- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 370495, 4 pages
Ultrasonographic Evaluation of Bowel Wall Thickness and Intramural Blood Flow in Ulcerative Colitis
1Tuberculosis and Lung Disease Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51656-65811, Iran
2Liver and Gastroenterology Diseases Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51656-65811, Iran
3Department of Radiology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51656-65811, Iran
4Medical Philosophy and History Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51656-65811, Iran
5Students Research Committee, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51656-65811, Iran
Received 26 January 2012; Accepted 21 February 2012
Academic Editors: A. Nakajima, A. A. te Velde, and A. Weimann
Copyright © 2012 Abolhassan Shakeri Bavil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Horsthuis, P. C. F. Stokkers, and J. Stoker, “Detection of inflammatory bowel disease: diagnostic performance of cross-sectional imaging modalities,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 407–416, 2008.
- R. Ambrosini, A. Barchiesi, V. Di Mizio et al., “Inflammatory chronic disease of the colon: how to image,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 442–448, 2007.
- C. B. Ibrahim, O. C. Aroniadis, and L. J. Brandt, “On the role of ischemia in the pathogenesis of IBD: a review,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 696–702, 2010.
- L. Deban, C. Correale, S. Vetrano, A. Malesci, and S. Danese, “Multiple pathogenic roles of microvasculature in inflammatory bowel disease: a jack of all trades,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 172, no. 6, pp. 1457–1466, 2008.
- F. Parente, M. Molteni, B. Marino et al., “Are colonoscopy and bowel ultrasound useful for assessing response to short-term therapy and predicting disease outcome of moderate-to-severe forms of ulcerative colitis: a prospective study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1150–1157, 2010.
- D. P. Hurlstone, D. S. Sanders, A. J. Lobo, M. E. McAlindon, and S. S. Cross, “Prospective evaluation of high-frequency mini-probe ultrasound colonoscopic imaging in ulcerative colitis: a valid tool for predicting clinical severity,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1325–1331, 2005.
- C. F. Dietrich, “Significance of abdominal ultrasound in inflammatory bowel disease,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 482–493, 2009.
- A. Di Sabatino, E. Armellini, and G. R. Corazza, “Doppler sonography in the diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 63–66, 2004.
- K. Ghabili, H. T. Khosroshahi, A. Shakeri, R. S. Tubbs, A. Bahluli, and M. M. Shoja, “Can Doppler ultrasonographic indices of the renal artery predict the presence of supernumerary renal arteries?” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 2731–2733, 2009.
- M. Nemati, S. Aslanabadi, A. S. Bavil et al., “Diagnostic accuracy of Doppler ultrasonography in differentiation between malignant and benign cervical lymphadenopathies in pediatric age group,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 13, no. 15, pp. 757–760, 2010.
- K. Ansarin, A. S. Bavil, K. Ghabili et al., “Are Doppler ultrasonography parameters symmetric between the right and left kidney?” International Journal of General Medicine, vol. 3, pp. 371–373, 2010.
- S. C. Truelove and L. J. Witts, “Cortisone in ulcerative colitis; final report on a therapeutic trial,” British medical journal, vol. 2, no. 4947, pp. 1041–1048, 1955.
- R. Heyne, S. Rickes, P. Bock, S. Schreiber, W. Wermke, and H. Lochs, “Non-invasive evaluation of activity in inflammatory bowel disease by power Doppler sonography,” Zeitschrift fur Gastroenterologie, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 171–175, 2002.
- L. Ruess, A. R. Nussbaum Blask, D. I. Bulas et al., “Inflammatory bowel disease in children and young adults: correlation of sonographic and clinical parameters during treatment,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 2000.
- M. Shirahama, H. Ishibashi, S. Onohara, and Y. Miyamoto, “Application of color Doppler ultrasonography to ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Medical Ultrasonics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2003.
- G. Maconi, V. Imbesi, and G. Bianchi Porro, “Doppler ultrasound measurement of intestinal blood flow in inflammatory bowel disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 590–593, 1996.
- D. Ludwig, S. Wieners, A. Brüning et al., “Mesenteric blood flow is related to disease activity and risk of relapse in ulcerative colitis: a prospective follow up study,” Gut, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 546–552, 1999.
- P. Mirk, G. Palazzoni, and P. Gimondo, “Doppler sonography of hemodynamic changes of the inferior mesenteric artery in inflammatory bowel disease: preliminary data,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 381–387, 1999.
- A. Siǧirci, T. Baysal, R. Kutlu, M. Aladaǧ, K. Saraç, and H. Harputluoǧlu, “Doppler sonography of the inferior and superior mesenteric arteries in ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 130–139, 2001.
- N. Kalantzis, P. Rouvella, S. Tarazis et al., “Doppler US of superior mesenteric artery in the assessment of ulcerative colitis. A prospective study,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 49, no. 43, pp. 168–171, 2002.
- N. Homann, U. Klarmann, K. Fellermann et al., “Mesenteric pulsatility index analysis predicts response to azathioprine in patients with Crohn's disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 126–132, 2005.
- A. R. Bremner, M. Griffiths, J. D. Argent, J. J. Fairhurst, and R. M. Beattie, “Sonographic evaluation of inflammatory bowel disease: a prospective, blinded, comparative study,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 947–953, 2006.
- G. Maconi, S. Ardizzone, F. Parente, and G. Bianchi Porro, “Ultrasonography in the evaluation of extension, activity, and follow-up of ulcerative colitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1103–1107, 1999.
- M. I. Qamar and A. E. Read, “Effects of exercise on mesenteric blood flow in man,” Gut, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 583–587, 1987.
- G. L. Moneta, D. C. Taylor, W. S. Helton, M. W. Mulholland, and D. E. Strandness, “Duplex ultrasound measurement of postprandial intestinal blood flow: effect of meal composition,” Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1294–1301, 1988.
- D. Strobel, R. S. Goertz, and T. Bernatik, “Diagnostics in inflammatory bowel disease: ultrasound,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 27, pp. 3192–3197, 2011.
- D. Ishikawa, T. Ando, O. Watanabe et al., “Images of colonic real-time tissue sonoelastography correlate with those of colonoscopy and may predict response to therapy in patients with ulcerative colitis,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 11, article 29, 2011.
- C. Girlich, D. Schacherer, E. M. Jung, F. Klebl, and E. Huber, “Comparison between quantitative assessment of bowel wall vascularization by contrast-enhanced ultrasound and results of histopathological scoring in ulcerative colitis,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 193–198, 2012.
- T. Yamaguchi, S. Yoshida, S. Tanaka et al., “Predicting the clinical response to cytapheresis in steroid-refractory or -dependent ulcerative colitis using contrast-enhanced ultrasonography,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 831–837, 2009.