- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 245891, 8 pages
Biological Markers and Response to Neoadjuvant Taxane-Based Chemotherapy in Patients with Locally Advanced Breast Cancer
1Department of Radiation Oncology, South Egypt Cancer Institute, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
2Department of Surgical Oncology, South Egypt Cancer Institute, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
3Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
4Department of Biostatistics and Cancer Epidemiology, South Egypt Cancer Institute, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Received 4 September 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editors: N. A. Franken and D. Mezzanzanica
Copyright © 2012 Mohamed I. El-sayed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kaufmann, G. N. Hortobagyi, A. Goldhirsch et al., “Recommendations from an international expert panel on the use of neoadjuvant (primary) systemic treatment of operable breast cancer: an update,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1940–1949, 2006.
- G. H. Ho, J. E. Calvano, M. Bisogna et al., “Genetic alterations of the p14ARF-hdm2-p53 regulatory pathway in breast carcinoma,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 225–232, 2001.
- W. H. EL Sawy, F. M. Abou Taleb, M. Abdel Kader et al., “Feasibility of breast conservation after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in 58 patients with locally advanced breast cancer using p53 and MDR1 genes as predictors of response,” Journal of the Egyptian National Cancer Institute, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 17–28, 2002.
- M. H. El-Didi, M. M. Moneer, H. M. Khaled, and S. Makarem, “Pathological assessment of the response of locally advanced breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and its implications for surgical management,” Surgery Today, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 249–254, 2000.
- J. Y. Pierga, E. Mouret, V. Laurence et al., “Prognostic factors for survival after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in operable breast cancer: the role of clinical response,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1089–1096, 2003.
- P. Chollet, S. Amat, H. Cure et al., “Prognostic significance of a complete pathological response after induction chemotherapy in operable breast cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 1041–1046, 2002.
- P. N. Munster and L. Norton, “Predictive factor for the response to adjuvant therapy with emphasis in breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 361–364, 2001.
- W. F. Anderson, K. C. Chu, N. Chatterjee, O. Brawley, and L. A. Brinton, “Tumor variants by hormone receptor expression in white patients with node-negative breast cancer from the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 18–27, 2001.
- S. H. Giordano, “Update on locally advanced breast cancer,” Oncologist, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 521–530, 2003.
- A. Sidoni, A. Cavaliere, G. Bellezza et al., “Coexpression of HER-2/neu and p53 in breast cancer identifies a subset with an aggressive biopathological profile,” Tumori, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 412–415, 2006.
- D. J. -Slamon, G. M. Clark, S. G. Wong, W. J. Levin, A. Ullrich, and W. L. McGuire, “Human breast cancer: correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene,” Science, vol. 235, pp. 177–182, 1987.
- J. Alsner, M. Yilmaz, P. Guldberg, L. L. Hansen, and J. Overgaard, “Heterogeneity in the clinical phenotype of TP53 mutations in breast cancer patients,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 3923–3931, 2000.
- S. W. Lowe, H. E. Ruley, T. Jacks, and D. E. Housman, “p53-Dependent apoptosis modulates the cytotoxicity of anticancer agents,” Cell, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 957–967, 1993.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- G. L. Miller, “Protein determination for large numbers of samples,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 5, p. 964, 1959.
- R. J. Henry, D. C. Canon, and J. W. Winkelman, Clinical Chemistry: Principles and Techniques, 2nd edition, 1974.
- S. Goble and H. D. Bear, “Emerging role of taxanes in adjuvant and neoadjuvant therapy for breast cancer: the potential and the questions,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 943–971, 2003.
- A. M. Gonzalez-Angulo, S. Krishnamurthy, Y. Yamamura et al., “Lack of association between amplification of her-2 and response to preoperative taxanes in patients with breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 258–263, 2004.
- M. Coplin and M. Nauhton, “Clinical and pathologic predictors of complete pathologic response to neoadjuvant docetaxel/anthracycline chemotherapy in breast cancer patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 14, supplement, abstract 863, p. 85S, 2004.
- J. C. Sachdev and M. Jahanzeb, “Blockade of the HER family of receptors in the treatment of HER2- positive metastatic breast cancer,” Clin Breast Cancer, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2012.
- A. Degeorges, A. De Roquancourt, J. M. Extra et al., “Is p53 a protein that predicts the response to chemotherapy in node negative breast cancer?” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 47–55, 1998.
- C. I. Li, J. R. Daling, and K. E. Malone, “Incidence of invasive breast cancer by hormone receptor status from 1992 to 1998,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2003.
- J. S. Ross and J. A. Fletcher, “The HER-2/neu oncogene in breast cancer: prognostic factor, predictive factor, and target for therapy,” Oncologist, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 237–252, 1998.
- B. J. Chae, J. S. Bae, A. Lee et al., “p53 as a specific prognostic factor in triple-negative breast cancer,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 217–224, 2009.
