- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 103714, 7 pages
Quick and Simple Evaluation of Sudomotor Function for Screening of Diabetic Neuropathy
1Diabetes Unit, King Edward Memorial Hospital Research Centre, Rasta Peth, Maharashtra 411011, Pune, India
Received 28 March 2012; Accepted 28 April 2012
Academic Editors: E. Hajduch and J. Nedvídková
Copyright © 2012 Chittaranjan S. Yajnik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Eastman, “Neuropathy in diabetes,” in Diabetes in America, M. I. Harris, Ed., pp. 339–360, National Diabetes Information, Clearinghouse, 2nd edition, 1995.
- N. Papanas and D. Ziegler, “New diagnostic tests for diabetic distal symmetric polyneuropathy,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2011.
- S. G. Bruce and T. K. Young, “Prevalence and risk factors for neuropathy in a canadian first nation community,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1837–1841, 2008.
- A. I. Vinik, R. E. Maser, B. D. Mitchell, and R. Freeman, “Diabetic autonomic neuropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1553–1579, 2003.
- R. Pop-Busui, “Cardiac autonomic neuropathy in diabetes: a clinical perspective,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 434–441, 2010.
- C. J. Sumner, S. Sheth, J. W. Griffin, D. R. Cornblath, and M. Polydefkis, “The spectrum of neuropathy in diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 108–111, 2003.
- S. Tesfaye, A. J. M. Boulton, P. J. Dyck et al., “Diabetic neuropathies: update on definitions, diagnostic criteria, estimation of severity, and treatments,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2285–2293, 2010.
- P. A. Low, “Evaluation of sudomotor function,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 1506–1513, 2004.
- D. Ziegler, N. Papanas, and M. Roden, “for the GDC study groupNeuropad: evaluation of three cut-off points of sudomotor dysfunction for early detection of polyneuropathy in recently diagnosed diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1464–5491, 2011.
- C. Quattrini, M. Jeziorska, M. Tavakoli, P. Begum, A. J. M. Boulton, and R. A. Malik, “The Neuropad test: a visual indicator test for human diabetic neuropathy,” Diabetologia, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1046–1050, 2008.
- H. Mayaudon, P. O. Miloche, and B. Bauduceau, “A new simple method for assessing sudomotor function: relevance in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 450–454, 2010.
- B. M. W. Illigens and C. H. Gibbons, “Sweat testing to evaluate autonomic function,” Clinical Autonomic Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 79–87, 2009.
- J. D. England, G. S. Gronseth, G. Franklin et al., “Practice parameter: evaluation of distal symmetric polyneuropathy: role of autonomic testing, nerve biopsy, and skin biopsy (an evidence-based review),” Neurology, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 177–184, 2009.
- G. Lauria, M. Borgna, M. Morbin et al., “Tubule and neurofilament immunoreactivity in human hairy skin: markers for intraepidermal nerve fibers,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 310–316, 2004.
- G. Lauria, M. Bakkers, C. Schmitz et al., “Intraepidermal nerve fiber density at the distal leg: a worldwide normative reference study,” Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 202–207, 2010.
- M. Lunetta, R. Le Moli, G. Grasso, and L. Sangiorgio, “A simplified diagnostic test for ambulatory screening of peripheral diabetic neuropathy,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 165–172, 1998.
- International Diabetes Federation, Clinical Guidelines Task Force, Global guideline for type 2 diabetes, 2005.
- American Diabetes Association, “Standards of medical care in diabetes—2011,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, supplement 1, pp. S11–S61, 2011.
- D. J. Ewing and B. F. Clarke, “Diagnosis and management of diabetic autonomic neuropathy,” British Medical Journal, vol. 285, no. 6346, pp. 916–918, 1982.
- V. Bewick, L. Cheek, and J. Ball, “Statistics review 13: receiver operating characteristics curves,” Critical Care, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 508–512, 2004.
- H. Gin, R. Baudoin, C. H. Raffaitin, V. Rigalleau, and C. Gonzalez, “Non-invasive and quantitative assessment of sudomotor function for peripheral diabetic neuropathy evaluation,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 527–532, 2011.
- D. Hubert, P. Brunswick, J. H. Calvet, D. Dusser, and I. Fajac, “Abnormal electrochemical skin conductance in cystic fibrosis,” Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2011.
- A. Ramachandran, A. Moses, S. Shetty et al., “A new non-invasive technology to screen for dysglycaemia including diabetes.,” Diabetes research and clinical practice, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 302–306, 2010.
- American Diabetes Association and American Academy of Neurology, “Proceedings of a consensus development conference on standardized measures in diabetic neuropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1080–1107, 1992.