- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 153412, 7 pages
Constraints to On-Farm Maize (Zea mays L.) Seed Production in Western Kenya: Plant Growth and Yield
1Kenya Agricultural Research Institute, National Genebank of Kenya, P.O. Box 30148-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
2School of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Karatina University College, P.O. Box 1957-10101, Karatina, Kenya
3Department of Seed, Crop and Horticultural Sciences, Chepkoilel University College, P.O. Box 1125-30100, Eldoret, Kenya
Received 12 April 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editors: J. Hatfield, G. C. Heathman, and M. A. Taboada
Copyright © 2012 P. W. Wambugu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- ISAAA (International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications), Maize, 2001, http://www.isaaa.org/.
- M. Kamidi, D. Cheruiyot, P. Osore, and G. Barasa, “Verification of the effect of organic manures and inorganic fertilizers on the yield of maize,” in A Key to Sustainable Land Use. Proceedings of the 17th Conference of the Soil Science Society of East Africa, 6–10 September 1999, J. S. Tenywa, J. Y. K. Zake, P. Ebanyat, O. Semalulu, and S. T. Nkalubo, Eds., 1999.
- P. N. Mwangi and A. Ely, “Assessing risks and benefits: Bt maize in Kenya,” Biotechnology and Development Monitor, no. 48, pp. 6–9, 2001.
- J. C. Delouche, “Seed quality guidelines for the small farmer,” in Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT '82), Improved seed for the small farmer, pp. 26–29, Cali, Colombia, 1982.
- G. de Bruijn, C. Almekinders, and L. Keune, “Farmers' knowledge and practices. In Smallholder seed production, with special reference to a case study in Central America,” in Seed Production by Small Holder Farmers. Proceedings of the ILCA/ICARDA Research Planning Workshop held in ILCA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 13–15 June 1994, J. Hanson, Ed., p. 58, 1994.
- M. Wright, T. Donaldson, E. Cromwell, and J. New, “The retention and care of seeds by small-scale farmers,” NRI Report R2103, 1994.
- N. P. Louwaars, “Integrated seed supply: a flexible approach,” in Seed Production by Small Holder Farmers. Proceedings of the ILCA/ICARDA Research Planning Workshop held in ILCA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 13–15 June 1994, J. Hanson, Ed., p. 58, 1994.
- D. L. Dornbos Jr., “Production environment and seed quality,” in Basic Mechanisms and Agricultural Implications, A. S. Basra, Ed., pp. 119–145, Food Products Press, London, UK, 1995.
- A. A. Powell, S. Matthews, and M. D. A. Oliveira, “Seed quality in grain legumes,” Advances in Applied Biology, vol. 10, pp. 217–285, 1984.
- P. W. Wambugu, On-farm Seed Production, Storage and Preservation of Selected Local Maize (Zea mays L.) Germplasm in Western Kenya: The Case of Siaya and Busia Districts [Master of Philosophy Thesis], Moi University, 2006.
- W. Songa, W. K. Ronno, and D. L. Danial, “Production constraints of beans in the semi arid Eastern Kenya with special reference to charcoal rot,” in Proceedings of the Regional Workshop for Eastern, Central and Southern Africa held at Njoro, Kenya, pp. 251–255, Wageningen Agricultural University, October 1994.
- D. B. Egli, Seed Biology and the Yield of Grain Crops, CABI, Wallingford, UK, 1998.
- O. M. Odongo, “Witchweed Striga hermonthica (del.) management strategies in maize farming system in Western Kenya,” Report for 1994 and Current Striga Research by RRC-Kakamega. East and Central African Striga Working Group in Mombasa (Kenya) and Tanga (Tanzania), 1995.
- GOK, Busia District Development Plan. 1997–2001, Ministry of Home Affairs and National Planning, 1997.
- GOK, Siaya District Development Plan. 1997–2001, Ministry of Home Affairs and National Planning, 1997.
- A. Cornwall, I. Guijt, and A. Welbourn, “Acknowledging process: challenges for agricultural research and extension methodology,” in International Institute for Environmental Development, I. Scoones and J. Thompson, Eds., pp. 98–117, Intermediate Technology, London, UK, 1994.
- K. S. Kwon, “Genetics of maize tolerance of Striga hermonthica,” Crop Science, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 900–907, 1994.
- K. A. Gomez and A. Gomez, Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research, International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Phillipines, 2nd edition, 1987.
- CIMMYT, From Agronomic Data to Farmer Recommendations: An Economics Training Manual, Completely Revised edition, 1998.
- L. F. Muhammed, H. C. Scott, and M. H. C. G. Steeghs, Seed availability, distribution and use in Machakos district, short rains 1983-short rains 1984, MALD: DAO and DFRS, Machakos, Kenya, 1985.
- C. J. M. Almekinders, N. P. Louwaars, and G. H. de Bruijn, “Local seed systems and their importance for an improved seed supply in developing countries,” Euphytica, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 207–216, 1994.
- D. L. Clawson, “Harvest security and intraspecific diversity in traditional tropical agriculture,” Economic Botany, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 56–67, 1985.
- H. Wierema, C. Almekinders, L. Keune, and R. Vermeer, La produccion Campessina en Centroamerica: Los Sistemas Locales De Semilla, IVO, Tilburg, The Netherlands, 1993.
