- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 293478, 8 pages
Master Franchising as Foreign Entry Mode: Evidences from the Spanish Franchise System
Department of Business Administration, European University of Madrid, Calle Tajo, s/n Urb. El Bosque, Villaviciosa de Odón, 28670 Madrid, Spain
Received 25 April 2012; Accepted 13 August 2012
Academic Editors: B. Junquera, J. Menon, and M. D. Ramirez
Copyright © 2012 Veronica Baena. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Chang and P. M. Rosenzweig, “The choice of entry mode in sequential foreign direct investment,” Strategic Management Journal, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 747–776, 2001.
- P. Herrmann and D. K. Datta, “CEO successor characteristics and the choice of foreign market entry mode: an empirical study,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 551–569, 2002.
- I. Alon, “Executive insight, evaluating the market size for service franchising in emerging markets,” International Journal of Emerging Markets, vol. 1, pp. 9–20, 2006.
- Y. C. Chiao, F. Y. Lo, and C. M. Yu, “Choosing between wholly-owned subsidiaries and joint ventures of MNCs from an emerging market,” International Marketing Review, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 338–365, 2010.
- C. M. Moore, A. M. Doherty, and S. A. Doyle, “Flagship stores as a market entry method: the perspective of luxury fashion retailing,” European Journal of Marketing, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 139–161, 2010.
- R. Khemakhem, “Explaining the entry mode choice among Tunisian exporting firms: development and test of an integrated model,” European Journal of Marketing, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 223–244, 2010.
- V. Baena, “Modeling global franchising in emerging markets: an entry mode analysis,” Journal of East-West Business, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 164–188, 2009.
- T. Vaishnav and L. Altinay, “The franchise partner selection process and implications for India,” Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 52–65, 2009.
- S. Choo, T. Mazzarol, and G. Soutar, “The selection of international retail franchisees in East Asia,” Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 380–397, 2007.
- F. J. Contractor and S. K. Kundu, “Modal choice in a world of alliances: analyzing organizational forms in the international hotel sector,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 325–358, 1998.
- I. Alon, Franchising Globally, Palgrave MacMillan, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- V. Baena, “Market conditions driving international franchising in emerging countries,” International Journal of Emerging Markets, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 49–71, 2012.
- B. Quinn and A. M. Doherty, “Power and control in international retail franchising: evidence from theory and practice,” International Marketing Review, vol. 17, no. 4-5, pp. 354–372, 2000.
- A. M. Doherty, “The internationalization of retailing: factors influencing the choice of franchising as a market entry strategy,” International Journal of Service Industry Management, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 184–205, 2007.
- I. Alon and D. McKee, “Towards a macro environmental model of international franchising,” Multinational Business Review, vol. 7, pp. 76–82, 1999.
- B. Elango, “Are franchisors with international operations different from those who are domestic market oriented?” Journal of Small Business Management, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 179–193, 2007.
- V. Baena, “The effect of corruption on global franchising in emerging markets,” International Journal of Business and Emerging Market, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 57–74, 2011.
- S. C. Peng and R. T. Justis, “Franchise management in East Asia,” The Academy of Management Perspectives, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 75–85, 1990.
- P. Deng, “Determinants of full-control mode in China, an integrative approach,” American Business Review, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 113–123, 2003.
- V. Sharma and M. Erramilli, “Resource-based explanation of entry mode choice,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, vol. 12, pp. 1–18, 2004.
- O. E. Williamson, Economic Institutions of Capitalism, Free Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- J. F. Puck, D. Holtbrügge, and A. T. Mohr, “Beyond entry mode choice: explaining the conversion of joint ventures into wholly owned subsidiaries in the People's Republic of China,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 388–404, 2009.
- O. E. Williamson, Markets and Hierarchies, Analysis and Antitrust Implications, Free Press, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- E. H. Aliouche and U. A. Schlentrich, “Towards a strategic model of global franchise expansion,” Journal of Retailing, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 345–365, 2011.
- Y. R. Chen, C. Yang, S. M. Hsu, and Y. D. Wang, “Entry mode choice in China's regional distribution markets: institution vs. transaction costs perspectives,” Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 702–713, 2009.
- D. H. B. Welsh, I. Alon, and C. M. Falbe, “An examination of international retail franchising in emerging markets,” Journal of Small Business Management, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 130–149, 2006.
- C. M. Sashi and D. P. Karuppur, “Franchising in global markets: towards a conceptual framework,” International Marketing Review, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 499–524, 2002.
- S. Eroglu, “The internationalisation process of franchise systems, a conceptual model,” International Marketing Review, vol. 9, pp. 19–30, 1992.
- S. A. Shane, “Why franchise companies expand overseas,” Journal of Business Venturing, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 73–88, 1996.
- D. Dow and J. Larimo, “Challenging the conceptualization and measurement of distance and international experience in entry mode choice research,” Journal of International Marketing, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 74–98, 2009.
- S. Agarwal and S. N. Ramaswami, “Choice of foreign market entry mode, Impact of ownership, location, and internalization factors,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 23, pp. 1–27, 1992.
- B. S. Javorcik and S. J. Wei, “Corruption and cross-border investment in emerging markets: firm-level evidence,” Journal of International Money and Finance, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 605–624, 2009.
- N. M. Jensen, Q. Li, and A. Rahman, “Understanding corruption and firm responses in cross-national firm-level surveys,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1481–1504, 2010.
- L. E. Brouthers, Y. Gao, and J. P. McNicol, “Corruption and market attractiveness influences on different types of FDI,” Strategic Management Journal, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 673–680, 2008.
- M. Habib and L. Zurawicki, “Corruption and foreign direct investment,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 291–307, 2002.
- S. H. Rahman, “International market selection process, an investigation of the relevant of business operating environment,” Journal of International Business Research, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 73–86, 2006.
- M. Tétrault, “Economic conditions: doing business in the Middle East: politics and economic crisis in Jordan and Kuwait,” The Middle East Journal, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 323–324, 2005.
- G. Hofstede, Culture's Consequences, Comparing Values, Behaviours, Institutions, and Organizations Across Nations, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2001.
- G. Hofstede, Culture’s Consequences, International Differences in Work-Related Values, Sage Publications, Beverly Hills, Calif, USA, 1980.
- B. Kogut and H. Singh, “The effect of national culture on the choice of entry mode2,” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 411–432, 1988.
- A. H. L. Slangen and R. J. M. van Tulder, “Cultural distance, political risk, or governance quality? Towards a more accurate conceptualization and measurement of external uncertainty in foreign entry mode research,” International Business Review, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 276–291, 2009.
- M. Yamin and S. Golesorkhi, “Cultural distance and the pattern of equity ownership structure in international joint ventures,” International Business Review, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 457–467, 2010.
- R. Hoffman and J. Preble, “Global diffusion of franchising, A country level examination,” Multinational Business Review, vol. 9, pp. 66–75, 2001.
- N. Alexander, M. Rhodes, and H. Myers, “International market selection: measuring actions instead of intentions,” Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 424–434, 2006.
- S. Djankov, R. La Porta, F. Lopez-de-Silanes, and A. Shleifer, “Courts,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 453–517, 2003.
- D. Welsh and I. Alon, International Franchising in Emerging Markets, Central and Eastern Europe and Latin America, CCH, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2001.
- H. G. Barkema and F. Vermeulen, “International expansion through start-up or acquisitions: A learning perspective,” Academy of Management Journal, vol. 41, pp. 7–26, 1998.