- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 253972, 9 pages
Simulating Turbulent Buoyant Flow by a Simple LES-Based Thermal Lattice Boltzmann Model
1Research and Development Center, Wisco, Wuhan 430084, China
2State Key Laboratory of Coal Combustion, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Received 14 December 2011; Accepted 30 January 2012
Academic Editors: P. Espeau, D. E. Khoshtariya, and P. Li
Copyright © 2012 Sheng Chen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Benzi, S. Succi, and M. Vergassola, “The lattice Boltzmann equation: theory and applications,” Physics Report, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 145–197, 1992.
- S. Chen and G. D. Doolen, “Lattice Boltzmann method for fluid flows,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 30, pp. 329–364, 1998.
- S. Succi, The Lattice Boltzmann Equation for Fluid Dynamics and Beyond, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2001.
- R. J. Goldstein, W. E. Ibele, S. V. Patankar et al., “Heat transfer—a review of 2001 literature,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 49, pp. 451–534, 2006.
- H. Chen, S. Kandasamy, S. Orszag, R. Shock, S. Succi, and V. Yakhot, “Extended Boltzmann kinetic equation for turbulent flows,” Science, vol. 301, no. 5633, pp. 633–636, 2003.
- Y. Qian, S. Succi, and S. Orszag, “Recent advances in lattice Boltzmann computing,” Annual Reviews of Computational Physics, vol. 3, pp. 195–242, 1995.
- G. Hazi, R. Imre, G. Mayer, and I. Farkas, “Lattice Boltzmann methods for two-phase flow modeling,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1421–1453, 2002.
- D. Yu, R. Mei, L. S. Luo, and W. Shyy, “Viscous flow computations with the method of lattice Boltzmann equation,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 329–367, 2003.
- D. O. Martinez, W. H. Matthaeus, S. Chen, and D. C. Montgomery, “Comparison of spectral method and lattice Boltzmann simulations of two-dimensional hydrodynamics,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1285–1298, 1994.
- X. He, G. D. Doolen, and T. Clark, “Comparison of the lattice Boltzmann method and the artificial compressibility method for Navier-Stokes equations,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 439–451, 2002.
- Y. Y. Al-Jahmany, G. Brenner, and P. O. Brunn, “Comparative study of lattice-Boltzmann and finite volume methods for the simulation of laminar flow through a 4 : 1 planar contraction,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 903–920, 2004.
- A. Al-Zoubi and G. Brenner, “Comparative study of thermal flows with different finite volume and lattice Boltzmann schemes,” International Journal of Modern Physics C, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 307–319, 2004.
- T. Seta, E. Takegoshi, and K. Okui, “Lattice Boltzmann simulation of natural convection in porous media,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 72, no. 2–6, pp. 195–200, 2006.
- S. Chen, Z. H. Liu, Z. He, et al., “A new numerical approach for fire simulation,” International Journal of Modern Physics C, vol. 18, pp. 187–202, 2007.
- F. Massaioli, R. Benzi, and S. Succi, “Exponential tails in twodimensionnal Rayleigh-Benard convection,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 21, pp. 305–310, 1993.
- F. J. Alexander, S. Chen, and J. D. Sterling, “Lattice Boltzmann thermohydrodynamics,” Physical Review E, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. R2249–R2252, 1993.
- Y. Chen, H. Ohashi, and M. Akiyama, “Thermal lattice Bhatnagar-Gross-Krook model without nonlinear deviations in macrodynamic equations,” Physical Review E, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 2776–2783, 1994.
- J. G. M. Eggels and J. A. Somers, “Numerical simulation of free convective flow using the lattice-Boltzmann scheme,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 357–364, 1995.
- H. N. Dixit and V. Babu, “Simulation of high Rayleigh number natural convection in a square cavity using the lattice Boltzmann method,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 49, no. 3-4, pp. 727–739, 2006.
- F. Kuznik, J. Vareilles, G. Rusaouen, and G. Krauss, “A double-population lattice Boltzmann method with non-uniform mesh for the simulation of natural convection in a square cavity,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 862–870, 2007.
