- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Signal Processing
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 179087, 11 pages
A Probabilistic Approach to Computerized Tracking of Arterial Walls in Ultrasound Image Sequences
1Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Clinical Sciences Wing, Glenfield General Hospital, Leicester LE3 9QP, UK
2Department of Medical Physics, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Sandringham Building, Leicester LE1 5WW, UK
Received 30 October 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editors: Y.-S. Chen, E. Ciaccio, and C. S. Lin
Copyright © 2012 Baris Kanber and Kumar Vids Ramnarine. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Golemati, A. Sassano, M. J. Lever, A. A. Bharath, S. Dhanjil, and A. N. Nicolaides, “Carotid artery wall motion estimated from b-mode ultrasound using region tracking and block matching,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 387–399, 2003.
- R. H. Selzer, W. J. Mack, P. L. Lee, H. Kwong-Fu, and H. N. Hodis, “Improved common carotid elasticity and intima-media thickness measurements from computer analysis of sequential ultrasound frames,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 185–193, 2001.
- I. Wendelhag, Q. Liang, T. Gustavsson, and J. Wikstrand, “A new automated computerized analyzing system simplifies readings and reduces the variability in ultrasound measurement of intima-media thickness,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2195–2200, 1997.
- R. E. Bellman and S. Dreyfus, Applied Dynamic Programming, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1962.
- F. Beux, S. Carmassi, M. V. Salvetti et al., “Automatic evaluation of arterial diameter variation from vascular echographic images,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1621–1629, 2001.
- D. C. Cheng, A. Schmidt-Trucksäss, K. S. Cheng, and H. Burkhardt, “Using snakes to detect the intimal and adventitial layers of the common carotid artery wall in sonographic images,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 27–37, 2002.
- V. R. Newey and D. K. Nassiri, “Online artery diameter measurement in ultrasound images using artificial neural networks,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 2002.
- M. H. Cardinal, J. Meunier, G. Soulez, R. L. Maurice, E. Therasse, and G. Cloutier, “Intravascular ultrasound image segmentation: a three-dimensional fast-marching method based on gray level distributions,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 590–601, 2006.
- S. Golemati, J. Stoitsis, E. G. Sifakis, T. Balkizas, and K. S. Nikita, “Using the Hough transform to segment ultrasound images of longitudinal and transverse sections of the carotid artery,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1918–1932, 2007.
- G. Mendizabal-Ruiz, M. Rivera, and I. A. Kakadiaris, “A probabilistic segmentation method for the identification of luminal borders in intravascular ultrasound images,” in Proceedings of the 26th IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '08), pp. 1–8, June 2008.
- X. Yang, M. Ding, L. Lou, M. Yuchi, W. Qiu, and Y. Sun, “Common carotid artery lumen segmentation in B-mode ultrasound transverse view images,” International Journal of Image, Graphics and Signal Processing, vol. 5, pp. 15–21, 2011.
- J. A. Noble and D. Boukerroui, “Ultrasound image segmentation: a survey,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 987–1010, 2006.
- K. V. Ramnarine, B. Kanber, and R. B. Panerai, “Assessing the performance of vessel wall tracking algorithms: the importance of the test phantom,” Journal of Physics, vol. 1, pp. 199–204, 2004.
- M. W. Claridge, G. R. Bate, J. A. Dineley et al., “A reproducibility study of a TDI-based method to calculate indices of arterial stiffness,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 215–220, 2007.
- C. J. P. M. Teirlinck, R. A. Bezemer, C. Kollmann et al., “Development of an example flow test object and comparison of five of these test objects, constructed in various laboratories,” Ultrasonics, vol. 36, no. 1–5, pp. 653–660, 1998.
- K. V. Ramnarine, D. K. Nassiri, P. R. Hoskins, and J. Lubbers, “Validation of a new blood-mimicking fluid for use in Doppler flow test objects,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 451–459, 1998.
- K. V. Ramnarine, P. R. Hoskins, H. F. Routh, and F. Davidson, “Doppler backscatter properties of a blood-mimicking fluid for doppler performance assessment,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 105–110, 1999.
- L. Germond, O. Bonnefous, and T. Loupas, “Quantitative assessment of the artery dilation measurements with an arterial phantom,” in Proceedings of the 2001 Ultrasonics Symposium, pp. 1413–1416, October 2001.
- 2011, Region Growing (2D/3D greyscale). MATLAB Central File Exchange, http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/32532.