- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 291285, 13 pages
Effect of Tillage, Irrigation, and Nutrient Levels on Growth and Yield of Sweet Potato in Rice Fallow
1Regional Centre of Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Bhubaneswar 751019, India
2Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Thiruvananthapuram 695017, India
Received 15 August 2011; Accepted 20 September 2011
Academic Editor: L. Mateos
Copyright © 2012 M. Nedunchezhiyan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- CRRI, Annual Report, Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, India, 2008.
- R. C. Ray and K. I. Tomlins, Sweet Potato: Post Harvest Aspects in Food, Feed and Industry, Nova Science, 2010.
- R. Bhattacharyya, S. Kundu, S. C. Pandey, K. P. Singh, and H. S. Gupta, “Tillage and irrigation effects on crop yields and soil properties under the rice-wheat system in the Indian Himalayas,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 993–1002, 2008.
- R. P. Tripathi, P. Sharma, and S. Singh, “Influence of tillage and crop residue on soil physical properties and yields of rice and wheat under shallow water table conditions,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 92, no. 1-2, pp. 221–226, 2007.
- S. Jongruaysup, P. Namwong, A. Tiensiriroek, et al., “Minimum tillage for cassava in Thailand,” in Cassava Research and Development in Asia–Exploring New Opportunities for an Ancient Crop, Proceedings of the 7th Regional Workshop, held in Bangkok, Thailand, Oct 28- Nov 1, 2002, pp. 251–263, CIAT, Bangkon, Thailand, 2007.
- A. Tongglum, P. Suriyapan, and R. H. Howeler, “Cassava agronomy research and adoption of improved practices in Thailand–major achievements during the past 35 years,” in Cassava’s Potential in the 21st Century: Present Situation and Future Research and Development Needs, Proceedings of the 6th Regional Workshop, held in Hochi Minh City Vietnam, Feb 21-25, 2000, pp. 228–258, CIAT, Bangkok, Thailand, 2001.
- Z. Weite, L. Xiong, L. Kimian, et al., “Cassava agronomy research in China,” in Cassava Breeding, Agronomy and Farmers Participatory Research in Asia, Proceedings of the 5th Regional Workshop held in Danzhou, Hainan, China, Nov 3-8, 1996, R. H. Howeler, Ed., pp. 191–210, CIAT, Bangkok, Thailand, 1998.
- R. H. Howeler, “Cassava agronomy research in Asia: has it benefitted cassava farmers,” in Cassava’s Potential in the 21st Century: Present Situation and Future Research and Development Needs, Proceedings of the 6th Regional Workshop, held in Hochi Minh City Vietnam, Feb 21-25, 2000, pp. 345–376, CIAT, Bangkok, Thailand, 2001.
- N. U. Ndaeyo, E. O. Ekpe, S. O. Edem, and U. G. Umoh, “Growth and yield responses of Colocasia esculenta and Xanthosoma saggitifolium to tillage practices in Uyo, south-eastern Nigeria,” Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 194–198, 2003.
- D. L. Plucknett, H. C. Ezumah, and R. S. de la Pena, “Mechanization of taro (Colocasia esculenta) culture in Hawaii,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Symposium of International Society of Tropical Root Crops, pp. 286–292, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1973.
- T. M. Agbede, “Nutrient availability and cocoyam yield under different tillage practices,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2008.
- Y. L. Castroverde, Cassava production: influence of tillage, weed control systems, fertilizer sources and harvest age, Ph.D. thesis, UPLB College, Laguna, Philippines, 1983.
- J. R. Pardales Jr., “Effect of croppings and pre planting tillage systems on the yield of cassava and mung bean intercrop,” Philippine Journal of Crop Science, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 1986.
- M. A. Liebig, D. L. Tanaka, and B. J. Wienhold, “Tillage and cropping effects on soil quality indicators in the northern Great Plains,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 131–141, 2004.
- P. Sharma, R. P. Tripathi, and S. Singh, “Tillage effects on soil physical properties and performance of rice-wheat-cropping system under shallow water table conditions of Tarai, Northern India,” European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 327–335, 2005.
- R. W. Miller and R. L. Donahue, Soils: An Introduction to Soils and Plant Growth, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, India, 1992.
- D. J. Watson, “The physiological basis of variation in yield,” Advances in Agronomy, vol. 4, pp. 101–145, 1952.
- J. Doorenbos and W. O. Pruitt, “Guidelines for predicting crop water requirements,” FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 23, FAO, Rome, Italy, 1977.
- D. Lenka, Irrigation and Drainage, Kalyani, Ludhiana, India, 3rd edition, 2005.
- C. A. Black, Methods of Soil Analysis. Part I. Monograph 9, Agronomy Series, Madison. Wis, USA, 1965.
- F. Gomes and M. K. V. Carr, “Effects of water availability and vine harvesting frequency on the productivity of sweet potato in southern Mozambique. II. Crop water use,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 39–54, 2003.
