- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Vascular Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 912820, 9 pages
Aspirin in Neurology
1Instituto Nacional de Neurología y Neurocirugía Manuel Velasco Suárez, Insurgentes Sur 3877, Colonia la Fama, 14269 México, DF, Mexico
2Hospital Angeles Pedregal-Hospital Angeles México, Camino a Santa Teresa 1055, Col. Héroes de Padierna, 10700 México, DF, Mexico
Received 23 September 2011; Accepted 25 October 2011
Academic Editors: J. Jolkkonen, V. Larrue, and P. Tyrrell
Copyright © 2011 Yolanda Aburto-Murrieta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. D. Lopez, C. D. Mathers, M. Ezzati, D. T. Jamison, and C. J. Murray, “Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: systematic analysis of population health data,” The Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9524, pp. 1747–1757, 2006.
- P. M. Rothwell, A. J. Coull, L. E. Silver et al., “Population-based study of event-rate, incidence, case fatality, and mortality for all acute vascular events in all arterial territories (Oxford Vascular Study),” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9499, pp. 1773–1783, 2005.
- G. J. Hankey and C. P. Warlow, “Treatment and secondary prevention of stroke: evidence, costs, and effects on individuals and populations,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9188, pp. 1457–1463, 1999.
- M. C. Roncaglioni, “Low-dose aspirin and vitamin E in people at cardiovascular risk: a randomised trial in general practice,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9250, pp. 89–95, 2001.
- A. A. Bartolucci and G. Howard, “Meta-analysis of data from the six primary prevention trials of cardiovascular events using aspirin,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 746–750, 2006.
- P. M. Ridker, N. R. Cook, I. M. Lee et al., “A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in women,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 13, pp. 1293–1304, 2005.
- D. C. Felmeden and G. Y. H. Lip, “Antithrombotic therapy in hypertension: a cochrane systematic review,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 185–196, 2005.
- S. Engelter and P. Lyrer, “Antiplatelet therapy for preventing stroke and other vascular events after carotid endarterectomy,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD001458, 2003.
- D. L. Bhatt, K. A. A. Fox, W. Hacke et al., “Clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone for the prevention of atherothrombotic events,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 16, pp. 1706–1717, 2006.
- The European Stroke Organisation (ESO) Executive Committee and The ESO Writing Committee, “Guidelines for management of ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack 2008,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 25, pp. 457–507, 2008.
- H. P. Adams Jr., B. H. Bendixen, L. J. Kappelle et al., “Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke: definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1993.
- S. C. Kunitz, C. R. Gross, and A. Heyman, “The pilot stroke data bank: definition, design, and data,” Stroke, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 740–746, 1984.
- A. J. Grau, C. Weimar, F. Buggle et al., “Risk factors, outcome, and treatment in subtypes of ischemic stroke: the German stroke data bank,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 2559–2566, 2001.
- J. K. Lovett, A. J. Coull, and P. M. Rothwell, “Early risk of recurrence by subtype of ischemic stroke in population-based incidence studies,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 569–573, 2004.
- G. W. Petty, R. D. Brown Jr., J. P. Whisnant, J. D. Sicks, W. M. O'Fallon, and D. O. Wiebers, “Ischemic stroke subtypes: a population-based study of incidence and risk factors,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2513–2516, 1999.
- “Collaborative meta-analysis of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy for prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high risk patients,” British Medical Journal, vol. 324, no. 7329, pp. 71–86, 2002.
- M. I. Chimowitz, M. J. Lynn, H. Howlett-Smith et al., “Comparison of warfarin and aspirin for symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 13, pp. 1305–1316, 2005.
- G. W. Petty, R. D. Brown Jr., J. P. Whisnant, J. D. Sicks, W. M. O'Fallon, and D. O. Wiebers, “Ischemic stroke subtypes: a population-based study of functional outcome, survival, and recurrence,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1062–1068, 2000.
- G. de Jong, L. van Raak, F. Kessels, and J. Lodder, “Stroke subtype and mortality: a follow-up study in 998 patients with a first cerebral infarct,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 262–268, 2003.
