- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 216206, 5 pages
Recurrent Syncope in Patients with Carotid Sinus Hypersensitivity
1UO Emergency Medicine and Syncope Unit, Ospedale Santa Maria Nuova-Firenze, Piazza S. Maria Nuova, 1-50131, Florence, Italy
2Cardiology Unit, Electrophysiology and Syncope Unit, Ospedale Santa Maria Nuova-Firenze, Piazza S. Maria Nuova, 1-50131, Florence, Italy
Received 21 June 2012; Accepted 13 August 2012
Academic Editors: A. Bobik and R. Lazzara
Copyright © 2012 Alfonso Lagi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Moya, R. Sutton, F. Ammirati et al., “Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of syncope (version 2009),” European Heart Journal, vol. 30, no. 21, pp. 2631–2671, 2009.
- C. T. P. Krediet, S. W. Parry, D. L. Jardine, D. G. Benditt, M. Brignole, and W. Wieling, “The history of diagnosing carotid sinus hypersensitivity: why are the current criteria too sensitive?” Europace, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 14–22, 2011.
- S. J. McIntosh, J. Lawson, R. S. Bexton, R. G. Gold, M. M. Tynan, and R. A. Kenny, “A study comparing VVI and DDI pacing in elderly patients with carotid sinus syndrome,” Heart, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 553–557, 1997.
- R. A. M. Kenny, D. A. Richardson, N. Steen, R. S. Bexton, F. E. Shaw, and J. Bond, “Carotid sinus syndrome: a modifiable risk factor for nonaccidental falls in older adults (SAFE PACE),” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1491–1496, 2001.
- C. A. Morillo, M. E. Camacho, M. A. Wood, D. M. Gilligan, and K. A. Ellenbogen, “Diagnostic utility of mechanical, pharmacological and orthostatic stimulation of the carotid sinus in patients with unexplained syncope,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1587–1594, 1999.
- A. M. Humm and C. J. Mathias, “Abnormal cardiovascular responses to carotid sinus massage also occur in vasovagal syncope—implications for diagnosis and treatment,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1061–1067, 2010.
- J. Healey, S. J. Connolly, and C. A. Morillo, “The management of patients with carotid sinus syndrome: is pacing the answer?” Clinical Autonomic Research, vol. 14, no. 1, supplement, pp. 1/80–1/86, 2004.
- M. Brignole and C. Menozzi, “The natural history of carotid sinus syncope and the effect of cardiac pacing,” Europace, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 462–464, 2011.
- S. R. J. Kerr, M. S. Pearce, C. Brayne, R. J. Davis, and R. A. Kenny, “Carotid sinus hypersensitivity in asymptomatic older persons: implications for diagnosis of syncope and falls,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 5, pp. 515–520, 2006.
- A. M. Humm and C. J. Mathias, “Unexplained syncope—is screening for carotid sinus hypersensitivity indicated in all patients aged >40 years?” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1267–1270, 2006.
- N. L. Colpan, “Carotid sinus hypersensitivity and syncope,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 5, pp. 491–492, 2006.
- S. K. S. Huang, M. D. Ezri, R. G. Hauser, and P. Denes, “Carotid sinus hypersensitivity in patients with unexplained syncope: clinical electrophysiologic, and long-term follow-up observations,” American Heart Journal, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 989–996, 1988.
- J. C. Milton, T. C. Lee, and S. H. D. Jackson, “Determinants of a positive response to carotid sinus massage and head-up tilt testing,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 709–711, 2009.
- M. P. Tan, R. A. M. Kenny, T. J. Chadwick, S. R. J. Kerr, and S. W. Parry, “Carotid sinus hypersensitivity: disease state or clinical sign of ageing? Insights from a controlled study of autonomic function in symptomatic and asymptomatic subjects,” Europace, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1630–1636, 2010.
- D. J. Ryan, S. Nick, S. M. Colette, and K. Roseanne, “Carotid sinus syndrome, should we pace? A multicentre, randomised control trial (Safepace 2),” Heart, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 347–351, 2010.