- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Renewable Energy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 130782, 10 pages
Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel Use in Two Off-Road Diesel Engines
1Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Kansas, 1530 W 15th Street, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
2Department of Physics and Astronomy, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
3Department of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, University of Kansas, 1530 W 15th Street, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
4Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas, 1530 W 15th Street, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Received 13 August 2012; Accepted 11 September 2012
Academic Editors: E. R. Bandala and O. Ozgener
Copyright © 2012 Jing Guo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Murugesan, C. Umarani, R. Subramanian, and N. Nedunchezhian, “Bio-diesel as an alternative fuel for diesel engines—a review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 653–662, 2009.
- A. C. Pinto, L. L. N. Guarieiro, M. J. C. Rezende et al., “Biodiesel: an overview,” Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 16, no. 6B, pp. 1313–1330, 2005.
- A. K. Agarwal, “Biofuels (alcohols and biodiesel) applications as fuels for internal combustion engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 233–271, 2007.
- G. Knothe, J. Van Garpen, and J. Krahl, The Biodiesel Handbook, AOCS Press, Champaign, , Ill, USA, 2005.
- N. M. Ribeiro, A. C. Pinto, C. M. Quintella et al., “The role of additives for diesel and diesel blended (ethanol or biodiesel) fuels: a review,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 2433–2445, 2007.
- M. Lapuerta, O. Armas, and J. Rodríguez-Fernández, “Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 198–223, 2008.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, “A comprehensive analysis of biodiesel impacts on exhaust emissions,” Tech. Rep. EPA 420-P-02-001, Assessment and Standard Division, Office of Transportation and Air Quality, USEPA, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
- Y. Zhang, M. A. Dubé, D. D. McLean, and M. Kates, “Biodiesel production from waste cooking oil: 2. Economic assessment and sensitivity analysis,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 229–240, 2003.
- A. Radich, “Biodiesel performance, costs and uses, EIA Analysis Report, Energy Information Agency,” US Department of Energy, http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/analysispaper/biodiesel/, 2004.
- V. E. Eidman, “Renewable liquid fuels: current situation and prospects,” Choices, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2006.
- A. Demirbas, “Relationships derived from physical properties of vegetable oil and biodiesel fuels,” Fuel, vol. 87, no. 8-9, pp. 1743–1748, 2008.
- M. Cetinkaya and F. Karaosmanoǧlu, “A new application area for used cooking oil originated biodiesel: generators,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 645–652, 2005.
- M. S. Graboski and R. L. McCormick, “Combustion of fat and vegetable oil derived fuels in diesel engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 125–164, 1998.
- T. Issariyakul, M. G. Kulkarni, A. K. Dalai, and N. N. Bakhshi, “Production of biodiesel from waste fryer grease using mixed methanol/ethanol system,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 429–436, 2007.
- M. Mittelbach and S. Gangl, “Long storage stability of biodiesel made from rapeseed and used frying oil,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 573–577, 2001.
- G. Knothe and K. R. Steidley, “A comparison of used cooking oils: a very heterogeneous feedstock for biodiesel,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 23, pp. 5796–5801, 2009.
- Z. Utlu and M. S. Koçak, “The effect of biodiesel fuel obtained from waste frying oil on direct injection diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions,” Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1936–1941, 2008.
- M. E. Gonzalez Gomez, R. Howard-Hildige, J. J. Leahy, T. O'Reilly, B. Supple, and M. Malone, “Emission and performance characteristics of a 2 litre Toyota diesel van operating on esterified waste cooking oil and mineral diesel fuel,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 13–20, 2000.
- M. S. Koçak, E. Ileri, and Z. Utlu, “Experimental study of emission parameters of biodiesel fuels obtained from canola, hazelnut, and waste cooking oils,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 3622–3626, 2007.
- M. P. Dorado, E. Ballesteros, J. M. Arnal, J. Gómez, and F. J. López, “Exhaust emissions from a diesel engine fueled with transesterified waste olive oil,” Fuel, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 1311–1315, 2003.
