- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 949686, 7 pages
An Open-Label Pilot Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Virgin Coconut Oil in Reducing Visceral Adiposity
1Healthy Lifestyle Cluster, Advanced Medical and Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang 11800, Malaysia
2Department of Medicine, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan 16150, Malaysia
3Department of Sport Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan 16150, Malaysia
4Department of Pharmacology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan 16150, Malaysia
Received 11 December 2010; Accepted 19 January 2011
Academic Editors: O. Badary, P. Cos, T. B. Vree, and T. W. Stone
Copyright © 2011 Kai Ming Liau et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Rampal, S. Rampal, G. L. Khor et al., “A national study on the prevalence of obesity among 16,127 Malaysians,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 561–566, 2007.
- W. Chen, S. R. Srinivasan, A. Elkasabany, and G. S. Berenson, “Cardiovascular risk factors clustering features of insulin resistance syndrome (Syndrome X) in a biracial (Black-White) population of children, adolescents, and young adults: the Bogalusa Heart Study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 150, no. 7, pp. 667–674, 1999.
- M. Gupta, N. Singh, and S. Verma, “South Asians and cardiovascular risk: what clinicians should know,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 25, pp. e924–e929, 2006.
- I. Janssen, S. B. Heymsfield, D. B. Allison, D. P. Kotler, and R. Ross, “Body mass index and waist circumference independently contribute to the prediction of nonabdominal, abdominal subcutaneous, and visceral fat,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 683–688, 2002.
- D. C. Chan, G. F. Watts, P. H. R. Barrett, and V. Burke, “Waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio and body mass index as predictors of adipose tissue compartments in men,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 441–447, 2003.
- S. Lee, J. L. Kuk, T. S. Hannon, and S. A. Arslanian, “Race and gender differences in the relationships between anthropometrics and abdominal fat in youth,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1066–1071, 2008.
- S. A. Hashim, S. S. Bergen, K. Krell, and T. B. van Itallie, “Intestinal absorption and mode of transport in portal vein of medium chain fatty acids,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, article 1238, 1964.
- J. R. Han, B. Deng, J. Sun et al., “Effects of dietary medium-chain triglyceride on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in a group of moderately overweight free-living type 2 diabetic Chinese subjects,” Metabolism, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 985–991, 2007.
- M. L. Assunção, H. S. Ferreira, A. F. Dos Santos, C. R. Cabral Jr., and T. M. M. T. Florêncio, “Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity,” Lipids, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 593–601, 2009.
- I. A. Prior, F. Davidson, C. E. Salmond, and Z. Czochanska, “Cholesterol, coconuts, and diet on Polynesian atolls: a natural experiment: the Pukapuka and Tokelau Island studies,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1552–1561, 1981.
- N. I. Lipoeto, Z. Agus, F. Oenzil, M. L. Wahlqvist, and N. Wattanapenpaiboon, “Dietary intake and the risk of coronary heart disease among the coconut-consuming Minangkabau in West Sumatra, Indonesia,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 377–384, 2004.
- “The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment,” International Diabetes Institute, World Health Organization,17–20, 2000.
- R. G. Jensen, “Lipids in human milk,” Lipids, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1243–1271, 1999.
- N. M. de Roos, E. G. Schouten, and M. B. Katan, “Human nutrition and metabolism: consumption of a solid fat rich in lauric acid results in a more favorable serum lipid profile in healthy men and women than consumption of a solid fat rich in trans-fatty acids,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 242–245, 2001.
- P. Corpuz, “Philippine oilseeds and products annual. Global agricultural information network,” USDA Foreign Agricultural Service, 2004.
- Bureau of Product Standards. Philippine National Standards: Virgin coconut oil, Department of Trade and Industry, Philippines, 2004.
- S. A. Lear, K. H. Humphries, S. Kohli, and C. L. Birmingham, “The use of BMI and waist circumference as surrogates of body fat differs by ethnicity,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2817–2824, 2007.
- G. Egger, A. Bolton, M. O'Neill, and D. Freeman, “Effectiveness of an abdominal obesity reduction programme in men: the GutBuster 'waist loss' programme,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 227–231, 1996.
- E. Colman, L. I. Katzel, E. Rogus, P. Coon, D. Muller, and A. P. Goldberg, “Weight loss reduces abdominal fat and improves insulin action in middle- aged and older men with impaired glucose tolerance,” Metabolism, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 1502–1508, 1995.
- K. G. Nevin and T. Rajamohan, “Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 830–835, 2004.
- M. van Heek and D. B. Zilversmit, “Evidence for an inverse relation between plasma triglyceride and aortic cholesterol in the coconut oil/cholesterol-fed rabbit,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 71, no. 2-3, pp. 185–192, 1988.
- P. Farajian, E. Renti, and Y. Manios, “Obesity indices in relation to cardiovascular disease risk factors among young adult female students,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 918–924, 2008.
- M.-P. St-Onge, C. Bourque, P. J. H. Jones, R. Ross, and W. E. Parsons, “Medium- versus long-chain triglycerides for 27 days increases fat oxidation and energy expenditure without resulting in changes in body composition in overweight women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 95–102, 2003.
- R. Leenen, K. van der Kooy, J. C. Seidell, P. Deurenberg, and H. P. F. Koppeschaar, “Visceral fat accumulation in relation to sex hormones in obese men and women undergoing weight loss therapy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 1515–1520, 1994.
- M. Nandakumaran, H. Al-Sarraf, R. Al-Fadhli, M. Al-Shammari, J. Al-Harmi, and E. Al-Saleh, “Effect of oral administration of coconut oil on haematological and metabolic parameters in female adult rats,” Nutritional Therapy & Metabolism, vol. 27, pp. 183–188, 2009.