- Z. Bo, Y. De-qi, and X. Fei, “Biological markers as predictive factors of response to neoadjuvant taxanes and anthracycline chemotherapy in breast carcinoma,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 387–391, 2008.
- H. D. Bear, S. Anderson, A. Brown et al., “The effect on tumor response of adding sequential preoperative docetaxel to preoperative doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide: preliminary results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol B-27,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 4165–4174, 2003.
- M. Colleoni, G. Viale, D. Zahrieh et al., “Chemotherapy is more effective in patients with breast cancer not expressing steroid hormone receptors: a study of preoperative treatment,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 19, pp. 6622–6628, 2004.
- F. Zhang, Y. Yang, T. Smith et al., “Correlation between HER-2 expression and response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide in patients with breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 1758–1765, 2003.
- M. Fernández-Sánchez, A. Gamboa-Dominguez, N. Uribe et al., “Clinical and pathological predictors of the response to neoadjuvant anthracycline chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer,” Medical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 171–183, 2006.
- A. Honig, L. Rieger, M. Sutterlin, D. Wallwiener, J. Dietl, and E. Solomayer, “State of the art of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer: rationale, results and recent developments,” German Medical Science, vol. 3, 2005.
- S. Rozan, A. Vincent-Salomon, B. Zafrani, et al., “No significant predictive value of c- erbB-2 or p53 expression regarding sensitivity to primary chemotherapy or radiotherapy in breast cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 79, pp. 27–33, 1998.
- J. Shen, V. Valero, T. A. Buchholz et al., “Effective local control and long-term survival in patients with T4 locally advanced breast cancer treated with breast conservation therapy,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 854–860, 2004.
- P. B. Fisher, J. H. Jeong, P. J. Bryant et al., “Treatment of lymph-node-negative, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer: long-term findings from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project randomised clinical trials,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9437, pp. 858–868, 2004.
- V. R. Grann, A. B. Troxel, N. J. Zojwalla, J. S. Jacobson, D. Hershman, and A. I. Neugut, “Hormone receptor status and survival in a population-based cohort of patients with breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 2241–2251, 2005.
- L. K. Dunnwald, M. A. Rossing, and C. I. Li, “Hormone receptor status, tumor characteristics, and prognosis: a prospective cohort of breast cancer patients,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 1, article R6, 2007.
- J. A. Zell, W. Y. Tsang, T. H. Taylor, R. S. Mehta, and H. Anton-Culver, “Prognostic impact of human epidermal growth factor-like receptor 2 and hormone receptor status in inflammatory breast cancer (IBC): analysis of 2,014 IBC patient cases from the California Cancer Registry,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 1, article R9, 2009.
- H. G. Kaplan and J. A. Malmgren, “Impact of triple negative phenotype on breast cancer prognosis,” Breast Journal, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 456–463, 2008.
- V. Kumar, M. Tewari, U. Singh, and H. S. Shukla, “Significance of Her-2/neu protein over expression in Indian breast cancer patients,” Indian Journal of Surgery, vol. 69, pp. 122–128, 2007.
- D. G. Tiezzi, J. M. Andrade, A. Ribeiro-Silva, F. E. Zola, H. R. C. Marana, and M. G. Tiezzi, “HER-2, p53, p21 and hormonal receptors proteins expression as predictive factors of response and prognosis in locally advanced breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant docetaxel plus epirubicin combination,” BMC Cancer, vol. 7, article 36, 2007.
- M. M. Rashed, N. M. Ragab, and M. K. Galal, “The association of HER-2/neu over-expression in relation to p53 nuclear accumulation, hormonal recceptor status and common clinico-pathological prognostic parameters in a series of Egyptian women with invasive ductal carcinoma,” European Journal of General Medicine, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 73–79, 2007.
- H. Swede, K. B. Moysich, J. S. Winston et al., “Variation of the prognostic significance of HER-2 expression in breast cancer according to tumor size,” Breast Journal, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 98–105, 2003.
- L. Gimenez, A. Alvarez, E. Mickiewicz, et al., “Tumor Biology and Human Genetics,” abstract no. 2434, 1999.
- Y. Nieto, P. J. Cagnoni, S. Nawaz et al., “Evaluation of the predictive value of Her-2/neu overexpression and p53 mutations in high-risk primary breast cancer patients treated with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem-cell transplantation,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 2070–2080, 2000.
- T. Fusun, A. Semsi, U. Cem et al., “Association of HER-2/neu overexpression with the number of involved axillary lymph nodes in hormone receptor positive breast cancer patients,” Experimental Oncology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 145–149, 2005.
- S. B. Bull, H. Ozcelik, D. Pinnaduwage et al., “The combination of p53 mutation and neu/erbB-2 amplification is associated with poor survival in node-negative breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 86–96, 2004.
- I. Guerra, J. Algorta, R. Díaz De Otazu, A. Pelayo, and J. Fariña, “Immunohistochemical prognostic index for breast cancer in young women,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 323–327, 2003.