- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 390193, 6 pages
External Beam Therapy in a Four-Field Box Technique with Paclitaxel versus a Two-Field Technique with Cisplatin in Locally Advanced Carcinoma Cervix: A Phase II Monocentric Trial
1Cancer Care Kenya, P.O. Box 39173, Nairobi, Kenya
2B. P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital, Bharatpur, Chitwan, Nepal
Received 14 November 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editors: G. Kovacs and C. Perez
Copyright © 2012 Vijayakumar Narayanan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Segnan, “Socioeconomic status and cancer screening,” IARC Scientific Publications, no. 138, pp. 369–376, 1997.
- R. Sankaranarayanan, N. Bhatla, P. E. Gravitt et al., “Human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer prevention in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal. In: ICO Monograph Series on HPV and Cervical Cancer: Asia Pacific Regional Report 2008,” Vaccine, vol. 26, supplement 12, pp. M43–M52, 2008.
- F. Parazzini, L. Chatenoud, C. La Vecchia, E. Negri, S. Franceschi, and G. Bollis, “Determinants of risk of invasive cervical cancer in young women,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 838–841, 1998.
- V. Gawande, S. N. Wahab, S. P. Zodpey, and N. D. Vasudeo, “Parity as a risk factor for cancer cervix,” Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 147–150, 1998.
- F. Landoni, A. Maneo, A. Colombo et al., “Randomised study of radical surgery versus radiotherapy for stage IB-IIA cervical cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9077, pp. 535–540, 1997.
- W. C. Hsu, N. N. Chung, Y. C. Chen et al., “Comparison of surgery or radiotherapy on complications and quality of life in patients with the stage IB and IIA uterine cervical cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 41–45, 2009.
- M. Morris, P. J. Eifel, J. Lu et al., “Pelvic radiation with concurrent chemotherapy compared with pelvic and Para-aortic radiation for high-risk cervical cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 15, pp. 1137–1143, 1999.
- P. G. Rose, B. N. Bundy, E. B. Watkins et al., “Concurrent cisplatin-based radiotherapy and chemotherapy for locally advanced cervical cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 15, pp. 1144–1153, 1999.
- C. W. Whitney, W. Sause, B. N. Bundy et al., “Randomized comparison of fluorouracil plus cisplatin versus hydroxyurea as an adjunct to radiation therapy in stage IIB-IVA carcinoma of the cervix with negative para-aortic lymph nodes: a gynecologic oncology group and Southwest oncology group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1339–1348, 1999.
- J. A. Green, J. M. Kirwan, J. F. Tierney et al., “Survival and recurrence after concomitant chemotherapy and radiotherapy for cancer of the uterine cervix: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9284, pp. 781–786, 2001.
- H. Lukka, H. Hirte, A. Fyles et al., “Concurrent cisplatin-based chemotherapy plus radiotherapy for cervical cancer—a meta-analysis,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 203–212, 2002.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network: cervical cancer Version 2.2013, http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/cervical.pdf.
- N. Wang, Q. L. Guan, K. Wang et al., “Radiochemotherapy versus radiotherapy in locally advanced cervical cancer: a meta-analysis,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 283, no. 1, pp. 103–108, 2011.
- S. Kato, T. Ohno, K. Thephamongkhol et al., “Multi-institutional phase II clinical study of concurrent chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced cervical cancer in East and Southeast Asia,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 751–757, 2010.
- P. J. Eifel, W. W. Thoms Jr., T. L. Smith, M. Morris, and M. J. Oswald, “The relationship between brachytherapy dose and outcome in patients with bulky endocervical tumors treated with radiation alone,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 113–118, 1994.
- J. D. Cox, J. Stetz, and T. F. Pajak, “Toxicity criteria of the radiation therapy oncology group (RTOG) and the European organization for research and treatment of cancer (EORTC),” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1341–1346, 1995.
- L. C. Wong, Y. C. Choo, D. Choy, J. S. T. Sham, and H. K. Ma, “Longterm follow up of potentiation of radiotherapy by Cis-platinum in advanced cervical cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 159–163, 1989.
- C. T. Coughlin and R. C. Richmond, “Biologic and clinical developments of cisplatin combined with radiation: concepts, utility, projections for new trials, and the emergence of carboplatin,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 16, no. 4, supplement 6, pp. 31–43, 1989.
- A. P. Kudelka, R. Winn, C. L. Edwards et al., “Activity of paclitaxel in advanced or recurrent squamous cell cancer of the cervix,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 1285–1288, 1996.
- A. Cerrotta, G. Gardan, R. Cavina et al., “Concurrent radiotherapy and weekly Paclitaxel for locally advanced or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix. A pilot study with intensification of dose,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 115–119, 2002.
- J. Liebmann, J. A. Cook, J. Fisher, D. Teague, and J. B. Mitchell, “In vitro studies of taxol as a radiation sensitizer in human tumor cells,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 441–446, 1994.
- WHO, Handbook for Reporting Results of Cancer Treatment, World Health Organisation Offset Publication, Geneva, Switzerland, 1979.
- A. B. Miller, B. Hoogstraten, M. Staquet, and A. Winkler, “Reporting results of cancer treatment,” Cancer, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 207–214, 1981.
- C. A. Perez, P. W. Grigsby, H. Castro-Vita, and M. A. Lockett, “Carcinoma of the uterine cervix. I. Impact of prolongation of overall treatment time and timing of brachytherapy on outcome of radiation therapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1275–1288, 1995.
- R. M. Lanciano, T. F. Pajak, K. Martz, and G. E. Hanks, “The influence of treatment time on outcome for squamous cell cancer of the uterine cervix treated with radiation: a patterns-of-care study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 391–397, 1993.