- S. Chen, Z. Liu, C. Zhang et al., “A novel coupled lattice Boltzmann model for low Mach number combustion simulation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 266–284, 2007.
- P. Pavlo, G. Vahala, L. Vahala, and M. Soe, “Linear stability analysis of thermo-lattice Boltzmann models,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 79–91, 1998.
- X. Shan, “Simulation of Rayleigh-Bernard convection using a lattice Boltzmann method,” Physical Review E, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 2780–2788, 1997.
- X. He, S. Chen, and G. D. Doolen, “A novel thermal model for the lattice Boltzmann method in incompressible limit,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 282–300, 1998.
- B. Gebhart, “Instability, transition, and turbulence in buoyancy-induced flows,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 5, pp. 213–246, 1973.
- N. C. Markatos and K. A. Pericleous, “Laminar and turbulent natural convection in an enclosed cavity,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 755–772, 1984.
- B. C. Shi and Z. L. Guo, “Thermal lattice BGK simulation of turbulent natural convection due to internal heat generation,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 9, no. 1-2, pp. 48–51, 2002.
- Y. Zhou, R. Zhang, I. Staroselsky, and H. Chen, “Numerical simulation of laminar and turbulent buoyancy-driven flows using a lattice Boltzmann based algorithm,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 47, no. 22, pp. 4869–4879, 2004.
- C. Treeck, E. Rank, M. Krafczyk, J. Tolke, and B. Nachtwey, “Extension of a hybrid thermal LBE scheme for large-eddy simulations of turbulent convective flows,” Computers and Fluids, vol. 35, no. 8-9, pp. 863–871, 2006.
- H. J. Liu, C. Zou, B. C. Shi, Z. Tian, L. Zhang, and C. Zheng, “Thermal lattice-BGK model based on large-eddy simulation of turbulent natural convection due to internal heat generation,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 49, no. 23-24, pp. 4672–4680, 2006.
- Z. Guo, C. Zheng, and B. Shi, “Discrete lattice effects on the forcing term in the lattice Boltzmann method,” Physical Review E, vol. 65, no. 4, Article ID 046308, pp. 1–6, 2002.
- S. Chen and M. Krafczyk, “Entropy generation in turbulent natural convection due to internal heat generation,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1978–1987, 2009.
- G. J. F. van Heijst and H. J. H. Clercx, “Laboratory modeling of geophysical vortices,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 41, pp. 143–164, 2009.
- S. Chen, J. Tolke, and M. Krafczyk, “A new method for the numerical solution of vorticity-streamfunction formulations,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 198, no. 3-4, pp. 367–376, 2008.
- S. Chen, J. Tolke, S. Geller, and M. Krafczyk, “Lattice Boltzmann model for incompressible axisymmetric flows,” Physical Review E, vol. 78, no. 4, Article ID 046703, 8 pages, 2008.
- B. C. Shi, N. He, and N. Wang, “A unified thermal lattice BGK model for boussinesq equations,” Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 5, no. 1-2, pp. 50–64, 2005.
- Y. Dong and P. Sagaut, “A study of time correlations in lattice Boltzmann-based large-eddy simulation of isotropic turbulence,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 20, no. 3, Article ID 035105, 11 pages, 2008.
- M. Krafczyk, J. Tolke, and L. Luo, “Large-eddy simulations with a multiple-relaxation-time LBE model,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 17, no. 1-2, pp. 33–39, 2003.
- G. Barakos, E. Mitsoulis, and D. Assimacopoulos, “Natural convection flow in a square cavity revisited: laminar and turbulent models with wall functions,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 695–719, 1994.
- G. de Vahl Davis, “Natural convection of air in a square cavity: a bench mark numerical solution,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 249–264, 1983.
- P. Le Quere, “Accurate solutions to the square thermally driven cavity at high Rayleigh number,” Computers and Fluids, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 29–41, 1991.
- T. J. Chung, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2002.