- N. U. Ndaeyo and E. A. Aiyelari, “Evaluation of different tillage practices for monocultural cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) production in Ibadan, South-western Nigeria,” Tripicultura, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 195–202, 1997.
- M. Nedunchezhiyan, D. Srinivasulu Reddy, and J. Suryaprakasa Rao, “Characteristics of dry matter production and partitioning in sweet potato,” in Proceedings of the National Seminar on Physiological Interventions for Improved Crop Productivity and Quality: Opportunities and Constraints, P. V. Reddy, Ed., pp. 110–115, Tirupati, India, 2004.
- M. Nedunchezhiyan and G. Byju, “Effect of planting season on growth and yield of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) varieties,” Journal of Root Crops, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 111–114, 2005.
- M. Nedunchezhiyan and D. S. Reddy, “Nitrogen management in sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) under rainfed conditions,” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 449–454, 2002.
- A. Sajjapongse and Y. C. Roan, “Physical factors affecting root yield of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam),” in Sweet Potato Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium, R. L. Villareal and T. D. Griggs, Eds., pp. 203–204, AVRDC, Taiwan, 1982.
- R. Kumar and D. S. Yadav, “Effect of zero and minimum tillage in conjunction with nitrogen management in wheat (Triticum aestivum) after rice (Oryza sativa),” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 54–57, 2005.
- M. Gupta, A. S. Bali, B. C. Sharma, D. Kachroo, and R. Bharat, “Productivity, nutrient uptake and economics of wheat (Triticum aestivum) under various tillage and fertilizer management practices,” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 127–130, 2007.
- N. Jain, J. S. Mishra, M. L. Kewat, and V. Jain, “Effect of tillage and herbicides on grain yield and nutrient uptake by wheat (Triticum aestivum) and weeds,” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 131–134, 2007.
- G. Alem, “Evaluation of tillage practices for soil moisture conservation and maize production in dryland Ethiopia,” Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa and Latin America, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 9–13, 1993.
- O. Singh, “Response of sunflower (Helianthus annuus) to date of sowing and irrigation,” Agronomy Digest, vol. 4, pp. 39–40, 2004.
- R. K. Thakuria, H. Singh, and T. Singh, “Effect of irrigation and antitranspirant on biometric components, seed yield and plant water-use of spring sunflower (Helianthus annuus),” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 121–123, 2004.
- R. P. Yadav, M. L. Tripathi, and S. K. Trivedi, “Effect of irrigation and nutrients levels on productivity and profitability of sunflower (Helianthus annuus),” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 332–335, 2009.
- Y. Yanfu, T. Jialan, Z. Yunchu, and Q. Ruilian, “Breeding for early maturing sweet potato variety,” in Sweet Potato Research and Development for Small Farmers, K. T. Mackay, M. K. Palomer, and R. T. Sanico, Eds., pp. 67–82, SEAMEO-SEARCA, College, Laguna, Philippines, 1989.
- S. Roy Chowdhury, R. Singh, D. K. Kundu, E. Antony, A. K. Thakur, and H. N. Verma, “Growth, dry-matter partitioning and yield of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) as influenced by soil mechanical impedance and mineral nutrition under different irrigation regimes,” Advances in Horticultural Science, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2002.
- M. Ishaq, A. Hassan, M. Saeed, M. Ibrahim, and R. Lal, “Subsoil compaction effects on crops in Punjab, Pakistan i. Soil physical properties and crop yield,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 59, no. 1-2, pp. 57–65, 2001.
- V. Sumathi and D. S. K. Rao, “Effect of organic and inorganic sources of nitrogen with different irrigation schedules on growth and yield of sunflower (Helianthus annuus),” Indian Journal of Agronomy, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 77–79, 2007.
- M. Nedunzhiyan, Studies on time of planting, genotypes and integrated nitrogen management for rainfed sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.), Ph.D. thesis, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad, India, 2001.
- S. K. Naskar, J. J. Gupta, M. Nedunchezhiyan, and R. K. Bardoli, “Evaluation of sweet potato tubers in pig ration,” Journal of Root Crops, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 50–53, 2008.
- J. A. Woolfe, Sweet Potato: An Untapped Food Resource, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- O. A. Olorunnisomo, “An economic analysis of sweet potato production for sheep feeding in the southwest of Nigeria,” Journal of Root Crops, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 2006.
- L. V. An, B. E. Frankow-Lindberg, and J. E. Lindberg, “Effect of harvesting interval and defoliation on yield and chemical composition of leaves, stems and tubers of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L. (Lam.)) plant parts,” Field Crops Research, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2003.
- D. Foulkes, D. Dcb Hovell, and F. D. Prewston, “Sweet potato forage as cattle feed: voluntary intake and digestibility of mixtures of sweet potato forage and sugarcane,” Tropical Animal Production, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 140–144, 1978.