- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 204104, 3 pages
The Born Formula Describes Enthalpy of Ions Solvation
Institute of Chemical Kinetics and Combustion, Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
Received 3 February 2012; Accepted 26 February 2012
Academic Editor: M. Manciu
Copyright © 2012 Nikolai Bazhin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Born, “Volumen und Hydratationswarme der Ionen,” Zeitschrift für Physik, vol. 1, pp. 45–48, 1920.
- N. Bjerrum and E. Larson, “Studien uber Ionenverteilungskoeffizienten I.,” Zeitschrift für Physikalische Chemie, vol. 127, pp. 358–384, 1927.
- P. W. Atkins and A. J. MacDermott, “The born equation and ionic solvation,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 359–360, 1982.
- P. M. Qureshi, R. K. Varshney, and S. B. Singh, “Empirical correlations for the evaluation of the free energies of solvation of some gaseous monovalent ions,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 903–906, 1989.
- D. Bashford and D. A. Case, “Generalized born models of macromolecular solvation effects,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 51, pp. 129–152, 2000.
- P. K. Yang and C. Lim, “The importance of excluded solvent volume effects in computing hydration free energies,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 112, no. 47, pp. 14863–14868, 2008.
- B. Roux, H. A. Yu, and M. Karplus, “Molecular basis for the born model of ion solvation,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 4683–4688, 1990.
- G. F. de Lima, H. A. Duarte, and J. R. Pliego, “Dynamical discrete/continuum linear response shells theory of solvation: convergence test for + and ions in water solution using DFT and DFTB methods,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 114, no. 48, pp. 15941–15947, 2010.
- C. S. Babu and C. Lim, “Theory of ionic hydration: insights from molecular dynamics simulations and experiment,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 37, pp. 7958–7968, 1999.
- F. Hirata, P. Redfern, and R. M. Levy, “Viewing the born model for ion hydration through a microscope,” International Journal of Quantum Chemistry, vol. 15, pp. 179–190, 1988.
- Ya. I. Gerasimov, Ed., Physical Chemistry, Chimiya, Moscow, Russia, 1980.
- L. E. Steiner, Introduction to Chemical Thermodynamic, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1948.
- N. M. Bazhin and V. N. Parmon, “Conversion of the chemical reaction energy into useful work in the Van't Hoff equilibrium box,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1053–1055, 2007.
- R. A. Alberty, Physical Chemislry, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 7th edition, 1987.