- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 254167, 6 pages
Interaction of Ethanol Vapour with Silane-Modified Surface of Corning Porous Glass CPG-10
Department of Chemistry, University of Botswana, Private Bag 00704 Gaborone, Botswana
Received 7 September 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editors: H. Pal, T. Panczyk, and D. Strout
Copyright © 2012 Misael Silas Nadiye-Tabbiruka. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. F. Vansant, P. Voort, and C. C. Vranken, Characterisation and Chemical Modification of Silica, Chapter 3 and 4, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1995.
- N. Hewitt, Compounding Precipitated Silica in Elastomers, William Andrews, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- P. G. Hall, R. T. Williams, and R. C. T. Slade, “Nuclear magnetic resonance and dielectric relaxation investigations of water sorbed by Spherisorb silica,” Journal of the Chemical Society, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 847–855, 1985.
- D. R. Halfpenny, D. M. Kane, R. N. Lamb, and B. Gong, “Surface modification of silica with ultraviolet laser radiation,” Applied Physics A, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 147–151, 2000.
- K. Seiichi, H. Yamamuchi, Y. Kajiyama, and T. Ishikawa, “Physical and chemical properties of inactive surface hydrogen-bonded hydroxyl groups,” Journal of the Chemical Society, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 2033–2038, 1984.
- M. L. Hair, Infrared Spectroscopy in Surface Chemistry, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
- L. H. Little, Infrared Spectra of Adsorbed Species, Academic press, London, UK, 1966.
- J. M. Haynes, “Porous media: structures and models,” in Colloid Science Vol. 2. Specialist Periodical Report, Chemical Society, London, UK, 1975.
- P. B. Sarawade, J. K. Kim, A. Hilonga, and H. T. Kim, “Preparation of hydrophobic mesoporous silica powder with a high specific surface area by surface modification of a wet-gel slurry and spray-drying,” Powder Technology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 288–294, 2010.
- X. K. Ma, N. H. Lee, H. J. Oh et al., “Surface modification and characterization of highly dispersed silica nanoparticles by a cationic surfactant,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 358, no. 1–3, pp. 172–176, 2010.
- Q. J. He, X. Z. Li, and D. Y. Meng, “Long-chain alkylsilane-modified porous silica beads as gpc packings,” Journal of Liquid Chromatography, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1223–1239, 1982.
- X. Li, J. Pennington, J. F. Stobaugh, and C. Schöneich, “Synthesis of sulfonamide- and sulfonyl-phenylboronic acid-modified silica phases for boronate affinity chromatography at physiological pH,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 372, no. 2, pp. 227–236, 2008.
- X. D. Liu, A. V. Bordunov, and C. A. Pohl, “Preparation and evaluation of a hydrolytically stable amide-embedded stationary phase,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1119, no. 1-2, pp. 128–134, 2006.
- C. C. Chu, N. Ueno, and T. Imae, “Solid-phase synthesis of amphiphilic dendron-surface-modified silica particles and their application toward water purification,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 2669–2676, 2008.
- A. F. Scott, J. E. Gray-Munro, and J. L. Shepherd, “Influence of coating bath chemistry on the deposition of 3-mercaptopropyl trimethoxysilane films deposited on magnesium alloy,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 343, no. 2, pp. 474–483, 2010.
- S. Radi, A. Attayibat, A. Ramdani, and M. Bacquet, “Surface modification of porous silica with bi-thiophene tripodal ligand and aplication to adsorption of toxic metal cations,” Phosphorus, Sulfur and Silicon and the Related Elements, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 232–241, 2010.
- M. A. Natal-Santiago and J. A. Dumesic, “Microcalorimetric, FTIR, and DFT studies of the adsorption of methanol, ethanol, and 2,2,2-trifluoroethanol on silica,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 252–268, 1998.
