- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 324235, 10 pages
The Florida Melanoma Trial I: A Prospective Multicenter Phase I/II Trial of Postoperative Hypofractionated Adjuvant Radiotherapy with Concurrent Interferon-Alfa-2b in the Treatment of Advanced Stage III Melanoma with Long-Term Toxicity Follow-Up
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
221st Century Oncology Translational Research Consortium, Scottsdale, AZ 85251, USA
3Department of Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
4Department of Cutaneous Oncology, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
5Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33146, USA
6Department of Biostatistics, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
7Health Outcomes & Behavior Program, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Received 8 September 2011; Accepted 16 October 2011
Academic Editors: A. Bensussan and D. Saverino
Copyright © 2012 Steven E. Finkelstein et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, J. Xu, and E. Ward, “Cancer statistics, 2010,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 277–300, 2010.
- “Reporting of cancer survival and end results,” in American Joint Committee on Cancer: Manual for Staging of Cancer, O. H. Beahrs and M. H. Myers, Eds., p. 117, J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 1983.
- R. M. Byers, “The role of modified neck dissection in the treatment of cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 121, no. 11, pp. 1338–1341, 1986.
- C. M. Balch, S. Soong, T. M. Murad, et al., “A multifactorial analysis of melanoma: IV. Prognostic factors in 200 melanoma patients with distant metastases (stage III),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 126–134, 1983.
- J. M. Kirkwood, M. H. Strawderman, M. S. Ernstoff, T. J. Smith, E. C. Borden, and R. H. Blum, “Interferon α-2b adjuvant therapy of high-risk resected cutaneous melanoma: the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial EST 1684,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 7–17, 1996.
- J. M. Kirkwood, J. G. Ibrahim, V. K. Sondak et al., “High- and low-dose interferon α-2b in high-risk melanoma: first analysis of intergroup trial E1690/S9111/C9190,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2444–2458, 2000.
- J. M. Kirkwood, J. G. Ibrahim, J. A. Sosman et al., “High-dose interferon α-2b significantly prolongs relapse-free and overall survival compared with the GM2-KLH/QS-21 vaccine in patients with resected stage IIB-III melanoma: results of intergroup trial E1694/S9512/C509801,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 2370–2380, 2001.
- K. K. Ang, R. M. Byers, L. J. Peters et al., “Regional radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for head and neck malignant melanoma,” Archives of Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 169–172, 1990.
- A. Trotti and L. J. Peters, “The role of radiotherapy in the primary management of cutaneous melanoma,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 1992.
- B. Burmeister, M. A. Henderson, J. F. Thompson, et al., “Adjuvant radiotherapy improves regional (lymph node field) control in melanoma patients after lymphadenectomy: results of an intergroup randomized trial (TROG 02.01/ANZMTG 01.02),” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 75, supplement 3, p. S2, 2009.
- H. M. Maasilta, P. Maasilta, M. Hallman, and K. Mattson, “The effect of Interferon and radiation therapy on tumor response and radiation-induced lung injury in small cell lung cancer,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 151, no. 4, p. 850, 1995.
- P. Maasilta, L. R. Holsti, M. Halme, L. Kivisaari, K. Cantell, and K. Mattson, “Natural alpha-interferon in combination with hyperfractionated radiotherapy in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 863–868, 1992.
- W. Hoffmann, M. Schiebe, P. Hirnle et al., “13-cis retinoic acid and interferon-α +/- irradiation in the treatment of squamous-cell carcinomas,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 475–477, 1997.
- E. Selman, P. Lopez-Saura, E. Neninger, et al., “Multicenter randomized clinical trial of alpha Interferon and radiotherapy in non-operable non-small cell lung cancer,” Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research, vol. 10, supplement 1, p. 132, 1990.
- C. Stevens, J. Torrisi, C. Berg, et al., “The use of radiotherapy with alpha-2b Interferon sensitization in locally advanced unresectable non-small cell carcinima of the lung—a pilot study,” in Proceedings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO '90), Washington, DC, USA, May 1990.