- O. R. Benavente, C. L. White, L. Pearce et al., “The Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3) study,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 164–175, 2011.
- R. G. Hart, L. A. Pearce, and M. I. Aguilar, “Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 12, pp. 857–867, 2007.
- V. Fuster, L. E. Rydén, R. W. Asinger et al., “ACC/AHA/ESC guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines and Policy Conferences (Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation) Developed in collaboration with the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 17, pp. 2118–2150, 2001.
- “Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the Atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel Trial with Irbesartan for prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 367, pp. 1903–1912, 2006.
- P. Lyrer and S. Engelter, “Antithrombotic drugs for carotid artery dissection,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD000255, 2010.
- G. W. Petty, B. K. Khandheria, I. Meissner et al., “Population-based study of the relationship between patent foramen ovale and cerebrovascular ischemic events,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 602–608, 2006.
- G. Steg, D. L. Bhatt, P. W. F. Wilson et al., “One-year cardiovascular event rates in outpatients with atherothrombosis,” JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 11, pp. 1197–1206, 2007.
- K. S. Virtanen, S. Mattila, A. Jarvinen, and M. H. Frick, “Angiographic findings in patients exhibiting ischemia after oral dipyridamole,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 1989.
- “A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE),” The Lancet, vol. 348, no. 9038, pp. 1329–1339, 1996.
- R. J. Adams, G. Albers, M. J. Alberts et al., “Update to the AHA/ASA recommendations for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1647–1652, 2008.
- H. C. Diener, L. Cunha, C. Forbes, J. Sivenius, P. Smets, and A. Lowenthal, “European stroke prevention study 2. Dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 143, no. 1-2, pp. 1–13, 1996.
- “Aspirin plus dipyridamole versus aspirin alone after cerebral ischaemia of arterial origin (ESPRIT): randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 367, pp. 1665–1673, 2006.
- P. H. C. Diener, P. J. Bogousslavsky, P. L. M. Brass et al., “Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9431, pp. 331–337, 2004.
- H. C. Diener, L. Cunha, C. Forbes, J. Sivenius, P. Smets, and A. Lowenthal, “European stroke prevention study 2: dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 143, pp. 1–13, 1996.
- “Persantine aspirin trial in cerebral ischemia. Part II: endpoint results. The American-Canadian co-operative study group,” Stroke, vol. 16, pp. 406–415, 1985.
- M. G. Bousser, E. Eschwege, and M. Haguenau, “‘AICLA’ controlled trial of aspirin and dipyridamole in the secondary prevention of athero-thrombotic cerebral ischemia,” Stroke, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 5–14, 1983.
- The Salt Collaborative Group, “Swedish Aspirin Low-dose Trial (SALT) of 75 mg aspirin as secondary prophylaxis after cerebrovascular ischaemic events,” The Lancet, vol. 338, no. 8779, pp. 1345–1349, 1991.
- K. Matsumoto, H. Masaki, M. Hirai, H. Tsujino, N. Hashimoto, and K. Mineura, “Combined surgical and intraoperative endovascular approach for a giant internal carotid artery aneurysm in the high cervical region,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 112–113, 2002.
- E. L. De Schryver, A. Algra, and J. van Gijn, “Dipyridamole for preventing stroke and other vascular events in patients with vascular disease,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD001820, 2007.
- K. R. Lees, “Profess,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 5, p. 1941, 2009.
- L. A. Harker, J.-P. Boissel, A. J. Pilgrim, and M. Gent, “Comparative safety and tolerability of clopidogrel and aspirin: results from CAPRIE. CAPRIE Steering Committee and Investigators. Clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events,” Drug Safety, vol. 21, pp. 325–335, 1999.
- D. L. Bhatt, M. D. Flather, W. Hacke et al., “Patients with prior myocardial infarction, stroke, or symptomatic peripheral arterial disease in the CHARISMA trial,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 49, no. 19, pp. 1982–1988, 2007.