- M. Seman, J. N. Kondo, K. Domen, and S. T. Oyama, “Spillover and migration of alkoxy groups formed by adsorption of alcohols on silica-supported molybdenum oxide,” Chemistry Letters, no. 11, pp. 1082–1083, 2002.
- M. Mizukami and K. Kurihara, “Alcohol cluster formation on silica surfaces in cyclohexane,” Progress in Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 117, pp. 13–17, 2001.
- M. S. Nadiye-Tabbiruka, “Characterization of the silica surface. I Characterization of modified aerosil by using adsorption of benzene,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 281, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2003.
- R. J. Ward, A study of the effect of heat treatment on the physical properties of carbon black [Ph.D. thesis], University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1984.
- J. C. Morgan, [Ph.D. thesis], University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1976.
- M. S. Nadiye-Tabbiruka, “The kinetics of silylation of hydroxylated silica II CPG-10 porous glasses,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 278, no. 7, pp. 677–681, 2000.
- M. S. Nadiye-Tabbiruka, “Characterization of porous silica. 2. CPG-10 (VYCOR),” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 282, no. 9, pp. 1049–1053, 2004.
- S. Brunauer, L. S. Deming, W. E. Deming, and E. Teller, “On a theory of the van der Waals adsorption of gases,” Journal of The American Chemical Society, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 1723–1732, 1940.
- K. S. W. Sing, “Reporting physisorption data for gas/solid systems with special reference to the determination of surface area and porosity,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 2201–2218, 1982.
- V. Ya Davydov, A. V. Kiselev, and V. I. Lygin, “Infrared study of the adsorption of trimethylcarbinol on aerosil,” Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 37, p. 243, 1963.
- I. Y. Babkin, “Effects of degree of modification of the surface of silica by (CH3)3SiCl on the adsorption properties,” Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, vol. 129, p. 131, 1959.
- G. V. Rakhmatkariev, Kh. R. Zhalalov, and K. S. Akhmedov, “Calorimetric study of adsorption of gases on silicalite,” Uzbekskii Khimicheskii Zhurnal, vol. 3, pp. 68–70, 1988.
- I. Y. Babkin and A. V. Kiselev, “Adsorption and heats of adsorption of different vapours on aerosil surfaces modified by trimethylsilyl groups,” Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 1326, 1962.
- Y. Teraoka, S. Ishida, A. Yamasaki et al., “Synthesis and characterization of tin oxide-modified mesoporous silica by the repeated post-grafting of tin chloride,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 48, no. 1–3, pp. 151–158, 2001.
- Z. Qian, G. Hu, S. Zhang, and M. Yang, “Preparation and characterization of montmorillonite-silica nanocomposites: a sol-gel approach to modifying clay surfaces,” Physica B, vol. 403, no. 18, pp. 3231–3238, 2008.
- K. Kailasam, A. Fels, and K. Müller, “Octadecyl grafted MCM-41 silica spheres using trifunctionalsilane precursors-preparation and characterization,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 117, no. 1-2, pp. 136–147, 2009.
- L. Wang, A. Lu, Z. Xiao, J. Ma, and Y. Li, “Modification of nano-fibriform silica by dimethyldichlorosilane,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 255, no. 17, pp. 7542–7546, 2009.
- M. Odlyha, S. O. Akapo, and C. F. Simpson, “DSC study of chemically modified porous silica powders,” Thermochimica Acta C, vol. 134, pp. 457–461, 1988.
- L. Alzamora, S. Contreras, and J. Cortés, “Surface methylation of aerosil and its influence on the adsorption of water,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 503–507, 1975.
- E. F. Hare and W. A. Zisman, “Autophobic liquids and the properties of their adsorbed films,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 59, p. 335, 1955.
- D. Basmadjian and K. P. Chu, “On the pore structure of vycor glass,” Canadian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 42, p. 946, 1964.
- M. S. Nadiye-Tabbiruka, Organically modified silica surfaces, kinetics models and properties [Ph.D. thesis], University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1991.