report Series.
- J. A. Kanis, “Osteoporosis III: diagnosis of osteoporosis and assessment of fracture risk,” Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9321, pp. 1929–1936, 2002.
- J. P. W. Van Den Bergh, T. A. C. M. Van Geel, W. F. Lems, and P. P. Geusens, “Assessment of individual fracture risk: FRAX and beyond,” Current Osteoporosis Reports, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 131–137, 2010.
- J. A. Kanis, O. Johnell, A. Oden, H. Johansson, and E. McCloskey, “FRAX and the assessment of fracture probability in men and women from the UK,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 385–397, 2008.
- S. L. Silverman and A. D. Calderon, “The utility and limitations of FRAX: a US perspective,” Current Osteoporosis Reports, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 192–197, 2010.
- S. P. Tuck and H. K. Datta, “Osteoporosis in the aging male: treatment options,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 521–536, 2007.
- W. Janssens, A. Lehouck, C. Carremans, R. Bouillon, C. Mathieu, and M. Decramer, “Vitamin D beyond bones in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: time to act,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 179, no. 8, pp. 630–636, 2009.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation, Clinician's Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis, National Osteoporosis Foundation, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- R. Bobba and J. D. Adachi, “Review of the safety and efficacy of risedronate for the treatment of male osteoporosis,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 275–282, 2007.
- J. D. Ringe, P. Farahmand, H. Faber, and A. Dorst, “Sustained efficacy of risedronate in men with primary and secondary osteoporosis: results of a 2-year study,” Rheumatology International, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 311–315, 2009.
- J. D. Ringe, “Osteoporosis in men,” Medicographia, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 2010.
- L. I. Plotkin, J. I. Aguirre, S. Kousteni, S. C. Manolagas, and T. Bellido, “Bisphosphonates and estrogens inhibit osteocyte apoptosis via distinct molecular mechanisms downstream of extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 8, pp. 7317–7325, 2005.
- J. P. Devogelaer, S. Goemaere, S. Boonen et al., “Evidence-based guidelines for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: a consensus document of the Belgian Bone Club,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 8–19, 2006.
- J. Compston, “US and UK guidelines for glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: similarities and differences,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 66–69, 2004.
- P. Vestergaard, L. Rejnmark, and L. Mosekilde, “Fracture risk associated with different types of oral corticosteroids and effect of termination of corticosteroids on the risk of fractures,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 249–257, 2008.
- K. G. Saag, E. Shane, S. Boonen et al., “Teriparatide or alendronate in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 20, pp. 2028–2039, 2007.
- J. M. Kaufman, E. Orwoll, S. Goemaere et al., “Teriparatide effects on vertebral fractures and bone mineral density in men with osteoporosis: treatment and discontinuation of therapy,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 510–516, 2005.