- A. Haugerud and M. P. Collinson, “Plants, genes and people: improving the relevance of plant breeding in Africa,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 341–362, 1990.
- M. A. Ellis, G. E. Galvez, and J. B. Sinclair, “Effects of foliar applications of systemic fungicides and late harvest on seed quality of dry bean (Phaseolus vulgaris),” Plant Disease Reporter, vol. 60, pp. 1073–1076, 1976.
- E. S. Beebe and M. P. Corrales, “Breeding for diseases,” in Common Beans Research for Crop Improvement, A. van Schoonhoven and O. Voyest, Eds., pp. 561–610, CIAT and CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1991.
- A. C. Ulger, H. Ibrikci, B. Cakir, and N. Guzel, “Influence of nitrogen rates and row spacing on corn yield, protein content, and other plant parameters,” Journal of Plant Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1697–1709, 1997.
- D. T. Gungula, Growth and Nitrogen use efficiency in maize (Zea mays) in the Southern Guinea Savanna of Nigeria [Ph.D. thesis], University of Ibadan, 1999.
- H. C. Bittenbender, N. V. Hue, F. Kent, and B. Hillary, “Sustainability of organic fertilization of macadamia with macadamia husk-manure compost,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 409–419, 1998.
- O. M. Odongo and G. Abayo, “Performance of maize varieties under striga and striga free environments in Western Kenya,” in Agricultural Research and Development for Sustainable Resource Management and Increased Production. Proceedings of the 6th Biennial KARI Scientific Conference, 9–13 November 1998, Agronam Services Limited, Ed., 1998.
- A. Oswald, H. Frost, J. Ransom, J. K. Kroschel, K. D. Shepherd, and J. Sauerborn, “Studies on the potential for improved fallow using trees and shrubs to reduce striga infestations in Kenya,” in Proceedings of the 6th Parasitic Weed Symposium, Cordoba, Spain, 1996.
- M. Timmerman and B. Brolley, “Effect of soil nitrogen on soybean yield and quality,” 2002, http://umanitoba.ca/.
- P. Y. K. Sallah and D. Afribeh, “Effects of Striga hermonthica infestation on improved maize cultivars in Ghana,” Ghana Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 31, article 2, 1998.
- A. Y. Akintunde, G. O. Obigbesan, and S. K. Kim, “Nitrogen use efficiency and grain yields as influenced by nitrogen fertilization and hybrid maize varieties in selected agro-ecological zones of Nigeria,” in Maize Improvement, Production and Utilization in Nigeria, M. A. B. Fakorede, Ed., pp. 119–124, Adasanuri Press, IIe-Ife, Nigeria, 1993.
- C. Kanzikwera, D. Osiru, J. Tenywa, E. Adipala, and A. Bhagsari, “Effect of mother plant-applied nitrogen and potassium on seed weight and seedling emergence of true potato seed,” African Crop Science Journal, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 375–385, 2000.
- W. M. Thagana and P. Ndegwa, “The effect of seed size on germination of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) in the laboratory,” in Focus on Agricultural Research for Sustainable Development in a changing Economic Environment. Proceedings of the 5th KARI Scientific Conference 14–16 Oct. 1996, 1996.
- D. A. Vaughan, R. L. Bernard, and J. B. Sinclair, “Soybean seed quality in relation to days between development stages,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 81, pp. 215–219, 1989.
- D. A. Perry, “Seed vigour and seedling establishment,” Advances in Research and Technology of Seeds, vol. 5, pp. 25–40, 1980.
- E. A. Ogunremi, “Effect of Nitrogen fertilization and harvesting time on sunflower yield and hollow seededness,” East African Agriculture and Forestry Journal, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 236–241, 1984.
- M. C. Shiluli, C. N. Macharia, and A. W. Kamau, “Economic analysis of maize yield response to nitrogen and phosphorus in the sub-humid zones of Western Kenya,” African Crop Science Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 181–187, 2003.
- J. R. Okalebo, J. R. Simpson, E. G. Okwach, M. E. Probert, and R. L. McCrown, “Conservation of soil fertility under intensive maize cropping in semi arid eastern Kenya,” in Proceedings of the African Crop Science Conference, vol. 3, pp. 429–438, 1997.
- R. M. Hassan, K. Njoroge, M. Njore, R. Otsyulla, and A. Laboso, “Adoption patterns and performance of improved maize in Kenya,” in Maize Technology Development and Transfer. A GIS Application for Research Planning in Kenya-, pp. 107–136, 1998.
- J. R. Buresh, P. C. Smithson, D. T. Hellums, et al., “Building soil phosphorus capital in Africa,” in Replenishing Soil Fertility in Africa, R. J. Buresh, et al., Ed., pp. 111–149, SSSA Special Publication no. 51, Madison, Wis, USA, 1997.
- H. J. Mutsaers, G. K. Weber, P. Walker, and N. M. Fisher, “A field guide to on-farm experimentation,” IITA/CTA/ISNAR, 1997.
- ASARECA, “Impact of maize and wheat research in Eastern Africa: results of recent studies,” AgriForum Volume 10, 2000.