- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 406872, 4 pages
Ten-Year Experience with Open Prostatectomy in Maiduguri
1Department of Surgery, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, PMB 1414, Borno State, Maiduguri, Nigeria
2Department of Surgery, College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri, Nigeria
Received 11 August 2012; Accepted 21 October 2012
Academic Editors: A. Fandella, A. C. Thorpe, and K. H. Tsui
Copyright © 2012 Ibrahim Ahmed Gadam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Hartung, “Transurethral prostatectomy (TURP): still the gold standard?” Journal d'Urologie, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 18–21, 1995.
- Y. Arai, S. Ishitoya, K. Okubo, and Y. Suzuki, “Transurethral interstitial laser coagulation for benign prostatic hyperplasia: treatment outcome and quality of life,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 1996.
- M. A. Cabelin, A. E. Te, and S. A. Kaplan, “Transurethral vaporization of the prostate: current techniques,” Current urology reports, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 116–123, 2000.
- M. J. Naslund, “The cost comparison TUNA versus TURP,” Journal of Urology, vol. 157, p. 155, 1997.
- R. Sood, V. Jain, and D. Chauhan, “Giant prostatic hyperplasia: surgical management of a case,” Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 232–233, 2006.
- K. Kurokawa, Y. Tamura, H. Ogura et al., “Open surgery of elderly patients with benign prostatic hypertrophy,” Acta Urologica Japonica, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1167–1172, 1990.
- N. A. Berhanu, “Safety and efficacy of transversical prostatectomy done at primary general hospital setting in Ethiopia,” East and Central African Journal of Surgery, vol. 13, pp. 53–60, 2008.
- A. Tubaro, S. Carter, A. Hind, C. Vicentini, and L. Miano, “A prospective study of the safety and efficacy of suprapubic transvesical prostatectomy in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Journal of Urology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 172–176, 2001.
- E. E. Akpo and M. O. Akpo, “Giant benign prostatic hyperplasia in a Nigeria: report of a case,” The Internet Journal of Urology, vol. 8, no. 1, 2011.
- H. Yonou, M. Goya, M. Miyazato, K. Sugaya, T. Hatano, and Y. Ogawa, “Giant prostatic hypertrophy: a case report,” Hinyokika Kiyo, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 375–377, 1999.
- V. M. Ramyil, N. K. Dakum, H. U. Liman, and E. I. Udeh, “The management of prostatic haematuria,” Nigerian Journal of Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 439–442, 2008.
- E. B. Ostroff and O. W. Chenault, “Alum irrigation for the control of massive bladder hemorrhage,” Journal of Urology, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 929–930, 1982.
- N. V. Raghavaiah and M. S. Soloway, “Anuria following silver nitrate irrigation for intractable bladder hemorrhage,” Journal of Urology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 681–682, 1977.
- J. Concato, R. I. Horwitz, A. R. Feinstein, J. G. Elmore, and S. F. Schiff, “Problems of comorbidity in mortality after prostatectomy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 267, no. 8, pp. 1077–1082, 1992.
- D. K. Kiptoon, G. A. O. Magoha, and F. A. Owillah, “Early postoperative outcomes of patients undergoing prostatectomy for benign prostatic hyperplasia at Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 84, no. 9, supplement, pp. S40–S44, 2007.
- V. Serretta, G. Morgia, L. Fondacaro et al., “Open prostatectomy for benign prostatic enlargement in southern Europe in the late 1990s: a contemporary series of 1800 interventions,” Urology, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 623–627, 2002.
- R. M. Kuntz, K. Lehrich, and S. A. Ahyai, “Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate versus open prostatectomy for prostates greater than 100 grams: 5-year follow-up results of a randomised clinical trial,” European Urology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 160–168, 2008.
- A. G. Hill and P. Njoroge, “Suprapubic transvesical prostatectomy in a rural Kenyan hospital,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 65–67, 2002.
- A. Gregoire, “ABC of sexual health: assessing and managing male sexual problems,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7179, pp. 315–317, 1999.
- I. Varkarakis, Z. Kyriakakis, A. Delis, V. Protogerou, and C. Deliveliotis, “Long-term results of open transvesical prostatectomy from a contemporary series of patients,” Urology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 306–310, 2004.
- H. Hendolin, M. A. K. Mattila, and E. Poikolainen, “The effect of lumbar epidural analgesia on the development of deep vein thrombosis of the legs after open prostatectomy,” Acta Chirurgica Scandinavica, vol. 147, no. 6, pp. 425–429, 1981.