- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 123607, 7 pages
Disturbance of Opportunistic Small-Celled Phytoplankton in Lake Kinneret
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan 52900, Israel
Received 23 August 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editors: R. Dolferus, K. Pawlowski, and A. Singh
Copyright © 2012 Yury Kamenir and Zvy Dubinsky. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. Sheldon, A. Prakash, and W. H. Sutcliffe, “The size distribution of particles in the ocean,” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 17, pp. 327–340, 1972.
- S. R. Kerr and L. M. Dickie, The Biomass Spectrum: A Predator-Prey Theory of Aquatic Production, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- J. H. Brown, Macroecology, Chicago University, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1995.
- T. D. Havlicek and S. R. Carpenter, “Pelagic species size distributions in lakes: are they discontinuous?” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1021–1033, 2001.
- L. L. Chislenko, Structure of Fauna and Flora as Related to the Sizes of Organisms, Moscow University, Moscow, Ruissa, 1981.
- F. W. Preston, “The commonness, and rarity, of species,” Ecology, vol. 29, pp. 254–283, 1948.
- B. J. McGill, R. S. Etienne, J. S. Gray et al., “Species abundance distributions: moving beyond single prediction theories to integration within an ecological framework,” Ecology Letters, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 995–1015, 2007.
- Y. Kamenir, “Stability of Lake Kinneret phytoplankton structure as evidenced by several types of size spectra,” Fundamental and Applied Limnology, vol. 168, no. 4, pp. 345–354, 2007.
- Y. Kamenir, Z. Dubinsky, and T. Zohary, “Consistent annual patterns of water mass occupancy are revealed by taxonomic units of Lake Kinneret phytoplankton,” Israel Journal of Plant Sciences, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 91–101, 2008.
- R. Heerkloss and G. Klinkenberg, “A long-term series of a planktonic foodweb: a case of chaotic dynamics,” Internationale Vereinigung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie, vol. 26, pp. 1952–1956.
- J. Huisman and F. J. Weissing, “Fundamental unpredictability in multispecies competition,” American Naturalist, vol. 157, no. 5, pp. 488–494, 2001.
- M. Scheffer, S. Rinaldi, J. Huisman, and F. J. Weissing, “Why plankton communities have no equilibrium: solutions to the paradox,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 491, pp. 9–18, 2003.
- J. S. Gray, “Detecting pollution induced changes in communities using the log-normal distribution of individuals among species,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 173–176, 1981.
- K. I. Ugland, A. Bjørgesæter, T. Bakke, B. Fredheim, and J. S. Gray, “Assessment of environmental stress with a biological index based on opportunistic species,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 366, pp. 169–174, 2008.
- T. Zohary, “Changes to the phytoplankton assemblage of Lake Kinneret after decades of a predictable, repetitive pattern,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1355–1371, 2004.
- C. Serruya, Ed., The Kinneret. Monographia Biologica, Junk, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1978.
- T. Berman, L. Stone, Y. Z. Yacobi et al., “Primary production and phytoplankton in Lake Kinneret: a long-term record (1972–1993),” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1064–1076, 1995.
- P. H. A. Sneath and R. R. Sokal, Numerical Taxonomy, Freeman, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1973.