- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 237823, 6 pages
Analysis of LAM and 38 kDa Antibody Levels for Diagnosis of TB in a Case-Control Study in West Africa
Vaccinology Theme, Medical Research Council Unit, Atlantic Road, Fajara, P.O. Box 273, Banjul, Gambia
Received 10 October 2012; Accepted 28 October 2012
Academic Editors: C. M. Artlett, E. K. Kapsogeorgou, D. Lilic, and I. Mezzaroma
Copyright © 2012 Marie P. Gomez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Nunn, B. Williams, K. Floyd, C. Dye, G. Elzinga, and M. Raviglione, “Tuberculosis control in the era of HIV,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 819–826, 2005.
- F. Abebe and G. Bjune, “The protective role of antibody responses during Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 235–243, 2009.
- S. Kunnath-Velayudhan, H. Salamon, H. Y. Wang et al., “Dynamic antibody responses to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis proteome,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 33, pp. 14703–14708, 2010.
- J. M. Achkar, E. Jenny-Avital, X. Yu et al., “Antibodies against immunodominant antigens of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in subjects with suspected tuberculosis in the United States compared by HIV status,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 384–392, 2010.
- W. Ben Selma, H. Harizi, M. Marzouk et al., “Rapid detection of immunoglobulin G against Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigens by two commercial ELISA kits,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 841–846, 2010.
- R. J. Wilkinson, K. Hasløv, R. Rappuoli et al., “Evaluation of the recombinant 38-kilodalton antigen of Mycobacterium tuberculosis as a potential immunodiagnostic reagent,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 553–557, 1997.
- V. Briken, S. A. Porcelli, G. S. Besra, and L. Kremer, “Mycobacterial lipoarabinomannan and related lipoglycans: from biogenesis to modulation of the immune response,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 391–403, 2004.
- J. Minion, E. Leung, E. Talbot, K. Dheda, M. Pai, and D. Menzies, “Diagnosing tuberculosis with urine lipoarabinomannan: systematic review and meta-analysis,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1398–1405, 2011.
- G. C. MacEdo, A. Bozzi, H. R. Weinreich, A. Bafica, H. C. Teixeira, and S. C. Oliveira, “Human T cell and antibody-mediated responses to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis recombinant 85A, 85B, and ESAT-6 antigens,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2011, Article ID 351573, 10 pages, 2011.
- X. Yu, R. Prados-Rosales, E. R. Jenny-Avital, K. Sosa, A. Casadevall, and J. M. Achkar, “Comparative evaluation of profiles of antibodies to mycobacterial capsular polysaccharides in tuberculosis patients and controls stratified by HIV status,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 198–208, 2012.
- J. M. Young, I. M. O. Adetifa, M. O. C. Ota, and J. S. Sutherland, “Expanded polyfunctional T cell response to mycobacterial antigens in TB disease and contraction post-treatment,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 6, Article ID e11237, 2010.
- J. S. Sutherland, D. J. Jeffries, S. Donkor et al., “High granulocyte/lymphocyte ratio and paucity of NKT cells defines TB disease in a TB-endemic setting,” Tuberculosis, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 398–404, 2009.
- J. S. Sutherland, P. C. Hill, I. M. Adetifa et al., “Identification of probable early-onset biomarkers for tuberculosis disease progression,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e25230, 2011.
- J. S. Sutherland, D. Garba, A. E. Fombah et al., “Highly accurate diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis by immunological analysis of the pleural effusion,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e30324, 2012.
- K. R. Steingart, N. Dendukuri, M. Henry et al., “Performance of purified antigens for serodiagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a meta-analysis,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 260–276, 2009.
- K. Al Zahrani, H. Al Jahdali, L. Poirier, P. Rene, M. L. Gennaro, and D. Menzies, “Accuracy and utility of commercially available amplification and serologic tests for the diagnosis of minimal pulmonary tuberculosis,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 4, pp. 1323–1329, 2000.
- J. M. Achkar, S. D. Lawn, M. Y. Moosa, C. A. Wright, and V. O. Kasprowicz, “Adjunctive tests for diagnosis of tuberculosis: serology, ELISPOT for site-specific lymphocytes, urinary lipoarabinomannan, string test, and fine needle aspiration,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 204, supplement 4, pp. S1130–S1141, 2011.
- M. J. Sartain, R. A. Slayden, K. K. Singh, S. Laal, and J. T. Belisle, “Disease state differentiation and identification of tuberculosis biomarkers via native antigen array profiling,” Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 2102–2113, 2006.
- K. Samanich, J. T. Belisle, and S. Laal, “Homogeneity of antibody responses in tuberculosis patients,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 4600–4609, 2001.
- E. Guirado, I. Amat, O. Gil et al., “Passive serum therapy with polyclonal antibodies against Mycobacterium tuberculosis protects against post-chemotherapy relapse of tuberculosis infection in SCID mice,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1252–1259, 2006.