- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 364875, 5 pages
Contemporary Surgical Management of Severe Sialorrhea in Children
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Christchurch Hospital, 2 Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
Received 19 November 2011; Accepted 11 January 2012
Academic Editor: N. E. Cranswick
Copyright © 2012 Jeremy Hornibrook and Neil Cochrane. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. R. Harris and A. H. Purdy, “Drooling and its management in cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 25, pp. 804–814, 1987.
- J. F. Tahmassebi and M. E. J. Curzon, “The cause of drooling in children with cerebral palsy—Hypersalivation or swallowing defect?” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 106–111, 2003.
- A. Lespargot, M. F. Langevin, S. Muller, and S. Guillemont, “Swallowing disturbances associated with drooling in cerebral-palsied children,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 298–304, 1993.
- J. C. Arvedson and L. Brodsy, “Drooling in children,” in Paediatric Swallowing and Feeding: Assessment and Management, Dysphagia series, pp. 495–525, 1993.
- T. F. Wilkie, “The problem of drooling in cerebral palsy: a surgical approach,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 1967.
- T. F. Wilkie and G. S. Brody, “The surgical treatment of drooling: a ten year review,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 791–797, 1977.
- L. W. Glass, G. L. Nobel, and T. R. Vecchione, “Treatment of uncontrolled drooling by bilateral excision of submaxillary glands and parotid duct ligations,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 523–526, 1978.
- D. F. Dundas and R. A. Peterson, “Surgical treatment of drooling by bilateral parotid duct ligation and submandibular gland resection,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 1979.
- W. P. Shirley, J. S. Hill, A. L. Woolley, and B. J. Wiatrak, “Success and complications of four-duct ligation for sialorrhea,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2003.
- R. G. Michel, K. A. Johnson, and C. N. Patterson, “Parasympathetic nerve section for control of sialorrhea,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 94–97, 1977.
- S. C. Parsisier, A. Blitzer, and W. J. Binder, “Tympanic neurectomy and corda tympanectomy for the control of drooling,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 104, pp. 273–277, 1978.
- T. F. Wilkie, “On the bad effects of nerve sections for the control of drooling,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 439–440, 1977.
- C. Ekedahl, “Surgical treatment of drooling,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 215–220, 1974.
- W. S. Crysdale, “The drooling patient: evaluation and current surgical options,” Laryngoscope, vol. 90, no. 5 I, pp. 775–783, 1980.
- W. S. Crysdale, “Submandibular duct relocation for drooling,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 286–288, 1982.
- W. S. Crysdale and A. White, “Submandibular duct relocation for drooling: a 10-year experience with 194 patients,” Otolaryngology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 1989.
- P. J. Walker, J. Hutchinson, R. Cant, R. Parmenter, and G. Knox, “Chronic drooling: a multidisciplinary approach to assessment and management,” Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 1, pp. 27–32, 2001.
- G. Dunlop and P. Carter, “Surgical intervention for drooling,” Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 475–477, 1997.
- C. M. Bailey and P. V. Wadsworth, “Treatment of the drooling child by submandibular duct transposition,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 1111–1117, 1985.
- H. S. Uppal, R. De, A. R. D'Souza, K. Pearman, and D. W. Proops, “Bilateral submandibular duct relocation for drooling: an evaluation of results for the Birmingham Children's Hospital,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 260, no. 1, pp. 48–51, 2003.
- K. O. Bushara, “Sialorrhea in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a hypothesis of a new treatment—Botulinum toxin a injections of the parotid glands,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 337–339, 1997.
- R. T. Cotton and M. A. Richardson, “The effect of submandibular duct rerouting in the treatment of sialorrhea in children,” Otolaryngology, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 535–541, 1981.
- J. E. Bothwell, K. Clarke, J. M. Dooley et al., “Botulinum toxin A as a treatment for excessive drooling in children,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 18–22, 2002.
- D. Lal and A. J. Hotaling, “Drooling,” Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 381–386, 2006.