- Y. Di, C. S. Cheung, and Z. Huang, “Experimental investigation on regulated and unregulated emissions of a diesel engine fueled with ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel blended with biodiesel from waste cooking oil,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 407, no. 2, pp. 835–846, 2009.
- Y. F. Lin, Y. P. G. Wu, and C. T. Chang, “Combustion characteristics of waste-oil produced biodiesel/diesel fuel blends,” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 12-13, pp. 1772–1780, 2007.
- D. Y. C. Leung, “Development of a clean biodiesel fuel in Hong Kong using recycled oil,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 130, no. 1–4, pp. 277–282, 2001.
- C. S. Lee, S. W. Park, and S. I. Kwon, “An experimental study on the atomization and combustion characteristics of biodiesel-blended fuels,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 2201–2208, 2005.
- R. L. McCormick, M. S. Graboski, T. L. Alleman, A. M. Herring, and K. S. Tyson, “Impact of biodiesel source material and chemical structure on emissions of criteria pollutants from a heavy-duty engine,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1742–1747, 2001.
- P. Benjumea, J. R. Agudelo, and A. F. Agudelo, “Effect of the degree of unsaturation of biodiesel fuels on engine performance, combustion characteristics, and emissions,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2011.
- C. J. Mueller, A. L. Boehman, and G. C. Martin, “An experimental investigation of the origin of increased NOx emissions when fueling a heavy-duty compression-ignition engine with soy biodiesel,” SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 789–816, 2009.
- E. Cecrle, C. Depcik, A. Duncan et al., “Investigation of the effects of biodiesel feedstock on the performance and emissions of a single-cylinder diesel engine,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 2331–2341, 2012.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, “Control of Emissions of Air Pollution from Nonroad Diesel Engines: Final Rule,” 40 CFR Parts 9, 86 and 89. Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Register, 1996.
- N. Pekula, B. Kuritz, J. Hearne, A. J. Marchese, and R. P. Hesketh, “The effect of ambient temperature, humidity, and engine speed on idling emissions from heavy-duty diesel trucks,” SAE Paper 2003-01-0290, 2003.
- L. A. Graham, N. Muegge, J. Rostkowski, D. Ayyad, and D. Karman, “Development of real world representative test cycles and measured emission rates for selected off-road spark ignited engines,” SAE Paper 2006-32-0093, 2006.
- D. K. Carder, M. Gautam, G. J. Thompson, and R. A. Barnett, “Determination of in-use brake-specific emission from off-road equipment powered by mechanically controlled diesel engines,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1756, 2002.
- SEMTECH-DS User Manual, Revision 1. 11, Sensors, Saline, Mich, USA, 2006.
- A. Demirbaş, “Biodiesel fuels from vegetable oils via catalytic and non-catalytic supercritical alcohol transesterifications and other methods: a survey,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 44, no. 13, pp. 2093–2109, 2003.
- A. L. Boehman, D. Morris, J. Szybist, and E. Esen, “The impact of the bulk modulus of diesel fuels on fuel injection timing,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1877–1882, 2004.
- R. L. McCormick, A. Williams, J. Ireland, M. Brimhall, and R. R. Hayes, “Effects of biodiesel blends on vehicle emissions,” Tech. Rep. NREL/MP-540-40544, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo, USA, 2006.
- G. A. Ban-Weiss, J. Y. Chen, B. A. Buchholz, and R. W. Dibble, “A numerical investigation into the anomalous slight NOx increase when burning biodiesel; a new (old) theory,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 659–667, 2007.
- W. J. Brown, S. A. Gendernalik, R. V. Kerley, and F. J. Marsee, “Effects of engine intake-air moisture on exhaust emissions,” SAE Paper 700107, 1970.
- M. J. Manos, J. W. Bozek, and T. A. Huls, “Effect of laboratory ambient conditions on exhaust emissions,” SAE Paper 720124, 1972.
- S. R. Krause, “Effect of engine intake-air humidity, temperature, and presure on exhaust emissions,” SAE Paper 710835, 1971.
- L. G. Dodge, T. J. Callahan, and T. W. Ryan, “Humidity and temperature correction factors for NOx emissions from diesel engines: final report,” SwRI Project 03. 30. 10. 06599, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 2003.