- E. Verastegui, J. G. DeLa Garza, A. Mota, et al., “Five year survival of patients with advanced stages IIIb/IV cervical carcinoma with combined treatment using radiation therapy and alpha 2b Interferon,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Congress on Anti-Cancer Chemotherapy, Paris, France, 1995.
- A. Rahn, S. Moss, I. A. Adamietz, et al., “Pronounced dermatological side effects following irradiation (RT) given with interferon α-2A (IFN) plus retinoic acid (RA),” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 31, supplement 6, p. S126, 1995.
- D. Antonadou, M. Synodinou, P. Iliopoulos, M. Katsoulis, and N. Throuvalas, “Combined radiotherapy and immunotherapy in advanced stages of cancer of the uterine cervix,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 31, supplement 6, p. S248, 1995.
- J. M. Kirkwood, J. Manola, J. Ibrahim, V. Sondak, M. S. Ernstoff, and U. Rao, “A pooled analysis of ECOG and Intergroup trials of adjuvant high-dose interferon for melanoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1670–1677, 2004.
- A. M. M. Eggermont, “Immunotherapy: vaccine trials in melanoma-time for reflection,” Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 256–258, 2009.
- K. Wheatley, N. J. Ives, and P. Lorigan, “Does adjuvant vaccine therapy really have activity in malignant melanoma?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 29, pp. 4693–4695, 2007.
- L. J. Hazard, W. T. Sause, and R. D. Noyes, “Combined adjuvant radiation and interferon-alpha 2B therapy in high-risk melanoma patients: the potential for increased radiation toxicity,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 796–800, 2002.
- C. Conill, S. Jorcano, J. Domingo-Domènech et al., “Toxicity of combined treatment of adjuvant irradiation and interferon α2b in high-risk melanoma patients,” Melanoma Research, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 304–309, 2007.
- D. E. Gyorki, J. Ainslie, M. L. Joon, M. A. Henderson, M. Millward, and G. A. McArthur, “Concurrent adjuvant radiotherapy and interferon-α2b for resected high risk stage III melanoma—a retrospective single centre study,” Melanoma Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 223–230, 2004.
- N. P. Nguyen, S. Sallah, C. Childress, M. R. Salehpour, and U. Karlsson, “Interferon-α combined with radiotherapy in the treatment of unresectable melanoma,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 261–265, 2001.
- B. A. Guadagnolo and G. K. Zagars, “Adjuvant radiation therapy for high-risk nodal metastases from cutaneous melanoma,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 409–416, 2009.
- B. Beadle, A. Guadagnolo, M. Ballo et al., “Radiation therapy field extent for adjuvant treatment of axillary metastases from malignant melanoma,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 1376–1382, 2009.
- D. Chang, R. Amdur, C. G. Morris, and W. M. Mendenhall, “Adjuvant radiotherapy for cutaneous melanoma: comparing hypofractionation to conventional fractionation,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1051–1055, 2006.
- S. E. Finkelstein, D. M. Heimann, C. A. Klebanoff et al., “Bedside to bench and back again: how animal models are guiding the development of new immunotherapies for cancer,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 333–337, 2004.
- S. E. Finkelstein, D. Gabrilovich, M. Bui, et al., “Combination of External Beam Radiation (EBRT) with intratumoral injection of dendritic cells as neo-adjuvant treatment of high-risk soft tissue sarcoma patients,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 924–932, 2012.
- S. E. Finkelstein, F. Rodriguez, M. Dunn, et al., “Knowing when to say when: prospective serial assessment of apoptosis, cell death, and lymphocyte infiltrates during the first clinical experience with intraprostatic autologous dendritic cell injection coordinated with radiation therapy,” Immunotherapy. In press.
- S. E. Finkelstein, R. Timmerman, W. H. McBride, et al., “The confluence of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy and tumor immunology,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2011, Article ID 439752, 7 pages, 2011.