- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 286365, 6 pages
Appropriate Patient Selection in the Management of Common Bile Duct Stones: When Not to Do ERCP
1Centre for Liver Research and NIHR Biomedical Research Unit, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
2Department of Gastroenterology, Horton General Hospital, Oxford Road, Banbury OX16 9AL, UK
3Department of Clinical Radiology, Horton General Hospital, Oxford Road, Banbury OX16 9AL, UK
4Department of Surgery, Horton General Hospital, Oxford Road, Banbury OX16 9AL, UK
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 20 April 2012
Academic Editors: M. G. Chiofalo, G. I. Salti, R. J. Swijnenburg, M. Turina, and E. Wiebke
Copyright © 2012 Palak Jitendrakumar Trivedi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Guarise, S. Baltieri, P. Mainardi, and N. Faccioli, “Diagnostic accuracy of MRCP in choledocholithiasis,” La Radiologia Medica, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 239–251, 2005.
- N. Holzknecht, J. Gauger, M. Sackmann et al., “Breath-hold MR cholangiography with snapshot techniques: prospective comparison with endoscopic retrograde cholangiography,” Radiology, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 657–664, 1998.
- D. J. Lomas, P. W. P. Bearcroft, and A. E. Gimson, “MR cholangiopancreatography: prospective comparison of a breath-hold 2D projection technique with diagnostic ERCP,” European Radiology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1411–1417, 1999.
- M. Sugiyama, Y. Atomi, and J. Hachiya, “Magnetic resonance cholangiography using half-Fourier acquisition for diagnosing choledocholithiasis,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 1886–1890, 1998.
- J. C. Varghese, M. A. Farrell, G. Courtney, H. Osborne, F. E. Murray, and M. J. Lee, “A prospective comparison of magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography with endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in the evaluation of patients with suspected biliary tract disease,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 513–520, 1999.
- E. J. Williams, S. Taylor, P. Fairclough et al., “Are we meeting the standards set for endoscopy? Results of a large-scale prospective survey of endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatograph practice,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 821–829, 2007.
- M. L. Freeman, D. B. Nelson, S. Sherman, et al., “Complications of endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 13, pp. 909–918, 1996.
- S. Loperfido, G. Angelini, G. Benedetti et al., “Major early complications from diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP: a prospective multicenter study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1998.
- E. Masci, G. Toti, A. Mariani et al., “Complications of diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP: a prospective multicenter study,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 417–423, 2001.
- M. Christensen, P. Matzen, S. Schulze, and J. Rosenberg, “Complications of ERCP: a prospective study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 721–731, 2004.
- P. B. Cotton, “Analysis of 59 ERCP lawsuits; Mainly about indications,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 378–382, 2006.
- P. B. Cotton, “Twenty more ERCP lawsuits: why? Poor indications and communications,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 4, p. 904, 2010.
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Standards of Practice Committee, “Appropriate use of gastrointestinal endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 831–837, 2000.
- D. G. Adler, T. H. Baron, R. E. Davila et al., “ASGE guideline: the role of ERCP in diseases of the biliary tract and the pancreas,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2005.
- S. Cohen, B. R. Bacon, J. A. Berlin et al., “National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Conference Statement: ERCP for diagnosis and therapy, January 14–16, 2002,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 803–809, 2002.
- E. J. Williams, J. Green, I. Beckingham, R. Parks, D. Martin, and M. Lombard, “Guidelines on the management of common bile duct stones (CBDS),” Gut, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 1004–1021, 2008.
- P. A. C. Abboud, P. F. Malet, J. A. Berlin et al., “Predictors of common bile duct stones prior to cholecystectomy: a meta-analysis,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 450–459, 1996.
- A. N. Barkun, J. S. Barkun, G. M. Fried et al., “Useful predictors of bile duct stones in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. McGill Gallstone Treatment Group,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 220, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 1994.
- T. Nathan, J. Kjeldsen, and O. B. Schaffalitzky de Muckadell, “Prediction of therapy in primary endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography,” Endoscopy, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 527–534, 2004.
- J. E. Onken, S. R. Brazer, G. M. Eisen et al., “Predicting the presence of choledocholithiasis in patients with symptomatic cholelithiasis,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 762–767, 1996.