- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 373748, 4 pages
WCST Performance in Schizophrenia and Severe Depression with Psychotic Features
Department of Psychiatry, Alexandria University, P.O. Box 518, Alexandria 21511, Egypt
Received 14 October 2011; Accepted 30 November 2011
Academic Editors: B. Biancosino and A. Peled
Copyright © 2012 Ahmed Rady et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Dubovsky, “Mood disorders,” in Text Book of Psychiatry, pp. 579–590, American Psychiatric Press, 3rd edition, 2000.
- G. M. Simpson, A. El Sheshai, A. Rady, S. J. Kingsbury, and M. Fayek, “Sertraline as monotherapy in the treatment of psychotic and nonpsychotic depression,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 959–965, 2003.
- K. H. Neuchterlein, M. E. Dawson, J. Ventura, D. Miklowitz, and G. Konishi, “Information-processing anomalies in the early course of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 195–196, 1991.
- H. Silver and P. Feldman, “Evidence for sustained attention and working memory in schizophrenia sharing a common mechanism,” Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 391–398, 2005.
- S. J. Luck and J. M. Gold, “The Cconstruct of attention in schizophrenia,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 2008.
- J. Y. Yen, C. H. Ko, C. F. Yen, H. Y. Wu, and M. J. Yang, “The comorbid psychiatric symptoms of internet addiction: attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, social phobia, and hostility,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2007.
- E. B. Nelson, K. W. Sax, and S. M. Strakowski, “Attentional performance in patients with psychotic and nonpsychotic major depression and schizophrenia,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 137–139, 1998.
- S. K. Liu, C. H. Chiu, C. J. Chang, T. J. Hwang, H. G. Hwu, and W. J. Chen, “Deficits in sustained attention in schizophrenia and affective disorders: stable versus state-dependent markers,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 159, no. 6, pp. 975–982, 2002.
- E. P. Merriam, M. E. Thase, G. L. Haas, M. S. Keshavan, and J. A. Sweeney, “Prefrontal cortical dysfunction in depression determined by Wisconsin Card Sorting Test performance,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 780–782, 1999.
- T. B. Monika, F. Antoni, G. Piotr, M. Marian, and Z. Krzysztof, “Wisconsin card sorting test in psychological examination of patients with psychiatric disorders,” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 51–52, 2008.
- A. Karabekiroǧlu, V. Topçuoǧlu, A. Gimzal Gönentür, and K. Karabekiroǧlu, “Executive function differences between first episode and recurrent major depression patients,” Türk Psikiyatri Dergisi, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 280–288, 2010.
- M. B. First, R. L. Spitzer, M. Gibbon, and J. B. W. Williams, Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, Clinician Version (SCID-CV), American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, 4th edition, 1994.
- W. Guy, ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology, US Department of Health Education and Welfare DHEW Publication, 1976.
- M. A. Ventura, M. F. Green, A. Shaner, et al., “Training and quality assurance with the brief psychiatric rating scale: “the drift buster”,” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 3, pp. 221–244, 1993.
- R. K. Heaton, WCST: Computer Version-2 Research Edition Manual, Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, Fla, USA, 1993.
- R. K. Heaton, A Manual for the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test, Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, Fla, USA, 1981.
- E. J. Nestler, M. Barrot, R. J. DiLeone, A. J. Eisch, S. J. Gold, and L. M. Monteggia, “Neurobiology of depression,” Neuron, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 13–25, 2002.
- T. E. Goldberg, D. R. Weinberger, K. F. Berman, N. H. Pliskin, and M. H. Podd, “Further evidence for dementia of the prefrontal type in schizophrenia? A controlled study of teaching the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 1008–1014, 1987.
- S. Raffard, M. C. Gely-Nargeot, D. Capdevielle, S. Bayard, and J. P. Boulenger, “Learning potential and cognitive remediation in schizophrenia,” Encephale, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 353–360, 2009.
- A. Zanello, L. Perrig, and P. Huguelet, “Cognitive functions related to interpersonal problem-solving skills in schizophrenic patients compared with healthy subjects,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 67–78, 2006.
- W. Perry, E. G. Potterat, and D. L. Braff, “Self-monitoring enhances Wisconsin Card Sorting Test performance in patients with schizophrenia: performance is improved by simply asking patients to verbalize their sorting strategy,” Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 344–352, 2001.
- J. A. Gray, J. Feldon, J. N. P. Rawlins, D. R. Hemsley, and A. D. Smith, “The neuropsychology of schizophrenia,” Behavioral and Brain Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1–84, 1991.
- A. S. Bellack, J. J. Blanchard, P. Murphy, and K. Podell, “Generalization effects of training on the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test for schizophrenia patients,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 19, no. 2-3, pp. 189–194, 1996.
- A. T. Summerfelt, L. D. Alphs, F. R. Funderburk et al., “Impaired Wisconsin Card Sort performance in schizophrenia may reflect motivational deficits,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 282–283, 1991.
- M. G. Vollema, G. J. Geurtsen, and A. J. P. Van Voorst, “Durable improvements in Wisconsin Card Sorting Test performance in schizophrenic patients,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 209–215, 1995.
- A. S. Bellack, K. T. Mueser, R. L. Morrison, A. Tierney, and K. Podell, “Remediation of cognitive deficits in schizophrenia,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 147, no. 12, pp. 1650–1655, 1990.