- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 396590, 6 pages
Fungi and Mycotoxins from Pre- and Poststorage Brewer's Grain Intended for Bovine Intensive Rearing
1Departamento de Microbiologia e Imunologia Veterinária, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Rodovia BR 465 Km 7, 23890-000 Seropédica, RJ, Brazil
2Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq), Brasilia, DF, Brazil
3Departamento de Microbiología e Inmunología, Universidad Nacional de Río Cuarto, Ruta 36 Km 601, Córdoba, 5800 Río Cuarto, Argentina
4Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET), Buenos Aires, Argentina
Received 14 June 2012; Accepted 23 August 2012
Academic Editors: K.-P. Brüssow and R. Gamble
Copyright © 2012 L. A. M. Keller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. M. Lopez-Diaz and B. Flannigan, “Production of patulin and cytochalasin E by Aspergillus clavatus during malting of barley and wheat,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 129–136, 1997.
- M. H. Fagundes, “Sementes de cevada,” http://www.conab.gov.br/OlalaCMS/uploads/arquivos/ee9b65650e13403f19f724263401b977..pdf.
- V. M. Dos Santos, J. W. Dorner, and F. Carreira, “Isolation and toxigenicity of Aspergillus fumigatus from moldy silage,” Mycopathologia, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2003.
- K. E. Akande, M. M. Abubakar, T. A. Adegbola, and S. E. Bogoro, “Nutritional and health implications of mycotoxins in animal feeds,” Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 398–403, 2006.
- A. Yiannikouris and J. P. Jouany, “Mycotoxins in feeds and their fate in animals: a review,” Animal Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 81–99, 2002.
- A. Khanafari, H. Soudi, and M. Miraboulfathi, “Biocontrol of Aspergillus flavus and aflatoxin B1 production in corn,” Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 163–168, 2007.
- G. S. Murthy, D. E. Townsend, G. L. Meerdink, G. L. Bargren, M. E. Tumbleson, and V. Singh, “Effect of aflatoxin B1 on dry-grind ethanol process,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 302–304, 2005.
- M. L. Abarca, F. Accensi, M. R. Bragulat, and F. J. Cabañes, “Current importance of ochratoxin A-producing Aspergillus spp,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 903–906, 2001.
- C. Magnoli, A. Astoreca, L. Ponsone et al., “Survey of mycoflora and ochratoxin A in dried vine fruits from Argentina markets,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 326–331, 2004.
- C. Magnoli, A. Astoreca, L. Ponsone, M. G. Fernández-Juri, S. Chiacchiera, and A. Dalcero, “Ochratoxin A and the occurrence of ochratoxin A-producing black aspergilli in stored peanut seeds from Córdoba, Argentina,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 86, no. 14, pp. 2369–2373, 2006.
- P. Karlovsky, “Biological detoxification of fungal toxins and its use in plant breeding, feed and food protection,” Natural Toxins, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–23, 1999.
- K. A. Voss, G. W. Smith, and W. M. Haschek, “Fumonisins: toxicokinetics, mechanism of action and toxicity,” Animal Feed Science and Technology, vol. 137, no. 3-4, pp. 299–325, 2007.
- B. A. Rotter, D. B. Prelusky, and J. J. Pestka, “Toxicology of deoxynivalenol (vomitoxin),” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–34, 1996.
- W. M. Haschek, K. A. Voss, and V. R. Beasley, “Selected mycotoxins affecting animal and human health,” in Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology, W. M. Haschek, C. G. Roussex, and M. A. Wallig, Eds., pp. 645–698, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2002.
- M. M. S. Simas, M. B. Botura, B. Correa et al., “Determination of fungal microbiota and mycotoxins in brewers grain used in dairy cattle feeding in the State of Bahia, Brazil,” Food Control, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 404–408, 2007.
- M. J. M. Batatinha, M. M. S. Simas, M. B. Botura, T. C. Bitencourt, T. A. Reis, and B. Correa, “Fumonisins in brewers grain (barley) used as dairy cattle feed in the State of Bahia, Brazil,” Food Control, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 608–612, 2007.
- C. A. R. Rosa, L. R. Cavaglieri, J. M. M. Ribeiro, et al., “Mycobiota and naturally-ochratoxin A in dairy cattle feed from Rio de Janeiro State,” World Mycotoxin Journal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 2008.
- L. R. Cavaglieri, K. M. Keller, C. M. Pereyra et al., “Fungi and natural incidence of selected mycotoxins in barley rootlets,” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 147–150, 2009.
- Y. Ohyama, S. Masaki, and S. Hara, “Factors influencing aerobic deterioration of silages and changes in chemical composition after opening silos,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1137–1147, 1975.
- J. I. Pitt and A. D. Hocking, Fungi and Food Spoilage, Cambridge: Chapman & Hall, 2nd edition, 1997.
- M. L. Abarca, M. R. Bragulat, G. Castellá, and F. J. Cabañes, “Ochratoxin A production by strains of Aspergillus niger var. niger,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 2650–2652, 1994.
- P. E. Nelson, T. A. Toussoun, and W. F. O. Marasas, Fusarium Species: An Illustrated Manual for Identification, The Pennsylvania State University Press, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1983.
- M. A. Klich, Identification of Common Aspergillus Species, Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 2002.
- R. A. Samson, E. S. Van reenen-Hoekstra, J. C. Frisvad, and O. Filtenborg, Introduction to Food and Airborne Fungi, Centraalbureau Voor Schimmelcultures. Institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 6th edition, 2000.
- L. M. V. Soares and D. B. Rodriguez-Amaya, “Survey of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A, zearalenone, and sterigmatocystin in some Brazilian foods by using multi-toxin thin-layer chromatographic method,” Journal of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 22–26, 1989.
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), GMP Certification Scheme Animal Feed, Sector 2006, Appendix 1: Product standards; Regulations on Product Standards in the Animal Feed Sector, pp. 1–39, 2008.
- J. M. Silva, Silagem de forrageiras tropicais, Embrapa Gado de Corte Divulga, 2001, http://www.cnpgc.embrapa.br/publicacoes/divulga/GCD51.html.
- V. W. Ogundero, “Toxigenic fungi and the deterioration of nigerian poultry feeds,” Mycopathologia, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 75–83, 1987.
- H. M. Martins and M. L. Martins, “Mycological quality evaluation of bovine feedstuffs (Portugal: 1996–1999),” Revista Portuguesa de Ciências Veterinárias, vol. 96, pp. 85–88, 2001.
- E. B. Lillehoj, “Feed sources and conditions conducive to production of aflatoxin, ochratoxin, Fusarium toxins, and zearalenone,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 163, no. 11, pp. 1281–1284, 1973.
- G. A. Gerbaldo, C. M. Pereyra, L. R. Cavaglieri et al., “Surveillance of aflatoxin and microbiota related to brewers grain destined for swine feed in Argentina,” Veterinary Medicine International, vol. 2011, Article ID 912480, 7 pages, 2011.