- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Software Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 324838, 20 pages
Team Exploratory Testing Sessions
1R&D, F-Secure, 90580 Oulu, Finland
2Department of Information Processing Science, University of Oulu, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Received 6 December 2011; Accepted 17 January 2012
Academic Editors: J. Fernandez-Ramil and H. Siy
Copyright © 2012 Soili Saukkoriipi and Ilkka Tervonen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Bach, “Exploratory Testing Explained,” 2003, http://www.satisfice.com/articles/et-article.pdf.
- R. Black, Pragmatic Software Testing. Becoming an Effective and Efficient Test Professional, Wiley, Indianapolis, Ind, USA, 2007.
- G. J. Myers, The Art of Software Testing, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- J. Itkonen, Do test cases really matter? An experiment comparing test case based and exploratory testing, Helsinki University of Technology. Department of Computer Science and Engineering, 2008.
- A. Abran, J. W. Moore, P. Bourque, R. Dupuis, and L. L. Tripp, SWEBOK. Guide to the software engineering body of knowledge: 2004 version, Angela Burgess, 2004.
- M. Bolton, “Exploratory testing explained,” in Agile Testing. A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams, L. Crispin and J. Gregory, Eds., pp. 195–198, Addison-Wesley, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2009.
- C. Kaner, “A tutorial in exploratory testing,” 2008, http://www.kaner.com/pdfs/QAIExploring.pdf.
- J. Kohl, “Exploratory Testing on Agile Teams,” 2005, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=405514.
- Ja. Bach, “Where does exploratory testing fit?” 2001, http://www.satisfice.com/articles/where_fits.shtml.
- Ja. Bach, “General functionality and stability test procedure for certified for Microsoft Windows logo,” 1999, http://www.satisfice.com/tools/procedure.pdf.
- J. Itkonen and K. Rautiainen, “Exploratory testing: a multiple case study,” in International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering (ISESE '05), pp. 84–93, November 2005.
- M. E. Fagan, “Design and code inspections to reduce errors in program development,” IBM Systems Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 182–211, 1976.
- E. Yourdon, Structured walkthroughs, Yourdon Press, 1978.
- K. E. Wiegers, Peer Reviews in Software: A Practical Guide, Addison-Wesley, Boston, Mass, USA, 2002.
- O. Laitenberger, “Cost-effective detection of software defects through perspective-based inspections,” Empirical Software Engineering, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 81–84, 2001.
- F. Shull, I. Rus, and V. Basili, “How perspective-based reading can improve requirements inspections,” Computer, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 73–79, 2000.
- J. Tuomikoski, Absorbing software testing into the Scrum method, University of Oulu. Department of Information Processing Science, 2008.
- J. Hagar, “Technique: exploratory testing and information evaluation,” in Agile Testing. A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams, L. Crispin and J. Gregory, Eds., pp. 198–200, Addison-Wesley, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2009.
- G. I. Susman and R. D. Evered, “An assessment of the scientific merits of action research,” Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 23, pp. 582–603, 1978.
- P. Runeson and M. Höst, “Guidelines for conducting and reporting case study research in software engineering,” Empirical Software Engineering, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 131–164, 2009.
- R. L. Baskerville and A. T. Wood-Harper, “A critical perspective on action research as a method for information systems research,” Journal of Information Technology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 235–246, 1996.
- D. E. Avison, F. Lau, M. D. Myers, and P. A. Nielsen, “Action research,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 94–97, 1999.
- A. R. Hevner, S. T. March, J. Park, and S. Ram, “Design science in information systems research,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 75–105, 2004.
- L. Crispin and J. Gregory, Agile Testing. A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams, Addison-Wesley, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2009.
- Ja. Bach, “Exploratory Testing and the Planning Myth,” 2001, http://www.satisfice.com/articles/et_myth.shtml.
- B. Boehm and V. R. Basili, “Software defect reduction top 10 list,” Computer, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 135–137, 2001.
- J. R. Hackman, “The design of work teams,” in Handbook of Organizational Behavior, J. Lorsch, Ed., pp. 315–342, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1987.
- J. M. Carroll and A. P. Aaronson, “Learning by doing with simulated intelligent help,” Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery, vol. 31, pp. 1064–1079, 1988.
- J. Rieman, “A field study of exploratory learning strategies,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 189–218, 1996.
- J. M. Carroll, et al., “Exploring a word processor,” Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 283–307, 1985.
- B. Wong and M. Bhatti, “The influence of team relationships on software quality,” in ICSE Workshop on Software Quality (WoSQ '09), pp. 1–8, May 2009.
- A. Spillner, T. Linz, and H. Schaefer, Software Testing Foundations. A Study Guide for the Certified Tester Exam, Rocky Nook, Santa Barbara, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- J. R. Katzenbach and D. K. Smith, The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High Performance Organization, HarperBusiness, London, UK, 1999.
- E. Carmel, Global Software Teams. Collaboration Across Borders and Time Zones, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 1999.
- T. DeMarco, Controlling Software Projects: Management, Measurement, and Estimates, Yourdon Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- Jo. Bach, “Session-Based Test Management,” 2000, http://www.satisfice.com/articles/sbtm.pdf.
- J. Lyndsay and N. van Eeden, “Adventures in session-based testing,” 2003, http://www.workroom-productions.com/papers/AiSBTv1.2.pdf.
- C. Kaner, J. Bach, and B. Pettichord, Lessons Learned in Software Testing. A Context-Driven Approach, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- A. Stellman and J. Greene, Beautiful Teams. Inspiring and Cautionary Tales from Veteran Team Leaders, O’Reilly, Beijing, China, 2009.
- R. S. Pressman, Software Engineering. A Practitioner’s Approach, McGraw-Hill, Boston, Mass, USA, 7th edition, 2010.
- J. A. Whittaker, Exploratory Software Testing. Tips, Tricks, Tours, and Techniques to Guide Test Design, Addison Wesley, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2009.