- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 232349, 5 pages
Cultivar and Growing Location Effects on Fatty Acids and Minerals in White Lupin Sprouts
Agricultural Research Station, Virginia State University, P.O. Box 9061, Petersburg, VA 23806, USA
Received 28 August 2012; Accepted 14 September 2012
Academic Editors: G. M. Dal Bello and I. Vasilakoglou
Copyright © 2012 Harbans L. Bhardwaj and Anwar A. Hamama. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Azulay, “Sprouts-the forgotten food (part 1). An overview of sprouts and nutrition,” in San Diego Earth Times (SDET) Health and Diet, pp. 1–5, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1997.
- K. Lorenz, “Cereal sprouts: composition, nutritive value, food applications,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 353–385, 1980.
- T. Y. Chung, E. N. Nwokolo, and J. S. Sim, “Compositional and digestibility changes in sprouted barley and canola seeds,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 267–278, 1989.
- H. M. Bau, C. Villaume, J. P. Nicolas, and L. Méjean, “Effect of germination on chemical composition, biochemical constituents and antinutritional factors of soya bean (Glycine max) seeds,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1997.
- F. Yang, T. K. Basu, and B. Ooraikul, “Studies on germination conditions and antioxidant contents of wheat grain,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 319–330, 2001.
- M. Kaur and B. L. Kawatra, “Effect of domestic processing on zinc bioavailability from ricebean (Vigna umbellata) diets,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 3-4, pp. 307–318, 2002.
- H. L. Bhardwaj and A. A. Hamama, “Yield and nutritional quality of canola sprouts,” HortScience, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1656–1658, 2007.
- D. Zielinska, J. Frias, M. K. Piskuła, H. Kozłowska, H. Zielinski, and C. Vidal-Valverde, “Evaluation of the antioxidant capacity of lupin sprouts germinated in the presence of selenium,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 227, no. 6, pp. 1711–1720, 2008.
- N. Andarwulan, D. Fardiaz, G. A. Wattimena, and K. Shetty, “Antioxidant activity associated with lipid and phenolic mobilization during seed germination of Pangium edule Reinw,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 3158–3163, 1999.
- R. Balasaraswathi and S. Sadasivam, “Changes in oil, sugars and nitrogenous components during germination of sunflower seeds, Helianthus annuus,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 1997.
- W. Hondelmann, “The lupin—ancient and modern crop plant,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 68, no. 1-2, pp. 1–9, 1984.
- J. M. Kingsbury, Poisonous Plants of the United States and Canada, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1964.
- S. G. Dagnia, D. S. Petterson, R. R. Bell, and F. V. Flanagan, “Germination alters the nutritional value of lupin seed,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 60, pp. 419–423, 1992.
- W. A. Cowling, C. Hughie, and W. Swiecicki, “Lupin breeding,” in Lupins as Crop Plants: Biology, Production and Utilization, J. S. Gladstones, C. A. Atkins, and J. Hamblin, Eds., CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1998.
- H. L. Bhardwaj and A. A. Hamama, “Yield and nutritional quality traits of white lupin sprouts,” Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 58–61, 2012.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Va, USA, 16th edition, 1995.
- A. A. Hamama, H. L. Bhardwaj, and D. E. Starner, “Genotype and growing location effects on phytosterols in canola oil,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1121–1126, 2003.
- SAS, SAS System for Windows, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 2002.
- M. A. Schmidt, Brain-Building Nutrition, The Healing Power of Fats and Oils, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- C. Watkins, “Fundamental fats,” International News on Fats, Oils and Related Materials, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 638–640, 2004.
- H. L. Bhardwaj, A. A. Hamama, and E. van Santen, “White lupin performance and nutritional value as affected by planting date and row spacing,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 580–583, 2004.