- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 151748, 8 pages
Development of Lead-Free Nanowire Composites for Energy Storage Applications
Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79968, USA
Received 31 August 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editors: J. Blázquez and A. A. Ismail
Copyright © 2012 Miguel Mendoza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Barber, S. Balasubramanian, Y. Anguchamy et al., “Polymer composite and nanocomposite dielectric materials for pulse power energy storage,” Materials, vol. 2, pp. 1697–1733, 2009.
- P. J. Grbović, P. Delarue, P. Le Moigne, and P. Bartholomeus, “The ultracapacitor-based controlled electric drives with braking and ride-through capability: overview and analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 925–936, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, H. Feng, X. Wu et al., “Progress of electrochemical capacitor electrode materials: a review,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 4889–4899, 2009.
- Y. Rao, S. Ogitani, P. Kohl, and C. P. Wong, “Novel polymer-ceramic nanocomposite based on high dielectric constant epoxy formula for embedded capacitor application,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 1084–1090, 2002.
- P. Lehmann, “Overview of the electric launch activities at the French-German research Institute of Saint-Louis (ISL),” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 24–28, 2003.
- T. Tanaka, G. C. Montanari, and R. Mülhaupt, “Polymer nanocomposites as dielectrics and electrical insulation—perspectives for processing technologies, material characterization and future applications,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 763–784, 2004.
- Z. Tian, X. Wang, L. Shu et al., “Preparation of nano BaTiO3-based ceramics for multilayer ceramic capacitor application by chemical coating method,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 830–833, 2009.
- M. Unruan, T. Sareein, J. Tangsritrakul et al., “Changes in dielectric and ferroelectric properties of Fe3+/Nb5+ hybrid-doped barium titanate ceramics under compressive stress,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 104, no. 12, Article ID 124102, 2008.
- O. Guillon, J. Chang, S. Schaab, and S.-J. L. Kang, “Capacitance enhancement of doped barium titanate dielectrics and multilayer ceramic capacitors by a post-sintering thermo-mechanical treatment,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 2277–2281, 2012.
- S. S. Ibrahim, A. A. Al Jaafari, and A. S. Ayesh, “Physical characterizations of three phase polycarbonate nanocomposites,” Journal of Plastic Film and Sheeting, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 275–291, 2011.
- L. Xie, X. Huang, C. Wu, and P. Jiang, “Core-shell structured poly(methyl methacrylate)/BaTiO3 nanocomposites prepared by in situ atom transfer radical polymerization: a route to high dielectric constant materials with the inherent low loss of the base polymer,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 16, pp. 5897–5906, 2011.
- P. Kim, N. M. Doss, J. P. Tillotson et al., “High energy density nanocomposites based on surface-modified BaTiO3 and a ferroelectric polymer,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 2581–2592, 2009.
- Y. P. Mao, S. Y. Mao, Z.-G. Ye, Z. X. Xie, and L. S. Zheng, “Size-dependences of the dielectric and ferroelectric properties of BaTiO3/polyvinylidene fluoride nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 108, no. 1, Article ID 014102, 2010.
- Z.-M. Dang, J.-K. Yuan, J.-W. Zha, T. Zhou, S.-T. Li, and G.-H. Hu, “Fundamentals, processes and applications of high-permittivity polymer-matrix composites,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 660–723, 2012.
- L. Ni and X. M. Chen, “Dielectric relaxations and formation mechanism of giant dielectric constant step in CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 12, Article ID 122905, 2007.
- A. Chen, K. Kamata, M. Nakagawa, T. Iyoda, H. Wang, and X. Li, “Formation process of silver-polypyrrole coaxial nanocables synthesized by redox reaction between AgNO3 and pyrrole in the presence of poly(vinylpyrrolidone),” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 39, pp. 18283–18288, 2005.
- D. K. Das-Gupta and K. Doughty, “Polymer-ceramic composite materials with high dielectric constants,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 93–105, 1988.
- C. Andrews, Y. Lin, and H. A. Sodano, “The effect of particle aspect ratio on the electroelastic properties of piezoelectric nanocomposites,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 19, no. 2, Article ID 025018, 2010.
- H. Tang, Y. Lin, C. Andrews, and H. A. Sodano, “Nanocomposites with increased energy density through high aspect ratio PZT nanowires,” Nanotechnology, vol. 22, no. 1, Article ID 015702, 2011.
- J. H. Jung, M. Lee, J. I. Hong et al., “Lead-free NaNbO3 nanowires for high output piezoelectric nanogenerator,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, Article ID 10041, 2011.
- J. Wang, C. S. Sandu, and N. Setter, “Large-scale fabrication of titanium-rich perovskite PZT submicro/nano wires and their electromechanical properties,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 1813–1819, 2009.
- ASTM Standard D149-09, “Standard test method for dielectric breakdown voltage and dielectric strength of solid electrical insulating materials at commercial power frequencies,” Research Report, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2009.
- H. Shi, X. Li, D. Wang, Y. Yuan, Z. Zou, and J. Ye, “NaNbO3 nanostructures: facile synthesis, characterization, and their photocatalytic properties,” Catalysis Letters, vol. 132, no. 1-2, pp. 205–212, 2009.
- T. Y. Ke, H. A. Chen, H. S. Sheu et al., “Sodium niobate nanowire and its piezoelectricity,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 24, pp. 8827–8831, 2008.
- X. Lu, D. Zhang, Q. Zhao, C. Wang, W. Zhang, and Y. Wei, “Large-scale synthesis of necklace-like single-crystalline PbTiO3 nanowires,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 76–80, 2006.
- Z. Cai, X. Xing, R. Yu, X. Sun, and G. Liu, “Morphology-controlled synthesis of lead titanate powders,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 46, pp. 7423–7427, 2007.
- B. Chu, X. Zhou, K. Ren et al., “A dielectric polymer with high electric energy density and fast discharge speed,” Science, vol. 313, no. 5785, pp. 334–336, 2006.
- V. V. Varadan, Y. R. Roh, V. K. Varadan, and R. H. Tancrell, “Measurement of all the elastic and dielectric constants of poled PVDF films,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, vol. 2, pp. 727–730, October 1989.
- Y. I. Yuzyuk, P. Simon, E. Gagarina et al., “Modulated phases in NaNbO3: Raman scattering, synchrotron x-ray diffraction, and dielectric investigations,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 17, no. 33, pp. 4977–4990, 2005.
- V. Shanker, S. L. Samal, G. K. Pradhan, C. Narayana, and A. K. Ganguli, “Nanocrystalline NaNbO3 and NaTaO3: rietveld studies, Raman spectroscopy and dielectric properties,” Solid State Sciences, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 562–569, 2009.
- Y. Hu, H. Gu, W. Chen, and Y. Wang, “Preparation of PbTiO3 nanoceramics based on hydrothermal nanopowders and characterization of their electrical properties,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 121, no. 1-2, pp. 10–13, 2010.
- K. M. Slenes, P. Winsor, T. Scholz, and M. Hudis, “Pulse power capability of high energy density capacitors based on a new dielectric material,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 324–327, 2001.
- Q. Li, T. Zhao, and W. H. Siew, “Definition and digital algorithms of dielectric loss factor for condition monitoring of high-voltage power equipment with harmonics emphasis,” IEE Proceedings Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 309–312, 2005.
- H. Tang, Y. Lin, and H. A. Sodano, “Enhanced energy storage in nanocomposite capacitors through aligned PZT nanowires by uniaxial strain assembly,” Advanced Energy Materials, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 469–476, 2012.