- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Communications and Networking
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 149505, 14 pages
QoSHVCP: Hybrid Vehicular Communications Protocol with QoS Prioritization for Safety Applications
1Center for Distributed and Mobile Computing, The School of Computing Sciences and Informatics, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
2Department of Applied Electronics, Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy
3Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
Received 12 January 2012; Accepted 15 February 2012
Academic Editors: H. M. Sun and Y. M. Tseng
Copyright © 2012 Ahmad Mostafa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Olariu and M. C. Weigle, Eds., Vehicular Networks: From Theory to Practice, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, 2009.
- O. Tonguz, N. Wisitpongphan, F. Bai, P. Mudalige, and V. Sadekar, “Broadcasting in VANET,” in Proceedings of the Mobile Networking for Vehicular Environments, (MOVE '07), pp. 7–12, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, May 2007.
- B. Dalla Chiara, F. Deflorio, and S. Diwan, “Assessing the effects of inter-vehicle communication systems on road safety,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 225–235, 2009.
- J. Ott and D. Kutscher, “Drive-thru Internet: IEEE 802.11b for Automobile Users,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '04), vol. 1, pp. 361–373, 2004.
- N. Mejri, F. Kamoun, and F. Filali, “Cooperative infrastructure discovery through V2X communication,” in Proceedings of the 9th IFIP Annual Mediterranean Ad Hoc Networking Workshop, (MED-HOC-NET '10), June 2010.
- J. Seo, K. Park, W. Jeon, J. Kwak, and D. K. Kim, “Performance evaluation of V2X communications in practical small-scale fading models,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 20th Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications Symposium, (PIMRC '09), September 2009.
- A. Vegni and T. Little, “A message propagation model for hybrid vehicular communication protocols,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Communication Technologies for Vehicles (Nets4Cars '10), Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and DSP (CSNDSP '10), 2010.
- G. P. Pollini, “Trends in Handover design,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 82–90, 1996.
- T. Spyropoulos, K. Psounis, and C. Raghavendra, “Spray and wait: an efficient routing scheme for intermittently connected mobile networks,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Delay-Tolerant Networking, Pa, USA, 2005.
- A. Agarwal and T. Little, “Access point placement in vehicular networking,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments, Troy, Mich, USA, 2008.
- G. Resta, P. Santi, and J. Simon, “Analysis of multi-hop emergency message propagation in vehicular Ad Hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, pp. 140–149, Montreal, Canada, 2007.
- E. Schoch, F. Kargl, M. Weber, and T. Leinmüller, “Communication patterns in VANETs,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 119–125, 2008.
- S. Ni, Y. Tseng, Y. Cheng, and J. Sheu, “The broadcast storm problem in a mobile Ad Hoc network,” in Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 151–162, Seattle, Wash, USA, August 1999.
- K. Suriyapaibonwattana and C. Pomavalai, “An effective safety alert broadcast algorithm for VANET,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies, (ISCIT '08), pp. 247–250, October 2008.
- C. Palazzi, M. Roccetti, S. Ferretti, G. Oau, and M. Gerla, “Online games on wheels: fast game event delivery in vehicular Ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Intl. Workshop on Vehicle-to Vehicle Communications—IEEE International Vehicles Symposium, IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2007.
- S. Panichpapiboon and G. Ferrari, “Irresponsible forwarding,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Intelligent Transport System Telecommunications, ITST 2008, pp. 311–316, Phuket, Thailand, October 2008.
- H. Jiang, H. Guo, and L. Chen, “Reliable and efficient alarm message routing in VANET,” in Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, (ICDCS '08), pp. 186–191, June 2008.
- X. Dong, K. Li, J. Misener, P. Varayia, and W. Zhang, “Expediting Vehicle Infrastructure Integration (EVII),” Tech. Rep. UCB-ITS-PRR-2006-20, California PATH Research Report, 2006.
- M. Gerla, B. Zhou, Y. Z. Lee, F. Soldo, U. Lee, and G. Marfia, “Vehicular grid communications: the role of the internet infrastructure,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Annual International Workshop on Wireless Internet, (WICON '06), Boston, Mass, USA, August 2006.
- G. Marfia, G. Pau, E. D. Sena, E. Giordano, and M. Gerla, “Evaluating vehicle network strategies for downtown portland: opportunistic infrastructure and importance of realistic mobility models,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Mobile Opportunistic Networking (MobiOpp '07), Porto Rico, June 2007.
- J. W. Wedel, B. Schünemann, and I. Radusch, “V2X-based traffic congestion recognition and avoidance,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Pervasive Systems, Algorithms, and Networks, (I-SPAN '09), pp. 637–641, December 2009.
- T. C. K. Chou and J. A. Abraham, “Load balancing in distributed systems,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 401–412, 1982.
- Q. T. Nguyen-Vuong, N. Agoulmine, and Y. Ghamri-Doudane, “Novel approach for load balancing in heterogeneous wireless packet networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium Workshops, (NOMS '08), pp. 26–31, April 2008.
- J. Ha, J. Kim, J.-U. Kim, and S.-H. Kim, “Dynamic load balancing architecture in heterogeneous wireless network environment,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Communications and Information Technology, ISCIT’09, pp. 248–253, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2009.
- A. Amis and R. Prakash, “Load-Balancing clusters in wireless Ad Hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Symposium on Application-Specific Systems and Software Engineering Technology (ASSET’00), pp. 25–32, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- H. Dai and R. Han, “A node-centric load balancing algorithm for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM'03), pp. 548–552, December 2003.
- W. Jiang, Z. Li, C. Zeng, and H. Jin, “Load balancing routing algorithm for ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks, (MSN '09), pp. 334–339, December 2009.
- G. Badawy, J. Misic, T. Todd, and D. Zhao, “Performance modeling of safety message delivery in vehicular Ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob '11), pp. 188–195, 2011.
- K. Abboud and W. Zhuang, “Modeling and Analysis for Emergency Messaging Delay in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Communications Conference, Exhibition & Industry Forum (GLOBECOM '09), pp. 1–6, 2009.
- R. Fracchia and M. Meo, “Analysis and design of warning delivery service in intervehicular networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 7, no. 7, Article ID 4359000, pp. 832–845, 2008.
- S. Yousefi, E. Altman, E. El-Azouzi, and M. Fathy, “Analytical Model for Connectivity in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (VTC'08), vol. 57, pp. 3341–3356, 2008.
- S. Ukkusuri and L. Du, “Geometric connectivity of vehicular ad hoc networks: analytical characterization,” Transportation Research Part C, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 615–634, 2008.
- A. Mostafa, A. Vegni, R. Singoria, T. Oliveira, T. Little, and D. Agrawal, “A V2X-based approach for reduction of delay propagation in vehicular Ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the Internationl Workshop on Seamless Connectivity in Vehicular Networks (SCVN '11), part of the 11th IEEE International Conference on ITS Telecommunications (ITST '11), Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2011.
- A. Agrawal, Analytical modeling of delay-tolerant data dissemination in vehicular networks, Ph.D. thesis, Boston University, 2010.